PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

23 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

I always do my PC builds on a carpet. Helps prevents scratches and keeps screws from rolling around, ya know.

I can't tell if this is worse advice than the "Use a magnet to screw in your hard-drive" advice that's been a meme for a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Don't forget a table and tweezers

And a Live Strong static resistant bracelet.

He not fighting static, he fighting cancer.  (Bonus points if you know what Im referring to B|)

• Like 2

Ugh...so, some slight issues...

I accidentally ordered a different mobo than I originally wanted.    The one I got should be fine, but its a pretty barebones 570 board.    Again, should be fine for me, but I shouldve paid more attention.   The biggest issue is there arent as many fan headers as I would like, but enough (3).

I had to buy some stuff to maintain my temps.   I bought a better PC cooler fan, as I read the 3600 stock cooler isnt great.     I also bought some heat sinks for my M2 hard drives.     

Now, Im trying to find a way to get a Windows 10 key without paying $110.    If I have to, oh well.   

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I accidentally ordered a different mobo than I originally wanted.    The one I got should be fine, but its a pretty barebones 570 board.    Again, should be fine for me, but I shouldve paid more attention.   The biggest issue is there arent as many fan headers as I would like, but enough (3).

I had to buy some stuff to maintain my temps.   I bought a better PC cooler fan, as I read the 3600 stock cooler isnt great.     I also bought some heat sinks for my M2 hard drives.     

Now, Im trying to find a way to get a Windows 10 key without paying $110.    If I have to, oh well.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It's literally free you do not need a license key to install and use windows. Microsoft doesn't care about keys as much as they used to so as long you use their platform. 

Also as a heads up Windows is terrible with hardware swapping so when you do install windows and potentially do get a windows 10 key make sure you have all your parts installed and don't go swapping because hardware is tied to your windows 10 ID.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/02/04/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-in-2020/#450d26f875ff

This is also another option I haven't tested but eh windows 7 keys are dirt cheap and might be worth the gamble. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html this is a more extensive guide. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The X570 chipset is overkill for your purposes anyway. A barebones B450 would likely be sufficient. Had I seen it earlier, I probably would have recommended a midrange B450. 

I have a 3600 too and use the Cooler Master 212 RGB edition. If you don't want RGB, the black edition is the same thing. The cooler master 212 and all it's variants have basically been the standard in budget air coolers for years. 

Should be able to buy an OEM windows licence for $10 somewhere.

• Like 1

Im about 33% done.   Mounted my new fans, installed PSU, placed CPU and RAM on mobo.   Tomorrow I will mount the CPU cooler and my SSDs, and then start connecting everything and hopefully boot up tomorrow night or Thursday....Friday at the latest.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im about 33% done.   Mounted my new fans, installed PSU, placed CPU and RAM on mobo.   Tomorrow I will mount the CPU cooler and my SSDs, and then start connecting everything and hopefully boot up tomorrow night or Thursday....Friday at the latest.

I wish I had your patience.  The rest of my stuff arrives Thursday-Saturday (have my case, PSU, motherboard, and SSD right now with CPU coming today), I planned on trying to get it done ASAP lol I thought about getting one of my friends to build it for me, but kinda wanna go ahead and learn myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I wish I had your patience.  The rest of my stuff arrives Thursday-Saturday (have my case, PSU, motherboard, and SSD right now with CPU coming today), I planned on trying to get it done ASAP lol I thought about getting one of my friends to build it for me, but kinda wanna go ahead and learn myself.

I am having fun.  Havent gotten frustrated yet.  I wanted to keep working on it.  I do have to remount my fans tonight, though, but thats easy.

I only see it getting annoying if I get it all together and then something is wrong that I cant figure out.

I would highly recommend doing it yourself, and then just asking your friend if you have issues.   Its not hard.  Just watch some build guides on YouTube.....just not from The Verge.  xD

Well, my friends.....it is complete!

My new PC is up and running and, for the most part, it works great!    

I need to fiddle with it more tomorrow....mainly get all my drivers up to date and start re-downloading alot of the apps I had on my old PC.

I will post some pictures of the build and finished product.   My place is a wreck right now because of all the computer stuff I have laying around, but as soon as I clear some things up, Ill take pics of the finished build.

Thanks to everyone who helped give me suggestions, including, but not limited to, @SwoleXmad, @Calvert28, @Cheesehawk, @RavensfanRD, and a special thanks to @skywindO2 for hooking me up with a nice way of a getting a Windows 10 Pro activation code without breaking the bank.

I am struggling to adapt to Windows 10 after using Windows 7 for so long.

I use Windows 10 at work alot, but not for alot of the stuff I do at home.    So its an adjustment.    

Ill let you guys know when I get into some gaming.  May be a little bit since I have to finish a few console games first, but Im eager to get into some PC gaming. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well, my friends.....it is complete!

My new PC is up and running and, for the most part, it works great!    

I need to fiddle with it more tomorrow....mainly get all my drivers up to date and start re-downloading alot of the apps I had on my old PC.

I will post some pictures of the build and finished product.   My place is a wreck right now because of all the computer stuff I have laying around, but as soon as I clear some things up, Ill take pics of the finished build.

Thanks to everyone who helped give me suggestions, including, but not limited to, @SwoleXmad, @Calvert28, @Cheesehawk, @RavensfanRD, and a special thanks to @skywindO2 for hooking me up with a nice way of a getting a Windows 10 Pro activation code without breaking the bank.

I am struggling to adapt to Windows 10 after using Windows 7 for so long.

I use Windows 10 at work alot, but not for alot of the stuff I do at home.    So its an adjustment.    

Ill let you guys know when I get into some gaming.  May be a little bit since I have to finish a few console games first, but Im eager to get into some PC gaming. 

I really hope you installed the gabflizit before you booted. 

Otherwise congrats.