whats wrong with the iggles?

Vladimir L

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

In today's NFL, it's really hard to get back to the Superbowl after winning one the prior year. Only really historically great teams can do it, now. 

:ph34r:

Honestly, if we treat the Patriots as the exception, being a historically great team/regime, the SB hangover has actually occurred more times than it hasn't.

SB Winners and their follow up season last 15 years:

• 2017 Patriots: 13-3 (SB L)
  • 2016 Broncos: 9-7 (no postseason)
  • 2015 Patriots: 12-4 (CC L)
  • 2014 Seahawks: 12-4 (SB L)
  • 2013 Ravens: 8-8 (no postseason)
  • 2012 Giants: 9-7 (no postseason)
  • 2011 Packers: 15-1 (divisional L)
  • 2010 Saints: 11-5 (WC L)
  • 2009 Steelers: 9-7 (no postseason)
  • 2008 Giants: 12-4 (divisional L)
  • 2007 Colts: 13-3 (divisional L)
  • 2006 Steelers: 8-8 (no postseason)
  • 2005 Patriots: 10-6 (divsional L)
  • 2004 Patriots: 14-2 (SB W)
  • 2003 Bucs: 7-9 (no postseason)

History does not bode well for the rare instances where defending champs start their follow-up season 2-3, or worse, through 5 games. Dating back to 1990, only 4 other teams have had such a start. Only 1 made the playoffs, and didn't have much success.

• 2018 Eagles: 2-3 start, ?-? finish
  • 2006 Steelers: 2-3 start, 8-8 finish
  • 1999 Broncos: 1-4 start, 6-10 finish
  • 1996 Cowboys: 2-3 start, 10-6 finish (divisional loss)
  • 1991 Giants: 2-3 start, 8-8 finish

12 hours ago, Danger said:

It's not injuries. The only substantial injury we've really had over the past two weeks, IMO is Tim Jernigan, and that shouldn't make or break things for us. I think the Eagles still have the highest ceiling in their division for this season at the very least, but they need to get their ish together.

I was moreso referring to last year's injuries. Like, when I would cite the "luck" argument, Eagles fans would often retort with the number of injuries they experienced last yer as an argument against luck. Honestly, I've barely watched the Eagles this year for the first time ever because I've barely watched football in comparison to the past. It's hard enough to watch this crap Steelers team let alone other teams.

The offense just doesn't have the same creativity and swagger that they just exuded last season. They got a huge play for a TD in like the first 2 minutes of the 2017 season and they just didn't stop. But this year, they offense just hasn't been able to put up the points or make the big plays.

The lack of points means closer games and is slowing the pass rush. The slowed pass rush means that the weaker back 7 is getting exposed more than it did last year.

Touchdowns.

Last year, Wentz's TD percentage was 7.5% and this year it is around 4% through three games. It should go up as he gets more healthy, but 7.5% was always unsustainable and the lack of points have put more stress on their defense, particularly the backend, which is getting exposed. 

One thing I havent seen mentioned much at all in this thread is how we have been below average on 3rd downs. Specifically 3rd and longs. Last years 3rd down success rate was unsustainable obviously, but this has been more than just regression to the mean. Weve been bad on 3rd downs. Wentz is doing all he can, but with Jeffrey being the only really good WR atm, our terrible RB injury luck (Clement and Ajayi have been dinged up all season and Sproles has played 1 half), and most of all, our OL giving Wentz almost no time back there. So defenses have been able to blitz the hell out of us on 3rd down with success.

Id say the two biggest reasons are the OLs super weird and incomprehensible bad play and our corners playing abysmally. Sidney Jones is going to be really good, but he is looking like a 1st year corner (bc he basically is)

I definitely think that all the Talking Heads and idiots in the media who are going to be disgusting all week about how the Eagles have so much cause for concern will look well like idiots come November. I think that is when will get healthy and the o-line will be looking much better, and we'll be rolling come November and December

Archived