Why isn't anyone talking about the Cincinnati Bengals?

DigInBoys

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because the Bengals are on the upswing of the 'we are only legit every other year' routine---- and it always ends in them losing in the playoffs.

Ive read this book before and as long as Dalton/Lewis are the 2 man combo leading the team, they can go 16-0 and I will never take them seriously as contenders.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Meh, if we're healthy we're more than competitive in a weak conference. 

Meh, there's little reason to believe the Bengals finish above the Steelers in their own division, let alone being a team to look out for in the AFC. Hardly any reason to get excited about a team that looks to be at best a borderline top 5 AFC team.

48 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Meh, there's little reason to believe the Bengals finish above the Steelers in their own division, let alone being a team to look out for in the AFC. Hardly any reason to get excited about a team that looks to be at best a borderline top 5 AFC team.

Why do you feel the need to be sarcastic?

If we displayed some simple clock management and won that Steelers game I don't think you would be singing that tune. But we didn't, so here we are.

If you don't believe you don't have to. And if you were skeptical because of our recent history I wouldn't really blame you, but what we've seen from this team 6 weeks into the season has been very good. Especially considering how insanely depleted out roster has become with injuries. I still think the division is ours to lose. How we do in the postseason? God knows. But we've consistently been a strong regular season team. Do i think we're serious contenders? No, not without some luck. But there's no team in the AFC I don't think we can beat any given Sunday when healthy given the right circumstances.

If we beat you Week 9 will you concede otherwise? Or chaulk up the loss to something else?

19 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

If we beat you Week 9 will you concede otherwise? Or chaulk up the loss to something else?

He'll definitely have an excuse. But I don't see how you guys could beat the Saints when they have the best WR and RB of all-time on their roster. Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara are not from this planet and nobody is even close to being as good as these two guys. Really in NFL history. Just ask Saints fans.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Meh, if we're healthy we're more than competitive in a weak conference. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why do you feel the need to be sarcastic?

See above quotes lol.

If we displayed some simple clock management and won that Steelers game I don't think you would be singing that tune. But we didn't, so here we are.

Or I could state if you didn't narrowly escape with a win against the Falcons, we would be singing a much different tune. The "if" game is always fun. At the end of the day, they lost to the Steelers. The Steelers are likely going to keep improving as they get an elite RB in Bell returning soon, that only hurts the Bengals chances to take them in round 2.

If you don't believe you don't have to. And if you were skeptical because of our recent history I wouldn't really blame you, but what we've seen from this team 6 weeks into the season has been very good. Especially considering how insanely depleted out roster has become with injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game. Good teams overcome them. Bad teams don't. Last I saw you still have many of your core pieces (Dalton, Green, Atkins), so it isn't like there has been a catastrophic season ending injury for the Bengals.

I still think the division is ours to lose.

I think that is a very optimistic view. I think the Bengals have as good of a chance finishing 4th as they do first in that division. The Browns are far from the bad team they were in recent years. They had a rough game last week, but outside of that every game they have played has ended with them being within 4 points, or winning. The Ravens very well could finish ahead of the Bengals, and the Steelers at this point still have to be the favorites. They are a half game back in the division, are coming off 2 big wins, and get an elite RB in the next couple weeks.

How we do in the postseason? God knows. But we've consistently been a strong regular season team. Do i think we're serious contenders? No, not without some luck. But there's no team in the AFC I don't think we can beat any given Sunday when healthy given the right circumstances.

I think given some luck you might have a chance at a wildcard, I just don't see much more at this point.

If the Bengals beat the Saints it would certainly be an upset, but at the end of the day I don't think the Bills are a better team than the Vikings, yet the Bills beat the Vikings. Anything can happen in a 1 game sample size, but over the course of the season, I fully expect the Saints to have a better record than the Bengals.

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

See above quotes lol.

Me saying "Meh" was sincere, you repeating it is sarcastic. 

Or I could state if you didn't narrowly escape with a win against the Falcons, we would be singing a much different tune. The "if" game is always fun. At the end of the day, they lost to the Steelers. The Steelers are likely going to keep improving as they get an elite RB in Bell returning soon, that only hurts the Bengals chances to take them in round 2.

Fair enough, but the fact remains we are coming down to the final plays against quality teams.

Injuries are a part of the game. Good teams overcome them. Bad teams don't. Last I saw you still have many of your core pieces (Dalton, Green, Atkins), so it isn't like there has been a catastrophic season ending injury for the Bengals.

Depth is important, but the best teams are the healthiest at the end of the year. Half of our defense got knocked out of last game in some variation. Say what you will but that's not easy to recover from no matter how deep or good your roster is. It's an adjustment.

I think that is a very optimistic view. I think the Bengals have as good of a chance finishing 4th as they do first in that division.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Also, I'm not overly worried about Bell. The Steelers running game is already good with Conner. Bell will be an upgrade but it won't be a drastic one. Plus, we have no idea when he'll be back.

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He'll definitely have an excuse. But I don't see how you guys could beat the Saints when they have the best WR and RB of all-time on their roster. Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara are not from this planet and nobody is even close to being as good as these two guys. Really in NFL history. Just ask Saints fans.

I'm waiting for the "Where does Ingram/Kamara combo rank all-time?".

46 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kewl response bro...So edgy..

Me saying "Meh" was sincere, you repeating it is sarcastic. 

Yeah it doesn't come off that way over the internet.

Fair enough, but the fact remains we are coming down to the final plays against quality teams.

I've seen the injury excuse used in this thread, so would it have been so close if the Falcons had guys like Deion Jones, Keanu Neal? I'm told (By Falcons fans) that the Falcons have several "All-Pro Talents" on their defense that they have been playing without. The Steelers have been without Le'Veon Bell. Regardless they aren't winning these close games, which is the problem the Browns currently have as well. They are playing right down to the wire, but the difference between good teams and average (at best) teams are the good ones more often than not win those close games. 

Depth is important, but the best teams are the healthiest at the end of the year. Half of our defense got knocked out of last game in some variation. Say what you will but that's not easy to recover from no matter how deep or good your roster is. It's an adjustment.

Every team deals with injuries, unless you lose your QB and some star players, it's really not anything that a good team doesn't typically overcome.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Also, I'm not overly worried about Bell. The Steelers running game is already good with Conner. Bell will be an upgrade but it won't be a drastic one. Plus, we have no idea when he'll be back.

Defenses will certainly have to account for Bell more than they have with Conner. I think the effect Bell has will go way beyond stats.

Archived