2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Just now, jrry32 said:

Do you have a defense? Can you tell us why it's a good idea for the Yankees not to sign them?

Wait. You just said you're not attacking me....but now I have to have a defense? Or I'm supposed to defend the Yankees?
I've explained my thinking about the players involved and the system in place multiple times over multiple posts. The story doesnt change the more I repeat it.

Just now, Leader said:

Wait. You just said you're not attacking me....but now I have to have a defense? Or I'm supposed to defend the Yankees?
I've explained my thinking about the players involved and the system in place multiple times over multiple posts. The story doesnt change the more I repeat it.

Leader, you're a smart fellow. If I were attacking you, that would entail insults. I am asking you to defend your position. We are having a debate. You took a stance. Your stance is that the Yankees shouldn't sign either player at their current market value. I am asking you to defend that stance. As we have already established, the Yankees exceeding the luxury tax isn't an effective defense. I am asking for a different defense. I am asking you why it would be bad for the Yankees.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Leader, you're a smart fellow. If I were attacking you, that would entail insults. I am asking you to defend your position. We are having a debate. You took a stance. Your stance is that the Yankees shouldn't sign either player at their current market value. I am asking you to defend that stance. As we have already established, the Yankees exceeding the luxury tax isn't an effective defense. I am asking for a different defense. I am asking you why it would be bad for the Yankees.

Sigh. I dont need to defend anything. I've already discussed this in total and answered your questions on previous posts.

Just now, Leader said:

Sigh. I dont need to defend anything. I've already discussed this in total and answered your questions on previous posts.

Yeah, you haven't. You've argued this on financial grounds. We've established that finances are more or less irrelevant. Do you believe Machado and Harper would not make the Yankees better?

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, you haven't. You've argued this on financial grounds. We've established that finances are more or less irrelevant. Do you believe Machado and Harper would not make the Yankees better?

LOL Yeah, I have in fact.

From today's NY Post which dovetails with what I've been saying:

"Signing Machado to a mammoth contract as a reaction to Didi Gregorius’ Tommy John surgery, or to Miguel Andujar’s poor defense at third base, never made much sense, and that’s even before addressing the legitimate questions about his personality fit. The Yankees’ greater long-term concerns reside in the outfield, where there just happens to be a lefty-hitting, big-stage-loving free agent named Bryce Harper still available. At the least, the Yankees should meet and engage with Harper the way they did with Machado and see if common ground can be found. They should approach Harper the way the Dodgers have — in other words, “We’re interested in signing you, only on our terms”....."

It's real easy to say someone should give up $70 million in profit when it's not your profit.  The Yankees aren't owned by 1 guy, there are multiple investors involved and at the end of the day MLB is a business.  Saying they can just ignore that is pure fanspeak.  I largely agree with you in regards that they do it out of greed, but so does every business.  Last I checked the Yankees weren't a charity or a non-profit.  Amazon isn't open to break even or make marginal profits.

I'm firmly in the camp of when the players strike at he end of the CBA (which seems almost a certainty) the system that should emerge is a salary cap set on 50% of league revenues with a salary floor of at least 85% of that number.  To make this work revenue sharing from MLB media deals should be increased to where each team gets a check from the league that essentially covers the salary cap, and any additional profits will need to be worked out by the individual teams.  The concession the players should give to get to this point is that contracts should no longer be fully guaranteed.  In turn this will greatly increase the AAV of contracts and the players that actually produce will get paid.  There will need to be some sort of incentivization for players to stick with their original teams, and with that provision, I think the arbitration years should be eliminated so that players get FA money after 3 years.  Pay the players that produce in the now the big money they deserve without being tied to them for the decline years.  That plan might have a few kinks to work out, but it'd pay the players more, it'd take away the competitive advantage of just being able to spend more.

Oh, and take part of that 50% to institute a minor league minimum salary of $50,000/year.  Shame on the owners for how little they pay minor leaguers, and shame on the players union for continually throwing them under the bus for the most minor of big league concessions in collective bargaining. I'll fight for those guys to get paid 1000 times before I fight for the top MLB players to get an extra $10 million

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's real easy to say someone should give up $70 million in profit when it's not your profit.  The Yankees aren't owned by 1 guy, there are multiple investors involved and at the end of the day MLB is a business.  Saying they can just ignore that is pure fanspeak.  I largely agree with you in regards that they do it out of greed, but so does every business.  Last I checked the Yankees weren't a charity or a non-profit.  Amazon isn't open to break even or make marginal profits.

I can't believe we, as sports fans, have accepted this reasoning. Un-freaking-believable.

When the owner's right to make obscene profits becomes more important than the joy of sport then the league needs to burn. Americans need to stop worshiping the rich.

38 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm firmly in the camp of when the players strike at he end of the CBA (which seems almost a certainty) the system that should emerge is a salary cap set on 50% of league revenues with a salary floor of at least 85% of that number.  To make this work revenue sharing from MLB media deals should be increased to where each team gets a check from the league that essentially covers the salary cap, and any additional profits will need to be worked out by the individual teams.  The concession the players should give to get to this point is that contracts should no longer be fully guaranteed.  In turn this will greatly increase the AAV of contracts and the players that actually produce will get paid.  There will need to be some sort of incentivization for players to stick with their original teams, and with that provision, I think the arbitration years should be eliminated so that players get FA money after 3 years.  Pay the players that produce in the now the big money they deserve without being tied to them for the decline years.  That plan might have a few kinks to work out, but it'd pay the players more, it'd take away the competitive advantage of just being able to spend more.

Oh, and take part of that 50% to institute a minor league minimum salary of $50,000/year.  Shame on the owners for how little they pay minor leaguers, and shame on the players union for continually throwing them under the bus for the most minor of big league concessions in collective bargaining. I'll fight for those guys to get paid 1000 times before I fight for the top MLB players to get an extra $10 million

It’s a bad business decision.  The Yankees matter because they are the evil empire.  When that crumbles the entire sport is doomed

Archived