2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 1/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, FalconFan13 said:

Either 1.  You don't live in georgia,  2. You don't work in a sports store and talk to tons of braves fan daily, 3. Don't listen to 92.9 the game every day, or 4. Have never visited the  Braves Forums before they got shut down.   I have been all 4 and their are a ton of people who want Harper on each thing.  Now i will say that very few of us want him for the 350 to 400 mil price tag he is wanting for 10 years.  Screw that noise i don't want anyone for that as i don't trust that contract to be healthy 6 to 7+ years from now. But for a good 5 years at 30 to 40 mil i wouldn't have any problem him being added to the RF for that.  More so 5 yrs at 35  or 3 yrs at 38 to 40.  Before our young guys contracts start needing to be done. 

1. Irrelevant but close to all my life, outside a couple years in SC (also considered braves country)

2. Irrelevant, but brick and mortar stores are spitting dust, and a fraction of anyone who even visits them would have time to chat.

3. Absolutely not, and I sincerely hope you dont listen to that garbage

4. Nope, but also irrelevant.

We'd hsve to define a lot, but seeing how braves have one of the larger fan bases in baseball, its reasonable to expect we're talking hundreds of thousands and not simply a couple dozen. Freemans contract is up in 2021, same time Folty hits FA and id expect we look to sign him long term. even if we roll with all younger guys in the field, theres still talk that we want a legit ace pitcher. Committing to harper for 35-40/year would be stretching our budget extremely thin and leave little money to improve other areas.as talented as he is, this isnt basketball where one guy can make you a contender overnight. IMO we're better off spending 30 mil on above average guys than one superstar.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

An agent's denial doesn't really change that reporting. If he thinks that report is bad for Manny's market, he's pretty much obligated to lie and deny it.

I don’t disagree. But when there’s three different claims on what the White Sox offered; between this 7 year, $150M deal, the reported 8 year deal, and the other 7 year deal that’s in excess of $200M, I’d tend to believe the agent that the info is false. 

8 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

1. Irrelevant but close to all my life, outside a couple years in SC (also considered braves country)

2. Irrelevant, but brick and mortar stores are spitting dust, and a fraction of anyone who even visits them would have time to chat.

3. Absolutely not, and I sincerely hope you dont listen to that garbage

4. Nope, but also irrelevant.

We'd hsve to define a lot, but seeing how braves have one of the larger fan bases in baseball, its reasonable to expect we're talking hundreds of thousands and not simply a couple dozen. Freemans contract is up in 2021, same time Folty hits FA and id expect we look to sign him long term. even if we roll with all younger guys in the field, theres still talk that we want a legit ace pitcher. Committing to harper for 35-40/year would be stretching our budget extremely thin and leave little money to improve other areas.as talented as he is, this isnt basketball where one guy can make you a contender overnight. IMO we're better off spending 30 mil on above average guys than one superstar.

So from what i can tell you haven't done any research on any of this at all. You haven't talked to anyone about it. and you haven't listened to any sports shows that actually talks about the braves.   Now it makes total sense and as usual you come up with stuff in your own head and think it is a fact over all others.   Same useless stuff you provide as always and i see i don't need to waste anymore time on this with you.

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

So from what i can tell you haven't done any research on any of this at all. You haven't talked to anyone about it. and you haven't listened to any sports shows that actually talks about the braves.   Now it makes total sense and as usual you come up with stuff in your own head and think it is a fact over all others.   Same useless stuff you provide as always and i see i don't need to waste anymore time on this with you.

research on what, how mant braves fans you spoke to? granted we didnt define a "a lot" but byreasonable standards your claim dowsnt quite get there. working at sports authority or listening to crappy sports radio (where even if we assume they blocked out 2 hours for nothing but harper and only took phone calls) does not qualify as a lot (again, by reasonable standards). if youre asking if i reasearched signing harper is doable, then yes. as i already laid out, we could probably do it early on if we were to live with what we have at other spots and not add anywhere. however, as you get deeper in the contract and we have to start paying guys the it gets very prohibitive, assuming we dont get a large bump in the budget.

adults, amd i repeat for emphasis, adults,  are able to disgagree without taking offense. however you take this way to personal, it really isnt as serious as you take it.

18 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Still shocking that people think players should be getting 10 year deals. Dude was offered 175 million but thats lowballing? 

If it’s over 7 years then yes. It shouldn’t be hard to comprehend that when revenue goes up, players salaries should go up as well. Just because 175 million is a big number to fans, doesn’t mean it’s fair. Do you prefer that the billionaire owners just keep the revenue increases? 

Archived