2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If you're so worried about competitive balance, you make a salary floor and cap. That simple. 

This is also baseball, not basketball, where one or two individual signings, no matter how expensive, dont necessarily impact success as heavily as in the NBA. Basketball is a sport where one individual has far greater impact. Case in point, LeBron James vs Mike Trout. 

Like has been said, revenues are going up and salaries are going down. That's not how sports work. Not with collective bargaining and profit sharing. Other companies dont share revenues with each other so you cannot compare sports $$$ to real world $$$. Owners of real world businesses aren't making money off your name either. 

It’s funny mission has been saying floor not cap for 10 years and finally everyone is coming around 

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, if the Reds trade Shed Long for Sonny Gray, they are dumber than I thought they were as a franchise.

I was really hoping the Giants would make a deal happen in some sort of Gray for Belt structure. Gray is probably going to suck, but if he can rejuvenate a little of his game, it's probably going to be at Oracle to establish that trade deadline value, and though Belt is a solid player, dumping that contract would have been a good thing for the Giants moving forward. 

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Typically yea that's how it works but you can't talk reason with people. People see what they want to see rather than looking at the picture as a whole.

Athletes and celebs wield too much power in American society when for the most part, they're only looking out for themselves and their own personal views

Wait.

I thought it was billionaires only looking out for themselves. You mean millionaires do the same thing?!?!

#Reds want to hold catching prospect Tyler Stephenson out of a potential Sonny Gray deal. Now discussions center around 2B prospect Shed Long, a draft choice (sandwich pick) and a 2nd minor leaguer. There’s some optimism but no word it’s done yet.

15 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

#Reds want to hold catching prospect Tyler Stephenson out of a potential Sonny Gray deal. Now discussions center around 2B prospect Shed Long, a draft choice (sandwich pick) and a 2nd minor leaguer. There’s some optimism but no word it’s done yet.

Dumb franchises stay dumb

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

It’s funny mission has been saying floor not cap for 10 years and finally everyone is coming around 

there needs to be a floor and a hard cap both. That way theres no reason teams shouldnt be on an equal playing field, as far as salaries going down, mlbpa should have been smart enough to negotiate  minimum revenue going to players, jyust as the NBA and NFL do. If theres nothing like that in place, then owners arent doing anything wrong when they try and create as big a profit as possible.

Yankees, Reds are finalizing the Sonny Gray trade. infield prospect Shed Long and a draft pick are expected to go to NY, and possibly a 3rd lesser piece. Long is an excellent hitter, fair defender. Just need to cross t’s, dot i’s (ie medicals, 40-man considerations, etc.)

10 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Yankees, Reds are finalizing the Sonny Gray trade. infield prospect Shed Long and a draft pick are expected to go to NY, and possibly a 3rd lesser piece. Long is an excellent hitter, fair defender. Just need to cross t’s, dot i’s (ie medicals, 40-man considerations, etc.)

That’s a pretty good return for someone that reallllly struggled in NY

11 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Charlie-Day-WTF.gif

Archived