Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'll be fine with him being a backup. I've not been a fan of him. His arm is about as strong as Marcus and I am not confident in his long term health either.

So yeah if we are moving to forward with Teddy as a backup I'm great. I feel we'd have  someone that we at least wouldn'tt lose anything from if the starter went down. 

But I don't see Teddy as a franchise QB either. He needs a strong team around him also at this point too. Could be the QB for this franchise. But I think we'd be in the same boat if we looking at him as a replacement. 

Marcus is only 25. I don't know why I thought he was older. Teddy is 26. 

With that said I could see why someone would want to see if Teddy worked out better than Marcus. 

I mean we saw what Goff looked like in a system not for him. So maybe it fits Teddy better? 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

I'll be fine with him being a backup. I've not been a fan of him. His arm is about as strong as Marcus and I am not confident in his long term health either. 

So yeah if we are moving to forward with Teddy as a backup I'm great. I feel we'd have two of the same and at least not lose anything from a starter if one gets hurt. 

But I don't see Teddy as a franchise QB either. He needs a strong team around him also at this point too. 

Marcus is only 25. I don't know why I thought he was older. Teddy is 26. 

I've always been a big Teddy fan. Loved the cerebral aspect of his game in Louisville. He's always struck me as a very smart football mind. I wanted us to draft him pretty badly when he started falling, and it was becoming pretty clear that Jake wasn't going to be our long term answer.

To the present though, I'm not saying move on from Marcus right now. I desperately desperately want him to get it together, but in the short term, I'd like to have a buffer zone where if things go sideways with Marcus for whatever reason whether it be from his injuries/erratic play or whatever that we have a guy in house that could potentially right the ship until we find that franchise guy, or maybe just maybe Teddy turns into that guy for us. I'd just like to give our team a fighting chance if things go south on the Marcus front, and I think that Teddy could do that for us.

• Like 1

I'm largely just tired of just knowing Marcus is going to end up getting hurt at some point. We've had to deal with this with 5 of our last 6 starting QBs. McNair often hurt, VY often hurt, Locker often hurt, Hasselbeck was hurt off and on in his one season as starter, now Mariota stays hurt. Collins is the only guy we've had here it seems who started at least the majority of a season and didn't get hurt. And even then, he dealt with injuries as backup the next couple seasons after that.

I just want one season where I don't have to worry about our starting QB missing multiple games or being injured in multiple games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

I've always been a big Teddy fan. Loved the cerebral aspect of his game in Louisville. He's always struck me as a very smart football mind. I wanted us to draft him pretty badly when he started falling, and it was becoming pretty clear that Jake wasn't going to be our long term answer.

To the present though, I'm not saying move on from Marcus right now. I desperately desperately want him to get it together, but in the short term, I'd like to have a buffer zone where if things go sideways with Marcus for whatever reason whether it be from his injuries/erratic play or whatever that we have a guy in house that could potentially right the ship until we find that franchise guy, or maybe just maybe Teddy turns into that guy for us. I'd just like to give our team a fighting chance if things go south on the Marcus front, and I think that Teddy could do that for us.

Funny. If situation was reversed and Teddy was here I'd feel the same about bringing Marcus in. 

But yeah. Don't know why. Teddy never felt like he had it to me. Love his personality. Just never took to his football skills. 

Just want someone we picked to actually work out. Marcus is the closet thingy that scenario. 

Meanwhile the colts go from Manning to Luck. Crazy I tell ya.  

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I appreciate the optimism and I still have hope, but there really wasn’t anything particularly insightful in that article. 

To me only thing that stuck out was the categorization of him as a QB. One of the better good enough guys. 

I think that's fair for what he is. 

Our OL when healthy can play at top tier level but it has to be healthy have not been healthy all year Conklin and Lewan been hurt a lot of nagging stuff and its really effecting performance 

as for Marcus I’ve been a little disappointed to be honest he has shown improvement as a. Passer year to year but the injury bug has hurt him a lot and it seems Marcus has a huge drop off in play need to be 100% to be effective a 90% Marcus isn’t that good and sense it’s almost impossible to go the year without nagging injuries he will always have periods of not being very good. That part needs to be fixed or change   But that is the world of a running QB and why they rarely stick 

I'm still holding on to hope... as slim as it may currently appear... that Mariota shows enough the rest of the season for us to at least give him next year...a 2nd season with the same offensive coordinator for only the 2nd time in his career so far (he's had 3 OC's in his first 4 years so far)... to finally take that step.

I'm for strengthening the team around him... but I will say that if Lock somehow fell to the 2nd... I'd think long and hard about drafting him... just in case Mariota didn't take that next step.  Best case scenario, Mariota does become the reliable franchise QB we're looking for, and Lock can be traded Schaub/Garappolo style in a few years.

3 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I'm still holding on to hope... as slim as it may currently appear... that Mariota shows enough the rest of the season for us to at least give him next year...a 2nd season with the same offensive coordinator for only the 2nd time in his career so far (he's had 3 OC's in his first 4 years so far)... to finally take that step.

I'm for strengthening the team around him... but I will say that if Lock somehow fell to the 2nd... I'd think long and hard about drafting him... just in case Mariota didn't take that next step.  Best case scenario, Mariota does become the reliable franchise QB we're looking for, and Lock can be traded Schaub/Garappolo style in a few years.

Convo around Mariota aside...Lock aint it!!!

18 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Convo around Mariota aside...Lock aint it!!!

Really?  Granted I haven't seen too many college games outside of my Red Raiders... but I did catch that Mizz/Vol game... Lock looked great... that freaking cannon of an arm he has looked outstanding... he looked way better than the little I've seen of Hebert... and I hope that if he somehow fell to the 2nd, we'd ****** him up.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Really?  Granted I haven't seen too many college games outside of my Red Raiders... but I did catch that Mizz/Vol game... Lock looked great... that freaking cannon of an arm he has looked outstanding... he looked way better than the little I've seen of Hebert... and I hope that if he somehow fell to the 2nd, we'd ****** him up.

Team/coaches around him isn't great and he has good measurables, but never really performed that well against legit teams. Pumps up his stats against cakewalk teams. You'd hope an NFL talent could transcend some of their surrounding weaknesses...I don't see Lock doing that