2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

52 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

The Braves would be a great spot for Harper to land.  Also not sure why there's not much more talk about Harper playing 1B for the Yankees...unless he really doesn't want to move out of the OF.  His defensive numbers weren't very good last year.

Full agreed as does alot of Braves fans for our RF position to pair with Ender and Acuna.   Plus Freddie Freeman and Harper are really close and good friends so freeman would love to have him here as well.  Problem is the Braves don't want to come out of the pocket that much to make us better it seems so we probably won't get what we want as fans :(

Question for people smarter than me.  Rams mentioned a few pages back that $9M/win is conservative.  If that's the case, Trout is worth $80-90M per year.  Those are unheard of figures and he'll never sniff a fraction of that, but why?  Where is the fault in the calculation and/or system that Trout will never get his real value?

Even someone like Lindor is worth $50-60M but that will never happen.  Just wondering where the disconnect is.  

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Full agreed as does alot of Braves fans for our RF position to pair with Ender and Acuna.   Plus Freddie Freeman and Harper are really close and good friends so freeman would love to have him here as well.  Problem is the Braves don't want to come out of the pocket that much to make us better it seems so we probably won't get what we want as fans :(

It's the years for them it seems. Hell they gave Donaldson $23 million for this year at a position was already filled with a solid MLB player and a top prospect in the wings. If Harper wanted 5 years at $33 Million I bet the Braves would be in. 

6 hours ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

It's the years for them it seems. Hell they gave Donaldson $23 million for this year at a position was already filled with a solid MLB player and a top prospect in the wings. If Harper wanted 5 years at $33 Million I bet the Braves would be in. 

probably not tbh. The braves could afford that contract for Donaldson this year because they have so many guys still under control. Pretty sure they dont want 50% of their payroll  to two players, and long term it likely isnt viable money wise. Heck, theres talk we dot have the money for Pollock until his price tag comes down, and hes asking for what, like 100/5? I am curious to see all these braves fans who want harper that @FalconFan13 mentioned.

9 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Question for people smarter than me.  Rams mentioned a few pages back that $9M/win is conservative.  If that's the case, Trout is worth $80-90M per year.  Those are unheard of figures and he'll never sniff a fraction of that, but why?  Where is the fault in the calculation and/or system that Trout will never get his real value?

Even someone like Lindor is worth $50-60M but that will never happen.  Just wondering where the disconnect is.  

That's on a 1 year deal, any time beyond that there's more uncertainty which is going to lower the AAV. Players aren't going to try and max out the AAV since they are going to want stability, and teams are okay with lowering the AAV in future years because they are getting immediate production at a discount.

Or at least, that's how it's been historically.

Excerpt from an SI article:

All well and good—but this is the Yankees we’re talking about, not the Rays or A’s forever fiddling their way to a semi-functional roster using coupons and bus fare. New York can sign the superstar. Of all the teams, this is the one that’s supposed to be able to cut the Gordian knot that is building a championship roster by adopting the Alexandrian solution of simply adding the best player no matter the cost. There’s nothing wrong with adding LeMahieu or Tulowitzki or anyone else, but it feels like an oddly complicated decision to collect flawed contingency plans instead of just giving a far better player the money he wants to fill a position of need.

But that’s baseball as we trudge into 2019, where even the ultra-rich super teams try to claw back every cent in contracts with top talent. And to a certain extent, why should the Yankees act otherwise? They don’t need Machado to make the playoffs next year, as blighted as the rest of the American League is, and they don’t need him to keep making money, even as mad as the fans are going to be if the winter comes and goes without him. Why spend a lot to win when you can spend less and still get the same result? LeMahieu won’t be Machado—he won’t be anything close—but with him on board, the Yankees will still win 95-plus games and make the postseason.

But it does feel like, for both the Yankees and the rest of the contenders dithering and blustering instead of just, you know, signing Machado or Bryce Harper or the other really good players available in free agency, an opportunity is being missed. With Machado on board, the Yankees would cement themselves as arguably the best team in not just the AL but MLB as a whole. And while they don’t hand out trophies for winter winners, it’d be hard to bet against a Machado-led New York squad not laying waste to the league around it. Why settle for less with LeMahieu when you could get the best with Machado?

There’s still a chance all our predictions come true, and that at some point before spring training, we do get that press conference in the Bronx as a beaming Machado holds up a Yankees jersey, then settles in to answer 36 different questions from reporters about “Johnny Hustle” and running hard to first base. These are still the Yankees, after all, and money has never been an obstacle. At least, that was the case until this new free-agent freeze became the league's guiding principle, leaving us all with a strange new question to wonder: If the Yankees won’t spend, then who will?

5 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

probably not tbh. The braves could afford that contract for Donaldson this year because they have so many guys still under control. Pretty sure they dont want 50% of their payroll  to two players, and long term it likely isnt viable money wise. Heck, theres talk we dot have the money for Pollock until his price tag comes down, and hes asking for what, like 100/5? I am curious to see all these braves fans who want harper that @FalconFan13 mentioned.

Either 1.  You don't live in georgia,  2. You don't work in a sports store and talk to tons of braves fan daily, 3. Don't listen to 92.9 the game every day, or 4. Have never visited the  Braves Forums before they got shut down.   I have been all 4 and their are a ton of people who want Harper on each thing.  Now i will say that very few of us want him for the 350 to 400 mil price tag he is wanting for 10 years.  Screw that noise i don't want anyone for that as i don't trust that contract to be healthy 6 to 7+ years from now. But for a good 5 years at 30 to 40 mil i wouldn't have any problem him being added to the RF for that.  More so 5 yrs at 35  or 3 yrs at 38 to 40.  Before our young guys contracts start needing to be done. 

5 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

If AA really wanted to go after Harper, he could, but if the Braves were to sign Harper, then I doubt the Braves would have the money in 5 years to resign Acuna, and what about Freeman in two years with his contract being up? Revenue will keep going up, and it looks like McGuirk is giving the Braves more money this year, and it will continue to grow with the new stadium/Battery, and hopefully a new tv contract in a few years, but with Liberty Media owning the team, its never going to be top 10 in spending. Its just how it is with a media company owning the team.

My idea, and shoot me down if this seems far fetched is this.

Braves get
Joey Gallo(min, 3arb)
Mike Minor(9.9, 9.9)

Rangers get
Julio Teheran(11, 12)
Luiz Gohara
Kyle Muller
Alex Jackson
3 million

The Braves have been in talks with the Rangers for an outfielder. There was talks of a three team deal with Oakland with Profar being the piece to Oakland, before it fell through. The Rangers have a lot of square pegs trying to fit into circles right now. Gallo leaving would allow an outfield of Calhoun, DeSheilds, and Mazara. Gallo was never moving back to 3rd with the Rangers. Wisdom will probably get first chance to play there this season. The Rangers have signed Lynn, Miller, Volquez, and Smyly this offseason for their rotation, and it looks like Hearn could be an option for them soon, and maybe Hernandez, Burke, and Polumbo gets shots in 2019 in that rotation as well. Minor and Teheran swap each other out with the money going back to the Rangers. Gohara and Muller would easily slot into the Rangers top 5 prospects, and Jackson could have a shot at catcher for them soon, since his defense has improved, and with them rebuilding, they could take a chance on him, especially since Jeff Mathis is their current starter.

1.Acuna 2.Albies 3.Freeman 4.Donaldson 5.Gallo 6.FloCan 7.Inciarte 8.Swanson
Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, Soroka, Toussaint
Vizcaino, Minter, O'Day, Minor, Fried, Sobotka, Winkler, Biddle

1.DeShields 2.Odor 3.Andrus 4.Mazara 5.Choo 6.Guzman 7.Calhoun 8.Wisdom 9.Mathis/Jackson
Teheran, Lynn, Smyly, Miller, Volquez
Prospects 1.Taveras 2.Gohara 3.Muller 4.Martinez 5.Winn

1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

1.Acuna 2.Albies 3.Freeman 4.Donaldson 5.Gallo 6.FloCan 7.Inciarte 8.Swanson
Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, Soroka, Toussaint
Vizcaino, Minter, O'Day, Minor, Fried, Sobotka, Winkler, Biddle

Don't want Albies anywhere near the top of the order until he can get on base more than 31% of the time.

Archived