2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Pirates beat writer

Not sure how I feel about him. He should be a fallback, fallback option. He's really not any better than Cory Spangenberg at this point. I'm sure we'd love his versatility on defense (2B/3B/OF) but his bat is pretty meh outside of one season. God, Hiura cannot come up soon enough.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yep, 2021 might be when the league collapses on itself.

Might be good to get some of these cheap owners out though. No reason someone who owns a professional sports franchise should be penny pinching.

I fully expect a strike and I 100% support it even though it might be in the Brewers window to win it all. The entire salary scale needs to be changed in baseball. Not sure how they can be locked into super owner friendly deals for 6 (more like 7) years and then have trouble getting even 75% max value for their worth once they are finally able to get paid. Maybe if these guys got accurately paid for their damn near first decade in the league, they wouldn't try to get paid into their 40s.

Like we've said in this thread, I absolutely understand being hesitant to give out long, long term deals to guys entering FA in their early 30s but Machado and Harper are friggin' 26 years old. Even if you give them long term deals, odds are they outperform them greatly before they become "hindrances" and whatnot. 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I fully expect a strike and I 100% support it even though it might be in the Brewers window to win it all. The entire salary scale needs to be changed in baseball. Not sure how they can be locked into super owner friendly deals for 6 (more like 7) years and then have trouble getting even 75% max value for their worth once they are finally able to get paid. Maybe if these guys got accurately paid for their damn near first decade in the league, they wouldn't try to get paid into their 40s.

Like we've said in this thread, I absolutely understand being hesitant to give out long, long term deals to guys entering FA in their early 30s but Machado and Harper are friggin' 26 years old. Even if you give them long term deals, odds are they outperform them greatly before they become "hindrances" and whatnot. 

This has to be at the forefront of the negotiations, IMO.  Either reduce the number of years of team control; allow the players to enter arbitration from year 1; or both. Also need to create a service time calculation that is much harder to manipulate.  

36 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

This has to be at the forefront of the negotiations, IMO.  Either reduce the number of years of team control; allow the players to enter arbitration from year 1; or both. Also need to create a service time calculation that is much harder to manipulate.  

I'm thinking they need to start at a salary cap/salary floor with a global percentage of revenue. Get it back to the 48-52% window that works for pro sports leagues, and put the revenue sharing onus on teams. If they don't meet the minimum window, they have to pay it as a lump sum to players starting with lowest salary to highest until they hit the threshold.

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm thinking they need to start at a salary cap/salary floor with a global percentage of revenue. Get it back to the 48-52% window that works for pro sports leagues, and put the revenue sharing onus on teams. If they don't meet the minimum window, they have to pay it as a lump sum to players starting with lowest salary to highest until they hit the threshold.

This would be 1B on the agenda.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Only good can come from this. Either Dolan ponies up and pays dudes (I laughed out loud too), or he sells the team.

IT'S A WIN/WIN!!!!

Archived