2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Floor probably second round. We have seen that this stuff has some impact, obviously, but not as bad as people think. Jaylon Smith went from top 10 pick to top of the second round. Sydney Jones was a first round pick went in the second. I would suspect that he still goes in the first 45 picks. 

I'm taking him at #31 if I'm the Rams.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, Forge said:

Floor probably second round. We have seen that this stuff has some impact, obviously, but not as bad as people think. Jaylon Smith went from top 10 pick to top of the second round. Sydney Jones was a first round pick went in the second. I would suspect that he still goes in the first 45 picks. 

Disagree.  This doesn't just have the injury concern component.  There's also the DV aspect that is going to have teams take him off their board.  He's a late Day 2 pick at best IMO now.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Disagree.  This doesn't just have the injury concern component.  There's also the DV aspect that is going to have teams take him off their board.  He's a late Day 2 pick at best IMO now.

I'm going under the assumption that teams have already taken that into account and he was still going to be a top 15 pick. If that is the case, I think the injury likely just pushes him to the second round. That's a big assumption, of course, but I have no data to to input on how teams were addressing the DV in his situation. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm going under the assumption that teams have already taken that into account and he was still going to be a top 15 pick. If that is the case, I think the injury likely just pushes him to the second round. That's a big assumption, of course, but I have no data to to input on how teams were addressing the DV in his situation. 

Legitimately asking, what's the highest that a player has been drafted with notable DV issues?

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not trying to single you out, but when will fans realize that rankings aren't supposed to be in a numerical order.  Players are graded out in tiers.

It’s called a ranking system. Gun to the head who are you taking in what order. I understand tiers and I know more than you think I do apparently. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately asking, what's the highest that a player has been drafted with notable DV issues?

Valid question, hadn't really thought of it because like I said, was already building the DV issue into the fact that he was considered a top 15 pick. Now I'm scouring my brain to try and think of guys who had issues specific to DV. The thing is, I feel like DV specific ones are kind of a small sample size, particularly higher profile ones. Obviously, teams have had no issues with taking high risk guys in the first round, but that's not always DV specific. Percy Harvin attacked a coach physically. Randy Moss had his fight. Jameis had the rape allegation. The highest DV specific case may actually be Mixon? I'm not sure. 

Definitely an interesting question. 

Just now, Counselor said:

It’s called a ranking system. Gun to the head who are you taking in what order. I understand tiers and I know more than you think I do apparently. 

You're talking about splitting hairs at that point.  And most likely comes down to systems or personal preferences.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, CWood21 said:

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, Forge said:

Valid question, hadn't really thought of it because like I said, was already building the DV issue into the fact that he was considered a top 15 pick. Now I'm scouring my brain to try and think of guys who had issues specific to DV. The thing is, I feel like DV specific ones are kind of a small sample size, particularly higher profile ones. Obviously, teams have had no issues with taking high risk guys in the first round, but that's not always DV specific. Percy Harvin attacked a coach physically. Randy Moss had his fight. Jameis had the rape allegation. The highest DV specific case may actually be Mixon? I'm not sure. 

Definitely an interesting question. 

One issue with all of this: What Simmons did wasn't domestic violence.

Just now, jrry32 said:

One issue with all of this: What Simmons did wasn't a domestic violence.

I'm generally attaching the act of violence against women under the same heading. I did the same thing for the Hunt issue. Technically what Mixon did wasn't DV either. I just think that they are treated the same under the NFL since it all stemmed against from the treatment of women and actually just falls under "personal conduct". Zeke was suspended under  the "personal conduct policy", I'm pretty sure, not under some sort of special DV heading. I could be wrong, of course, but that's the way I've been looking at it for a while now. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm generally attaching the act of violence against women under the same heading. I did the same thing for the Hunt issue. Technically what Mixon did wasn't DV either. I just think that they are treated the same under the NFL since it all stemmed against from the treatment of women and actually just falls under "personal conduct". Zeke was suspended under  the "personal conduct policy", I'm pretty sure, not under some sort of special DV heading. I could be wrong, of course, but that's the way I've been looking at it for a while now. 

There’s a big difference, IMO. It takes a more pervasive anger issue to assault someone that you’re close to. That person is at a higher risk to continue to assault and to a greater degree (aggravated) when they commit domestic assaults. This is proven by data in various studies. There’s a reason it makes You prohibited from having a firearm. It should Be reflected as such by the nfl. But that’s just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

There�s a big difference, IMO. It takes a more pervasive�anger issue to assault someone that you�re close to. That person is at a higher risk to continue to assault and to a greater degree (aggravated) when they commit domestic assaults. This is proven by data in various studies.�There�s a reason it makes You prohibited from having a firearm. It should Be reflected as such by the nfl. But that�s just my opinion.�

I'm not going to get into all that, as whether I agree or disagree is immaterial. I just don't think that the NFL treats it differently? I may absolutely be mistaken though, I'm far from an expert in the NFL disciplinary bode and bylaws (though in fairness, I'm reasonably sure the NFL isn't either)

Archived