Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Was just doing some reading about Fox Sports and ESPN. ESPN really screwed up going all in with NBA > NFL. They’re trying to rectify that by hiring Romo and improving Monday Night Football.

Also, I guess Skip Bayless is genuinely a ****** and his character on TV is actually mild compared to how bad he is in real life. If you worked at ESPN, you could never criticize Skip. 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:15 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Was I that transparent?

I grew up in Canton, my parents are still there. Crazy how much it’s changed since I moved 16 years ago.

Just show him your **** already.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, candyman93 said:

Was just doing some reading about Fox Sports and ESPN. ESPN really screwed up going all in with NBA > NFL. They’re trying to rectify that by hiring Romo and improving Monday Night Football.

Also, guess Skip Bayless is genuinely a ****** and his character on TV is actually mild compared to how bad he is in real life. If you worked at ESPN, you could never criticize Skip. 

🤔 The bolded.

Have a hard time believing Skip is that terrible IRL. Him and Stephen A were terrible to watch together. Then they had their break. Stephen A is even worse now, while Skip is generally fine with Shannon. It's a decent show. Hmm.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Don’t know how accurate this is, but I talked to a teacher about snow days and school cancelations.

A lot of kids charge / get free meals. So cancelling school for even a day can cause kids to miss a meal.

Unfortunately it’s true.  A lot of kids in bad situations only get consistent meals at school, which is really unfortunate.

I saw on Facebook that a school in Canton is doing free dinners now as well Monday through Thursday.  The only requirement is you have to be under 18 iirc.  Really good stuff.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Don’t know how accurate this is, but I talked to a teacher about snow days and school cancelations.

A lot of kids charge / get free meals. So cancelling school for even a day can cause kids to miss a meal.

When I taught inner city, we were told one year "We WILL NOT have snow days this year on a Friday" because 99% of our kids were on free/reduced breakfast and lunch and needed 2 guaranteed meals going into the weekend.

One Friday we were bombarded with snow/ice and had kids coming in 2 hours late, so we were flexible and had almost every kid eating in our classes. Real life is hard for so many of our kids and honestly makes me take a step back and appreciate what I have/had growing up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When I taught inner city, we were told one year "We WILL NOT have snow days this year on a Friday" because 99% of our kids were on free/reduced breakfast and lunch and needed 2 guaranteed meals going into the weekend.

One Friday we were bombarded with snow/ice and had kids coming in 2 hours late, so we were flexible and had almost every kid eating in our classes. Real life is hard for so many of our kids and honestly makes me take a step back and appreciate what I have/had growing up.

Yeah man.

It’s sad as hell to think about the amount of wealth we have as a country and the excess to which many of us live and to think there’s still kids going hungry.

I’m fortunate that I’ve never had to worry about stuff like where my next meal will come from or how will I stay warm I’m the winter, but a lot of folks do.

Count your blessings and help others.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah man.

It’s sad as hell to think about the amount of wealth we have as a country and the excess to which many of us live and to think there’s still kids going hungry.

I’m fortunate that I’ve never had to worry about stuff like where my next meal will come from or how will I stay warm I’m the winter, but a lot of folks do.

Count your blessings and help others.

Teaching/Coaching in an affluent middle to upper middle class district (as you know) many of our teachers/kids don't realize it (albeit 12-16% still do). Some of the stupid stuff people complain about infuriates me. If a kid is hungry/thirsty, then I let them eat or drink in my class as long as they throw their stuff away. I currently have a kid in class who spent all of last week at a homeless shelter, and I'm just trying to get her to graduate. I'm sorry that your students are like 15 seconds to your class and roll their eyes occasionally...10 years ago I had to make a CPS call about a mom using her 13 year old as a drug mule.

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Teaching/Coaching in an affluent middle to upper middle class district (as you know) many of our teachers/kids don't realize it (albeit 12-16% still do).

It’s not just teachers, most folks don’t seem to realize not everyone lives like they do.

Some of the stupid stuff people complain about infuriates me. If a kid is hungry/thirsty, then I let them eat or drink in my class as long as they throw their stuff away.

Yeah man, if a kid is hungry, feed them/let them eat.  This isn’t rocket surgery.  Peanut butter and jelly sammiches are cheap and filling.

I currently have a kid in class who spent all of last week at a homeless shelter, and I'm just trying to get her to graduate. I'm sorry that your students are like 15 seconds to your class and roll their eyes occasionally...10 years ago I had to make a CPS call about a mom using her 13 year old as a drug mule.

Gross. 

Not to make things political, but when people act like everyone has a fair shot at success, stuff like this is why they’re full of ****. Most kids like that have lost before the game even starts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not just teachers, most folks don’t seem to realize not everyone lives like they do.

This isn't about me donning a cape/saving the world, but most people in general are clueless as to what teaching has become. It's ironic, because I teach college courses in the afternoon (College Credit Plus if you're familiar) and in the mornings I work with at risk students. I get to see the whole gamete every day. 

Yeah man, if a kid is hungry, feed them/let them eat.  This isn’t rocket surgery.  Peanut butter and jelly sammiches are cheap and filling.

Yeah, and if they're tired, it's usually for a reason. Sudden drop in grades? They decided to quit football/cheer/show choir/something that they've been passionate about their whole life? Maybe before we blame adolescence/give up on them we figure out why that's the case.

Gross. 

Not to make things political, but when people act like everyone has a fair shot at success, stuff like this is why they’re full of ****. Most kids like that have lost before the game even starts.

IMO we have a major societal issue about parenthood/especially fatherhood (and education to a degree too) that transcends culture/ethnicity and is more about SES (Socioeconomic status for those of you at home that may not follow the million abbreviations us educator folk use). The cycle is just almost impossible to ignore, and throwing money at this problem won't go away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Teaching/Coaching in an affluent middle to upper middle class district (as you know) many of our teachers/kids don't realize it (albeit 12-16% still do). Some of the stupid stuff people complain about infuriates me. If a kid is hungry/thirsty, then I let them eat or drink in my class as long as they throw their stuff away. I currently have a kid in class who spent all of last week at a homeless shelter, and I'm just trying to get her to graduate. I'm sorry that your students are like 15 seconds to your class and roll their eyes occasionally...10 years ago I had to make a CPS call about a mom using her 13 year old as a drug mule.

Yeah when I was coaching, I would bring in bread and PBJ. Told the kids who didn’t have any food that they can get a PBJ before or after practices, that they can help themselves, just don’t waste food. If a kid wanted to take a sandwich home, just ask to let me know. It was big during the down times between 2-a-days. 

like you said, about letting kids eat. The ones I knew who struggled affording food and meals, I would keep snacks in my room and let the kids eat before school, during a down period, or something like that. If they were really struggling. I would write them a pass to leave the room they were suppose to be in so they could come down, eat something real quick and talk for a bit. 

most angry I ever was as a teacher was a student faking being hungry so she could get pop tarts. Only because her parents wouldn’t allow her to eat food like that. Told her just ask and any that could be spared, you can have, but don’t fake it, when others need it

• Like 1