2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Joel Sherman:

Severino gets $40M for 4 yrs guaranteed with an option. Severino’s deal covers his four arbitration years and the option covers what would be first chance at free agency. With the option season, Yankees control Severino through his age-29 season. Get cost certainty with their ace. Severino gets peace of mind and payday, but many agents thought Nola’s agreement was too team friendly. So will probably feel same here. Yankees hesitated in recent yrs on long-term deals with arb guys because avg value is used for lux tax payroll. But going under last season made more tolerable to do now. Severino now costs $10M annually for tax purposes, so projected ’19 payroll grows from about $215M to $220M. Severino package: Sign $2M. 2019: $4M. 2020: $10M 2021: $10.25M. 2022: $11M 2023 (club option): $15M with $2.75M buyout. So can max out at $52.25M.

DC radio host says Harper has made his decision. 

Boras said before free agency started that he already knew Harper's decision

Harper has posted a lot of 'I love San Francisco" on social media going back 4 years 

ITS HAPPENING 

@Forge probably means we re-sign bum as well 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

DC radio host says Harper has made his decision. 

Boras said before free agency started that he already knew Harper's decision

Harper has posted a lot of 'I love San Francisco" on social media going back 4 years 

ITS HAPPENING 

@Forge probably means we re-sign bum as well 

I'll believe it when I see it lol (the Harper signing, I mean). 

But yeah, if you sign Harper, I think you have to start working on the extension for Bum, even though I do think that he's trending in the wrong direction. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'll believe it when I see it lol (the Harper signing, I mean). 

But yeah, if you sign Harper, I think you have to start working on the extension for Bum, even though I do think that he's trending in the wrong direction. 

If they're smart they won't extend Bum...he's...not good anymore...although if it's just for $10-12 mil that wouldn't be bad.  Didn't realize he was barely making enough to live in downtown SF as it is...

Just now, GmenSeattle said:

If they're smart they won't extend Bum...he's...not good anymore...although if it's just for $10-12 mil that wouldn't be bad.  Didn't realize he was barely making enough to live in downtown SF as it is...

Yeah, I mean, I think he's fine still. Probably has a few solid years left in him. He's not awful or anything. But he's not a number one for sure, and I'd hesitate to say that he's a number 2 right now, but I want to see how the season goes if only because the last two years have been weird with the injuries, so I really can't say that for sure.  I do feel kind of bad how good of a deal we had on him all this time, only to cast him off when it's time for him to get paid, but business is that way. 

47 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

Is there a reason people are thinking he's going to sign in SF over Philly?  It makes zero sense for him to sign in SF.

The only plausible reason I've heard for a short-term deal is that Mike Trout could reset the market in two years, so Boras/Harper would be back on the market the next off-season.  That's totally a Boras move.  

5 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

Is there a reason people are thinking he's going to sign in SF over Philly?  It makes zero sense for him to sign in SF.

Other than ya know... Wanting to live in San Francisco rather than Philadelphia

Archived