The Best Movie Ever Made According to You (AND WHY)

MacReady

12 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Watched Good Will Hunting and Dead Poets Society this weekend in a homage to Robin Williams. Absolutely incredible films. 

One Hour Photo surely is my own favorite of all his even though it's not much inspiring and maybe not as great like the ones that you have mentioned.

Edited by PurpleLion

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had time to write out arguments for each of these, some I would consider all time great movies:

Sci-fi:

Matrix (1999)

Inception (2010)

Drama:

Fight Club (1999)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

City of God (2002)

Godfather (1972)

I can't put comedies on here some jokes just don't hold up after multiple viewings. 

Edited by nlesthought
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2017 at 8:02 AM, MathMan said:

Yes, this is a wonderful movie.

My favorite Nic Cage performance

The interplay between Cage's character (Peter Loew), & Maria Conchita Alonso's (Alva) - was brilliant. 

Cage needs to play a Weinstein type character  in a spoof on Hollywood's behind the scenes, & casting couch antics. 

On 8/29/2017 at 12:19 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm trying to remain calm...

Action movies as they exist right now would not exist without Die Hard.  Die Hard forever changed the action genre.  I'm not going to list the reasons because I'm lazy now, but Die Hard is, to me, without a doubt, the single greatest action movie ever made.  It still holds up to this day, and it paved the way for action as we know it.  If you're interested, give a few of these articles a read.  They're not long, but they do an alright (not great) job of explaining things.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/5-things-die-hard-changed-about-action-movies-forever

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/jul/19/die-hard-25th-anniversary-action-film

To be fair, I don't think he was saying that John Wick was the best action movie, just that it had the best choreographed action. In which I think he would have a case, I haven't seen any other movies with better choreographed action, personally. Doesn't make it the best action movie, far from it considering other facets of a movie like plot, characters, etc. Obviously doesn't make it the best movie.

My personal entry to the answer of this thread would be Warrior (2011). Took some of the best elements of a classic sports movie like Rocky and modernized it, smoothed out the rough edges. And then doubled down by adding two true protagonists (one antihero, one classic hero) and gave each of them some excellent backstories, character development, and internal and external conflict. Great soundtrack, great atmosphere, great acting, solid pacing, and a climactic ending to remember. Take a look if you haven't seen it yet.

Next would be End of Watch (2012) and then the Dark Knight (2008), in which I could make a hard case for the best cop movie and the best superhero movie. Django Unchained is also a classic, but Tarantino's pacing always throws me for a loop tbh.

And yes, all of these films are fairly recent. I believe in films paying their dues but being first doesn't mean being the best.

I think the movie that best fits my criteria of "I think this was exceptionally well done" and "I really, really enjoyed this movie" and "I can rewatch this movie many times and still enjoy it" and the very subjective "This movie was my favorite cinematic experience ever" is: Inglorious Basterds.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2017 at 9:47 PM, incognito_man said:

I think the movie that best fits my criteria of "I think this was exceptionally well done" and "I really, really enjoyed this movie" and "I can rewatch this movie many times and still enjoy it" and the very subjective "This movie was my favorite cinematic experience ever" is: Inglorious Basterds.

"I think this was exceptionally well done"

Die Hard

The Godfather

Se7en

Killing of a Sacred Deer

The Terminator

Back to the Future

"I really, really enjoyed this movie"

Wet Hot American Summer

Cabin in the Woods

Tropic Thunder

Dumb and Dumber

Gremlins

Universal Soldier

Death Warrant

"I can rewatch this movie many times and still enjoy it"

In Bruges

Cannibal: The Musical

Inglorious Basterds

Freddy Got Fingered

Seven Psychopaths

The Cornetto Trilogy

"This movie was my favorite cinematic experience ever"

Jurassic Park

Terminator 2

Scream

Infinity War

I guess for me, it comes down to a few questions:

1. Is it timeless? 

Can someone sit down and watch it without even daring to remake it?

2. How's the dialogue?

Overall acting, chemistry, and the cast/role for each

3. Is there enough action/going on to hold my interest/the interest of someone that may not care about the historical background, sport, etc. (Overall Cinematic Experience included)

4. Will I stop everything that I'm doing to watch the climax/ending of the movie even if I have seen it 10,000 times, own it, etc.

5. How's the Music/soundtrack?

For me, here's the list:

*The Natural (I will watch the ending EVERY SINGLE TIME): Mystery, flawed hero, symbolism, music, references to old school baseball heroes (Ted Williams #9, there goes Roy Hobbs, the best that ever was)

*Rocky 1-4: Could be classified as sports, romance, or drama

*Die Hard: Cinematic Experience. The quintessential "I need something with lots of explosions/sound effects" for my new surround sound/HD TV back in the day experience

*Armageddon (Admitted definite guilty pleasure/not in the GOAT conversation): Harry/Bruce Willis doesn't know how to fail

*Indiana Jones and Raiders/Last Crusade: Music, prime Harrison Ford, plot, humor, dialogue, historical references

*It's a Wonderful Life: Jimmy Stewart, feel good, introspective, Great Depression tribute, life has value, etc.

*Shawshank Redemption

*GoodWill Hunting: Matt Damon + Robin Williams dialogue is fantastic. Unique plot as well

• Like 2