Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

32 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

We can agree to disagree. What made him a 1st round talent was him playing in a 4-3 scheme. You take him with your 1st round pick and put him in a different system, I won't. We've been through this with Orakpo, Smith, Murphy, and possibly Ryan Anderson. I don't want that headache. 

Agreed.  I'd much rather have a high end athlete like Sweat or Burns than another big and slow guy back there that shouldn't be playing linebacker. 

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Agreed.  I'd much rather have a high end athlete like Sweat or Burns than another big and slow guy back there that shouldn't be playing linebacker. 

Brian Burns would be nasty on this defense. If for some shocking reason Gregg Williams is coaching this team in 2020 which I think has a really good chance of happening, this defense and the talent they’ve started to accumulate could be something special. Need to keep building and adding to it though. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Brian Burns would be nasty on this defense. If for some shocking reason Gregg Williams is coaching this team in 2020 which I think has a really good chance of happening, this defense and the talent they’ve started to accumulate could be something special. Need to keep building and adding to it though. 

Seriously if they just said to hell with the offense and drafted an OLB and MLB in the first two rounds, retained Norman and brought back HAha think about how the defense would look.  

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Seriously if they just said to hell with the offense and drafted an OLB and MLB in the first two rounds, retained Norman and brought back HAha think about how the defense would look.  

The defense is not that far off and that’s why I think the Rosen deal is so important. That deal needs to happen. 

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Lol thats why it will never happen.

If you consider it solely from the perspective of "Brice doing everything he can to save his ***" ... it fits (and would actually help the team).

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

We can agree to disagree. What made him a 1st round talent was him playing in a 4-3 scheme. You take him with your 1st round pick and put him in a different system, I won't. We've been through this with Orakpo, Smith, Murphy, and possibly Ryan Anderson. I don't want that headache. 

This has been one of my biggest complaints about the 3-4: projecting talent into a system the player isn't familiar with.

Focusing wholesale on Alabama (a team that does run a 3-4) mitigates that problem, but it also narrows your talent pool.

Its frustrating this year to figure out how they're going to play this draft. I have no clue. Other than rb and dline, everything seems to be on the table for our first round pick. I don't like the idea of taking the 5th or 6th best edge rusher though. Especially at pick 15. Justin Houston would be a really smart signing to get us through a couple seasons.

We need some young weapons on offense asap. Hopefully we focus on that side of the ball during draft. We have been neglecting it for a while and it's really starting to show 

Just now, Bo Duke said:

Its frustrating this year to figure out how they're going to play this draft. I have no clue. Other than rb and dline, everything seems to be on the table for our first round pick. I don't like the idea of taking the 5th or 6th best edge rusher though. Especially at pick 15. Justin Houston would be a really smart signing to get us through a couple seasons.

We need some young weapons on offense asap. Hopefully we focus on that side of the ball during draft. We have been neglecting it for a while and it's really starting to show 

They desperately need a LG and probably a WR. But I'm not sure they have to focus solely on that side of the ball.

Not solely but if we have 9 picks it would be wise to invest at least 6 on the offensive side of the ball. I wouldn't mind 3 of the first 4 to be honest. We got to do better than 13 points a game, defense can't win them all. First 4 picks I could live with honestly is Hockenson,Butler, Dru Samania and Will Grier. It would be a decent start 

11 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Not solely but if we have 9 picks it would be wise to invest at least 6 on the offensive side of the ball. I wouldn't mind 3 of the first 4 to be honest. We got to do better than 13 points a game, defense can't win them all. First 4 picks I could live with honestly is Hockenson,Butler, Dru Samania and Will Grier. It would be a decent start 

You can’t build a high scoring offense around Alex Smith. What we scored a game last year was indicative of this. 

18 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I know that but Alex Smith isn't playing quarterback this year 

That’s my point. You don’t need to dump every draft choice into the offense without the person who was keeping them from scoring to begin with basically never playing again. 

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can’t build a high scoring offense around Alex Smith. What we scored a game last year was indicative of this. 

He also mentioned drafting Will Grier, so it would be building around the rookie, not Smith.

Archived