GDT Week 7: Baltimore Ravens vs New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

really don't think the issue is Ravens D against Saints O but vice versa. The O needs to be able to hang in and continuosly put points on the board. The D is gonna be alright, i mean everybody and their mother is pimping them for their play thus far so lets hope Mornhinweg gets his ish together.

The Saints are a tough out, but ultimately it's our game to lose. 

The TDs we've given up this year-

Bills- 0

Bengals- 4

- Tavon Young on AJ Green in the Slot, RedZone TD. 2nd & Goal

*^^ Bengals had great field position set up by Flacco INT and Tony Jefferson DPI.

- Tavon Young on AJ Green in the Slot, Broken Tackle, No help, TD. 3rd & 2

- Marlon Humphrey on AJ Green, RedZone TD. 3rd & Goal

- Patrick "Peanut" Onwuasor on Tyler Boyd, RedZone TD. 2nd & Goal :|

Broncos- 2

- Royce Freeman Rushing TD, RedZone TD. 1st & Goal

*^^ Broncos had great field position set up by Blocked Punt.

- Emmanuel Sanders Rushing TD. End Around 35 Yards. 1st & 10

Steelers- 1

- Marlon Humphrey on Antonio Brown, TD. 2nd & 4

*^^ Coverage was fine, just a great play.

Browns- 1

- Marlon Humphrey on Rashard Higgins, RedZone TD. 1st & 10

*^^ This was a blown play by Marlon who committed a severe error.

Titans- 0

* No TDs have been scored in the Second Half

There's really nothing too concerning in that list besides the first half of the Bengals game. Short Week TNF Away Game. Mosley going down. Excuses galore, but in the end Wink was just getting worked. The Bengals got all the match ups they wanted and consistently made plays. The team tightened up in the second half, but the hole was too big to dig out of. 

What happened in the Bengals game isn't going to happen again. That many plays going against us just isn't a sustainable or replicable. The Browns game also had a number of low percentage plays that hurt us. 

The Saints have a solid core of Elite players, Brees, Kamara, Thomas, Jordan, Lattimore. Any of them could certainly make a big play, but a W is unlikely. We're at home. Brees has never beaten us. The defense's momentum is at it's highest point of the season. Key players are getting farther away from injuries/missed time. Everything is coming together.

Crabtree is riding high, Brown is due for another huge game, Snead wants to wound the Saints. Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst are only getting better, just waiting to be unleashed. Collins is Collins and Gus might have a little something.

Tim Williams snap count is rising. Special Teams are coming together. Execution is improving. I'm super excited for this game, the Saints are my NFC Super Bowl pick.

Ravens 34  Saints 17

The Saints have scored 40 or more 3 times so far, and only against the Browns they where somewhat contained on offense.

If we are going to win, we need to score 27 or more. As far as I recall, we had pretty close games against them until we had big plays on defense.

Flacco and the offense avoiding turnovers and putting 2 TD's and 2-3 field goals on the board and a pick 6/fumble recovery for a TD should be enough if our defense is to be considered that elite unit it is praised to be at the moment.

11 hours ago, Danand said:

The Saints have scored 40 or more 3 times so far, and only against the Browns they where somewhat contained on offense.

If we are going to win, we need to score 27 or more. As far as I recall, we had pretty close games against them until we had big plays on defense.

Flacco and the offense avoiding turnovers and putting 2 TD's and 2-3 field goals on the board and a pick 6/fumble recovery for a TD should be enough if our defense is to be considered that elite unit it is praised to be at the moment.

Some of those defenses they’ve faced and hung 40 include TB and ATL. WAS has been decent on D, but that game in NO. They haven’t put up 40 outdoors. They put up 33 in the Meadowlands but the Giants are absolute trash. Browns are the best D they’ve faced most likely and they were slowed. I’m not saying they aren’t a formidable opponent, but marking them down for 35+ seems a bit premature given circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Some of those defenses they’ve faced and hung 40 include TB and ATL. WAS has been decent on D, but that game in NO. They haven’t put up 40 outdoors. They put up 33 in the Meadowlands but the Giants are absolute trash. Browns are the best D they’ve faced most likely and they were slowed. I’m not saying they aren’t a formidable opponent, but marking them down for 35+ seems a bit premature given circumstances. 

Hence my "we need 27 or more" prediction, I believe we can hold them to less than 27 or close to 30. 

I just think the lowest bar for a Saints offense is around the 21 point mark against the Browns. Outside and maybe again in some bad weather will suit us the best, but this is a real benchmark test for this team.

Good bit of comedy right here...

1. The narrative Brett is trying to get going is simply not true. Sure we do better against young, inexperienced, slow to process QBs..... just as every defense does. It clearly isn't a requirement for our defense to be wildly successful though.

2. Overall the video is just really insulting to our defense this year and of years past. If you just watched this video and then went to verify with recorded results, you'd be shocked to find that Brees has never beaten us and that we've laid waste to ALL-TIME great QBs repeatedly. 

3. Also, the downplaying of the individual talent we do have is odd. Our Pass Defense isn't built on the backs of our pass rushers, it's so successful because of our talent at CB. We have 2 Elite CBs in Jimmy & Marlon and with the level Carr is currently playing at 2 Very Good CBs in Tavon and him. 

4. There was no mention of the steeler game, and our different approach to stifling that offense as opposed to the Titan's. Why? Cause then he doesn't have a video. 

It really isn't that big of a deal. The Saints could absolutely beat us. The premise he's putting out there for that conclusion though...doesn't gel with me. I hope the defense and Wink watch this. There's still more respect to be earned. Everyone is waiting on this game to see how real we are. 

Well I can’t hate, he did hedge his bets in the end.

He does make some notable points. I do however believe that he’s only partly right. Tim Williams has been resting his body in the last few weeks. He has the definite ability to be a truly disrupting pass rushing factor.

Either way, this game is going to be VERY interesting. Very exciting. If we win this game with a great defensive performance, don’t be surprised if I create a premature thread comparing this defense to our best defenses of yesteryears, notably 2000 and 2006.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Tim Williams has been resting his body in the last few weeks. He has the definite ability to be a truly disrupting pass rushing factor.

Even on a touchy hamstring last week, he torched Taylor Lewan a couple times. I'd bet we match him up against Ryan Ramczyk this week. Let Suggs/Smith work against Terron Armstead. Though even if in the rare event a Tackle has the speed to compete against Timmy, like an Armstead, his inside counter moves are still brutal enough to win consistently. Sooo glad he's on our side :D.

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Either way, this game is going to be VERY interesting. Very exciting. If we win this game with a great defensive performance, don’t be surprised if I create a premature thread comparing this defense to our best defenses of yesteryears, notably 2000 and 2006.

I agree. We don't get to play the NFC South very often and our team this year is finally strong again. It kind of reminds me of a big '11 or '12 game. 

Can we expect cross era player comparisons? "The feared 2000 Ravens of legend had Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa to block out the Sun, but not to be outdone this current Ravens unit boasts two behemoths of it's own- Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce":ph34r:

Everything is more fun when your team is winning lol.

11 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just wish there was a torrential downpour. This team is undefeated in horrible weather games this year. In fact all such games have been easily won.

Someone on reddit suggested each fan bring a bottle of water and dump it on the field or something before the game to simulate heavy rain conditions.

Not good for Marlon. I think there's a big chance he's out on Sunday.

Rumor is a picture from practice was posted and quickly taken down that showed the Stanley-Hurst-Skura-Yanda-Brown configuration. So Orlando might get his first start against the Saints. Davenport and Jordan are great players but aren't burners off the edge. They seem like a good welcome to the NFL test for Brown. 

If this switch up kicks the running game into gear against "the league's top run defense" then there's a good chance Alex Lewis will not return as a starter. Grim way for the move to be made, with his injury and everything, but he's performed well below expectations.

Archived