Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

1995 Week 15 Dallas Cowboys (10-3) at Philadelphia Eagles (8-5)

This is the 4th and 1 meltdown game. Great game overall. The Eagles get into a 17-3 hole, but bit and crawl their way back into it. Obviously the controversial call by Dallas head coach Barry Switzer helped them in the end, but the entire team didn't quit when they easily could have. All in all this didn't end up mattering, because the Cowboys won the Super Bowl anyway. I still think this decision today, in an era of coaches being more courageous with 4th down situations on offense, would still be seen as too huge a gamble. Especially when you are tied, and on the road. Barry should have just punted, especially when fate handed him a second chance. Notice how heated Aikman gets at Erik Williams near the end after Williams blows a blocking assignment :)

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

2011 Week 15 Green Bay Packers (13-0) at Kansas City Chiefs (5-8)

This was the game where the Chiefs, in the midst of a lousy season, and having just fired their head coach, cut the 13-0 Packers down to size by handing them their first loss. Good game. A ton of Packers fans at Arrowhead, that probably felt numb afterward expecting a win. 

• Like 1

1992 Week 4 Miami Dolphins (2-0) at Seattle Seahawks (1-2)

Marino leads a late game comeback against Seattle. The Seahawks that year would end up fielding one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Only scored 140 points all year long, and averaged 8.7 points a game. Finished dead last in points and yards. This was Tom Flores first season as head coach, after coming back following a 4 year hiatus. He would only last 3 seasons. Defense actually held the Dolphins in check most of the game, but the dam broke in the 4th quarter, and Seattle's offense couldn't pick up the slack. I think Chris Warren was the only notable player on offense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oI9Su7NFtQ

2004 Week 14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7) at San Diego Chargers (9-3)

This game is pretty close up until the later half of the 4th quarter. Both team fight hard, despite having seasons going in different directions. I forgot about Michael Clayton having that great rookie season, and then never topped it. Also Donnie Edwards, a great linebacker that played many years on the Chiefs and Chargers, but people seem to forget about. I know the dark blue uniforms weren't that popular with Chargers fans, but I always liked them. Would be nice if they made an appearance again. 

1984 Week 14 New York Giants (8-5) at New York Jets (6-7)

Showdown between both teams in New York/New Jersey. Hard hitting game, with some big plays. Both Mark Gastineau and Lawrence Taylor make their presence felt. O'Brien and Sims have some big time throws apart. The Giants maintain a steady lead into the 4th quarter, and while the Jets look like they may be on the verge of a comeback, their efforts are squandered late. This was the first year the Jets played at Giants stadium. Even though it was a home game, the Giants field logo was still present in the endzone. Giants would make the playoffs with a 9-7 record, and the Jets succumbed to a mid-season collapse after starting 6-2, but finishing 7-9.

Edited by PapaShogun

2004 Week 12 Indianapolis Colts (7-3) at Detroit Lions (4-6)

This was one of the two games on the Thanksgiving Day slate. The other being Chicago at Dallas. If you were watching football at this time, then you most likely know that was was a blowout by the Colts. Manning threw 6 touchdown passes during his dominant 2004 season. The Lions made it worse on themselves by turning the ball over 5 times compared to zero by the Colts. Edgerrin James also ran for 105 yards, while Brandon Stokley and Marvin Harrison had 3 receiving touchdowns a piece. The game was the second in a four game stretch where the Colts put up at least 41 points. Detroit, already a lackluster team overall, couldn't get much going on offense, and I remember this team just had zero impact players anywhere. It's remarkable that general manager Matt Millen was able to keep his job so long. 

2002 AFC Divisional Playoff Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5-1) at Tennessee Titans (11-5)

Coach Cower vs. coach Fisher. McNair vs. Maddox. Two teams labeled as tough, physical, ball-controlling, and defensively stout clash with one another. Which is a little funny, because the Steelers offense was more pass heavy that year, and their defensive secondary faltered down the stretch. QB Steve McNair for the Titans was also starting to hit his prime as a passer, and Eddie George was near the end of his effectiveness. This was a close game that goes down to the wire in OT, and ends on a controversial call. A lot of big plays on both sides. 

1993 Week 2 Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0)

Favre vs. Cunningham. This was also Reggie White's first game against his old squad the Eagles, and he doesn't disappoint. The previous time the Eagles visited Green Bay two years prior was in 1991 Week 1. Cunningham went down and was lost for the entire year. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2006 Week 5 Dallas Cowboys (2-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (3-1)

Terrell Owens returns to Philadelphia for the first time after the fallout he had with his former team. I remember watching this game at the time, and it was a pretty big deal. Definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion.