OFFICIAL GDT: Week 7 Tampa Edition

MWil23

Who Wins?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

35 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

When you have a hobbled QB and gave up 5 sacks against a team that is missing their best pass rusher, you need an extra protector. 

Chubb was HORRIBLE in pass protection in the beginning of the year. 

That being said he does need more carries. Just hope he can consistently put out those long runs.  Hyde runs well he just doesn't have the break away capability that Chubb does.

Just get creative when you use Chubb. You can use a TE or FB in pass pro from 21 or 12 personnel. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Just get creative when you use Chubb. You can use a TE or FB in pass pro from 21 or 12 personnel. 

Unfortunately our 2nd TE has been hurt all season (no surprise there and just another indictment on the lack of planning TBH) and we don't carry a FB on our roster. LOL.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Unfortunately our 2nd TE has been hurt all season (no surprise there and just another indictment on the lack of planning TBH) and we don't carry a FB on our roster. LOL.

*Scratches head* Extra OL at TE?

I don’t care how bad his pass pro is. An OCs job is to use the talent on the offense. Fresh off 3 carries for over 100 yards, 2 TDS, and the 2 best runs by the team all the year, and he gets 3 carries both of the next two weeks (and has continued to be successful). Make them stop you. Put him in, and run him until the defense stops him. Even if they know the run is coming. Or make them sell out and utilize your audibles. Or sprinkle in some 3 step drops when he isn’t needed to block. No more excuses for obvious incompetence by the coaching on this one. If it’s not working, then you try something else. But it has worked all season long, and they just refuse to use the guy. I like Hyde, but there are enough carries to go around to include your other $15 million running back and your 35th pick of the draft, who have been arguably our two best skill players when they’ve actually been on the field. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

*Scratches head* Extra OL at TE?

They just moved their 3rd TE to 2nd TE, but Njoku (their 1st TE) lines up out wide at flanker half the time because they don't have an outside WR option with all of the injuries and lack of talent. Their only TD against the Chargers was on a fade to him on the outside.

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t care how bad his pass pro is. An OCs job is to use the talent on the offense. Fresh off 3 carries for over 100 yards, 2 TDS, and the 2 best runs by the team all the year, and he gets 3 carries both of the next two weeks (and has continued to be successful). Make them stop you. Put him in, and run him until the defense stops him. Even if they know the run is coming. Or make them sell out and utilize your audibles. Or sprinkle in some 3 step drops when he isn’t needed to block. No more excuses for obvious incompetence by the coaching on this one. If it’s not working, then you try something else. But it has worked all season long, and they just refuse to use the guy. I like Hyde, but there are enough carries to go around to include your other $15 million running back and your 35th pick of the draft, who have been arguably our two best skill players when they’ve actually been on the field. 

Im more concerned about Haleys complete inability to get Duke Johnson worked into a steady role especially when they need WR help. How hard is it to call some plays to get this man the ball more out of the backfield or slot. It cannot be that hard to put him in the slot and call a bunch of screens, drag routes and wheel routes down the sideline. Good OCs adapt to their personnel and can customize a offense for what works for everybodys strengths. His inability to factor in Duke to the passing game is mystifying.

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Who cares about the lack of FB that’s the least of their concerns. Hell, Haley’s doesn’t even use a FB really. Steelers FB played in %16 of their snaps last year. Year before that it was %9. Yeah Devalve has been hurt but Fells has been fine as the 3rd string TE

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im more concerned about Haleys complete inability to get Duke Johnson worked into a steady role especially when they need WR help. How hard is it to call some plays to get this man the ball more out of the backfield or slot. It cannot be that hard to put him in the slot and call a bunch of screens, drag routes and wheel routes down the sideline. Good OCs adapt to their personnel and can customize a offense for what works for everybodys strengths. His inability to factor in Duke to the passing game is mystifying.

Just being devils advocate...

you could call a bunch of screens, drags, and wheel routes but you really limit the amount of route combinations you can play off of that. It might make it simpler for the defense to defend the offense. 

Hell I would just like to see more 2 back formations with Hyde and Duke or Whatever. Run RPOs with running options with Hyde or a Passing out to Duke. 

Again just makes me pound the table more for Riley. Dude creates a lot to get mismatches. What he did to the tOSU defense with Baker last year was a thing of beauty 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Who cares about the lack of FB that’s the least of their concerns. Hell, Haley’s doesn’t even use a FB really. Steelers FB played in %16 of their snaps last year. Year before that it was %9. Yeah Devalve has been hurt but Fells has been fine as the 3rd string TE

I'm merely answering the man's question from a roster and scheme perspective buno, but keep up the good work as the forum FO and coaching apologist.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I'm merely answering the man's question from a roster and scheme perspective buno, but keep up the good work as the forum FO and coaching apologist.

This has nothing to do with FO or coaches.   I haven’t made any excuses for Hue or Haley. In ‘17 haley used a FB for %16 and in ‘16 in was %9. The guy doesn’t use FBs. If you could utilize the roster spot better wouldn’t you? It doesn’t make sense to carry a FB. 

Please tell me why it makes sense to carry a FB? So you could maybe use him once or twice to just block. Not worth the roster spot. 

You talk about a scheme  perspective, a FB doesn’t fit Haley’s schemes and the analytics back that up. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

This has nothing to do with FO or coaches.   I haven’t made any excuses for Hue or Haley. In ‘17 haley used a FB for %16 and in ‘16 in was %9. The guy doesn’t use FBs. If you could utilize the roster spot better wouldn’t you? It doesn’t make sense to carry a FB. 

Please tell me why it makes sense to carry a FB? So you could maybe use him once or twice to just block. Not worth the roster spot. 

You talk about a scheme  perspective, a FB doesn’t fit Haley’s schemes and the analytics back that up. 

I’m sure somehow this will go over your head but I NEVER SAID THAT WE SHOULD CARRY A FB. I said THAT WE DONT and therefore cannot schematically have a FB help with pass protection for that reason. LOL ? 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’m sure somehow this will go over your head but I NEVER SAID THAT WE SHOULD CARRY A FB. I said THAT WE DONT and therefore cannot schematically have a FB help with pass protection for that reason. LOL ? 

The way I read it, that you were laughing at the fact we don’t carry a FB. Hence why I said it made no reason to carry one 

Archived