#WeFiredBruceAllen!!!

MKnight82

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

To be fair, while I like Scot and I think he brought a good culture to this team, let's not fool ourselves that all of his FA moves and draft picks were good. In fact, I would say quite a lot of them didn't work out. Which is to be expected. But let's not act like he could do no wrong.

While true, he also seemingly had an overall plan for how to construct the team.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So worth firing over? Or give Bruce a 10th chance?

That’s the decision they made. I certainly believed in McCloughan more than any GM we’ve had since Bethard, but what I can’t stand is that most Redskins fans act like McCoulghan’s ish don’t stink and he never made a mistake while he was our GM which is hogwash.

Those who give McCloughan a free pass on everything, didn’t like:

1. Drafting Scherff over Leonard Williams 

2. Drafting Preston Smith

3. Drafting Matt Jones

4. Drafting Josh Doctson

5. Drafting Sua Cravens

6. Not drafting  multiple players in the mid rounds that they loved in the 2016 draft and instead trading back and ultimately drafting Ioannidis.

7. They didn’t like the signings of Chris Culliver, Reyes, Bruton and Paea.

8. McCloughan didn’t think Kirk Cousins was worth $20 million a year!

So WTF did you all like about him?

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s the decision they made. I certainly believed in McCloughan more than any GM we’ve had since Bethard, but what I can’t stand is that most Redskins fans act like McCoulghan’s ish don’t stink and he never made a mistake while he was our GM which is hogwash.

3. Drafting Matt Jones

4. Drafting Josh Doctson

5. Drafting Sua Cravens

6. Not drafting  multiple players in the mid rounds that they loved in the 2016 draft and instead trading back and ultimately drafting Ioannidis.

I LOVED # 8 .. B|

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

3. Drafting Matt Jones

4. Drafting Josh Doctson

5. Drafting Sua Cravens

Do you not realize how ironic this post is considering everyone else that you defend till you are blue in the face?

Also, I already discussed 8 with you, but if you want to rehash, he wanted to sign him at $14, thought he'd take it, and ownership told him no. Yeah, we know Scot wasn't perfect, but at least there seemed like a plan... I mean it was our most successful back to back years in I don't know how long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Do you not realize how ironic this post is considering everyone else that you defend till you are blue in the face?

Also, I already discussed 8 with you, but if you want to rehash, he wanted to sign him at $14, thought he'd take it, and ownership told him no. Yeah, we know Scot wasn't perfect, but at least there seemed like a plan... I mean it was our most successful back to back years in I don't know how long. 

Hey, I actually liked those players when they were/ and some still are Redskins - even if I did want to draft other players over them - so don’t look at me.

And one other thing, McCloughan talked about getting bigger and stronger on the lines when he was hired. Then, in 2016 he goes and drafts a WR in round 1 when we had 2 one-thousand WRs on our roster and Jamison Crowder! Meanwhile, he passed on several DL - which is what we needed the most - and could have helped make 2016 & 17 playoff seasons bc we could’ve had more stout defenses.

So, he didn’t exactly live up to his own words/plan. I wanted the Redskins to draft Kenny Clark in the 1st round of the 2016 draft - the Packers starting NT - or Jarran Reed instead of Doctson, and I still wish we had.

Edited by turtle28

It was a great decision not too overpay ( and that's what it would have taken ) for two aging wideouts . Both have been hurt, especially Garcon' since they left . I guarantee you- The Patriots would not have resigned either of them .

I really though- Damm, finally getting smart,, and I loved both those guys !

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

And it was coming together well until his 2nd season as GM and his 2016 draft class and free agency class was almost all duds.

Okay, that failed. But he still had a plan. Even the best GMs have misses.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

3. Drafting Matt Jones

4. Drafting Josh Doctson

5. Drafting Sua Cravens

I lambasted him on #1. I had no problem with #2 (because I could see Murphy was not going to work). I thought #3 was completely unnecessary. I thought #4 and #5 were the right calls (Doctson due to his talent, Cravens due to the potential of getting that hybrid LB/S that is going to be where defenses go), but they haven't panned out in hindsight (Doctson due to health, Cravens due to quitting on the team). #6 was one I railed on him about (and was wrong). I was right on #7 because I realized they were not going to work, but also realized that they were essentially stop-gaps (Culliver very kindly screwed himself over and gave the Redskins the ability to jettison him with ease). I thought #8 was a mistake because he was the best QB the Redskins have had since Rypien, but as much as it pains me to say it, he might not be worth that.

What did I like about him, then?

HE
HAD
A
PLAN

He knew what team he wanted to build. There was a coherent direction towards building that team.

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And one other thing, McCloughan talked about getting bigger and stronger on the lines when he was hired. Then, in 2016 he goes and drafts a WR in round 1 when we had 2 one-thousand WRs on our roster and Jamison Crowder! Meanwhile, he passed on several DL - which is what we needed the most - and could have helped make 2016 & 17 playoff seasons bc we could’ve had more stout defenses.

We had two WRs ahead of Crowder: DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon.

McCloughan realized that the Redskins were going to let Garcon walk (due to age) and Jackson walk (due to his attitude). As such, he planned ahead of time to address the coming hole. Unfortunately, Doctson got hurt in his rookie season and didn't get those necessary reps. As such, when the two veterans walked, Doctson was forced into a starting role when he shouldn't have been.

As for the DL pieces, you know I screamed for those. At the same time, I realized that the 3-4 was part of the reason they weren't successful. You've argued with me that it's the players. They've since invested heavily in DL ... and the defense is still bad. It is better than it was, but it would be even better if they would give up on this experiment and go back to a 4-3.

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

We had two WRs ahead of Crowder: DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon.

McCloughan realized that the Redskins were going to let Garcon walk (due to age) and Jackson walk (due to his attitude). As such, he planned ahead of time to address the coming hole. Unfortunately, Doctson got hurt in his rookie season and didn't get those necessary reps. As such, when the two veterans walked, Doctson was forced into a starting role when he shouldn't have been.

As for the DL pieces, you know I screamed for those. At the same time, I realized that the 3-4 was part of the reason they weren't successful. You've argued with me that it's the players. They've since invested heavily in DL ... and the defense is still bad. It is better than it was, but it would be even better if they would give up on this experiment and go back to a 4-3.

They can still give up on it and put Payne and Settle in the middle with Allen and Ioannidis on the outside. Allen and Ioannidis are explosive enough to where they could rush the passer in any style defense.