Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Crowder is so much better than Quinn.  I would've rather taken the stupid money we threw at Collins and sent some of that Crowder's way.  Gase is going to use him in ways that Gruden never could.  

Not going to argue that, but I can understand the plan there: draft the replacement cheap and let the guy go in exchange for the compensatory draft pick.

That then got derailed by spending big money for reasons I don't understand. Like you said, if you were going to spend stupid money, keep the guy you drafted and developed.

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

Not going to argue that, but I can understand the plan there: draft the replacement cheap and let the guy go in exchange for the compensatory draft pick.

That then got derailed by spending big money for reasons I don't understand. Like you said, if you were going to spend stupid money, keep the guy you drafted and developed.

Crowder has been a decent player. Nothing more, nothing less. He’s not a game changer and he’s a fumble risk nearly every time he touches the ball. What I wouldn’t have done was sign PRich. That was dumb. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yup, too much safety on the brain.  

Crowder is so much better than Quinn.  I would've rather taken the stupid money we threw at Collins and sent some of that Crowder's way.  Gase is going to use him in ways that Gruden never could.  

Agree that Crowder is a good deal better than Quinn (and I like Quinn), but how much more are you really expecting from Crowder than 21st in catches (192) and 28th in yards (2240) among WRs over a 3 year span? 

I like Crowder a lot, but I don’t think he’s putting up a whole lot more than that unless they go pure volume with the unproductive checkdowns like Gase did with Landry. 

The idea of Jamison Crowder is better than the reality. That’s the honest truth. As much as I liked him, we couldn't rely on him day in day out. He was oft-Injured and was a complete debacle at PR and lost his job to a rookie 7th rounder. 

I wish he worked out because when he is on, he is a game changer at the slot...but that rarely happened. 

14 hours ago, TKellion said:

Draft Hunter Renfrow,Edleman 2.0

Not the athlete that Edleman is. Eddleman was an awesome running and throwing QB at Kent State, he's an exceptional athlete. Arguably the guy we already have in house - Trey Quinn - is a poor mans Eddleman.

17 hours ago, Woz said:

Crowder has never proven to be worth a big money contract. As LAVAR said he's been injury prone, fumbled a lot and had the dropsies the last two season. He had a few average seasons and one good season when he had DJax, Garcon & Reed all drawing coverage away from him.

Collins on the other hand has been a pro bowl caliber safety since he was drafted and is one of the best tackling defenders in the entire NFL and yes, that includes around the line of scrimmage.

Throwing ”stupid money” at Crowder is in fact that, STUPID. He didn't even get that huge of a deal from the Jets. 

This draft is DEEEEEP at WR. I'm certain we'll find at least one, probably more,  that will be a key contributor this season. Rounds 2/3 looks like the perfect time to grab a guy. I think Deebo Samuels would be my ideal guy in that round but I also love Isabella and theres a small chance Hollywood Brown could be there too. I have no problem letting Crowder leave for the money he received. There is going to be plenty of options in this draft. 

Bummer about Jordan Hicks signing with Arizona (4/$36M with $12M guaranteed).

Honestly, I would probably have done that deal for him. Injury prone, to say the least, but he's a really good player. I'm not sure we find a starter at ILB in FA now, which is disappointing. It'll have to be in the draft.

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'm not sure we find a starter at ILB in FA now, which is disappointing. It'll have to be in the draft.

But I was told we already have our ILB starters on the roster right now!

I don't understand why as fans we give up on our draft picks so early. Let's see what guys like Trey Quinn, Troy Apke, SDH, Adonis can do before we get to much off the bandwagon. Later round picks take time to develop. Kendall Fuller wasn't great in his first season and we turned that into a guy with one good leg. Nevermind.

All jokes aside though I would almost bet we get a great player at 15. Every year a player falls because other guys are combine warriors and people forget about them. And this year that guy is Clelin Ferrell. You never hear about him anymore but don't forget this guy is bad ***. Would be an excellent pick

43 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I don't understand why as fans we give up on our draft picks so early. Let's see what guys like Trey Quinn, Troy Apke, SDH, Adonis can do before we get to much off the bandwagon. Later round picks take time to develop. Kendall Fuller wasn't great in his first season and we turned that into a guy with one good leg. Nevermind.

All jokes aside though I would almost bet we get a great player at 15. Every year a player falls because other guys are combine warriors and people forget about them. And this year that guy is Clelin Ferrell. You never hear about him anymore but don't forget this guy is bad ***. Would be an excellent pick

I think Ferrell talent would be wasted here. He's meant to play DE in a 4-3 system. 

22 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I think Ferrell talent would be wasted here. He's meant to play DE in a 4-3 system. 

Does he rush the passer? Because that's what 3-4 OLBs do 80 to 90 percent of the time. If we drafted him, Sweat or Polite they wouldn't be in coverage very often just like Kerrigan, Smith and former 3-4 OLBs we had were rarely in coverage.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Does he rush the passer? Because that's what 3-4 OLBs do 80 to 90 percent of the time. If we drafted him, Sweat or Polite they wouldn't be in coverage very often just like Kerrigan, Smith and former 3-4 OLBs we had were rarely in coverage.

We can agree to disagree. What made him a 1st round talent was him playing in a 4-3 scheme. You take him with your 1st round pick and put him in a different system, I won't. We've been through this with Orakpo, Smith, Murphy, and possibly Ryan Anderson. I don't want that headache. 

Archived