Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson

tyler735

Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better RB?

• Todd Gurley
    • LaDainian Tomlinson

5 hours ago, eagles18 said:

LT was Leveon Bell and Todd Gurley put together in terms of talent. Easily top five RB of all time and a case can be made for the best ever. 

I think Ezekiel Elliott and Todd Gurley put together is probably a more apt comparison. Bell and Gurley are pretty similar players, but Gurley is the more physically gifted player.

On 26/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's great and all but when you really examine Gurley's stats this year, they're not that impressive. I'll give you some specific examples that kind of give context to the season he's having:

This kind of stats bother me and it's a stupid stats. It's king of saying Gurley is a vulture RB or a goal line RB that only run when the team is on the goal line. 

So in 7 games he only rush for 43 yards and 11 Td ?? What about the other 643 yards rush ?? It doesn't matter because they don't result in TD ? :lol: 

If he rush for 30 yards and stopped at the 5 yard in the red zone. And then rush for a 5  yards TD it's a disgrace ? 

14 hours ago, Flounch said:

This kind of stats bother me and it's a stupid stats. It's king of saying Gurley is a vulture RB or a goal line RB that only run when the team is on the goal line. 

So in 7 games he only rush for 43 yards and 11 Td ?? What about the other 643 yards rush ?? It doesn't matter because they don't result in TD ? :lol: 

If he rush for 30 yards and stopped at the 5 yard in the red zone. And then rush for a 5  yards TD it's a disgrace ? 

He can be a "vulture." We weren't doing so hot in the red-zone until McVay decided to give the ball to Gurley consistently there. Gurley puts the ball in the end-zone. That's the extent of my caring.

15 hours ago, Flounch said:

The point of that kind of stat is more just to show that TDs are largely a matter of opportunity. Which has always been the case. A big part of why the TD record changed hands so frequently in the early 2000s is because every team in the league was giving the ball to the RB once they got inside the 10, and that was that. You didn't have screens or shovel passes or jet sweeps on the goalline. You either handed it to the RB, through a fade, or had a TE good enough to throw a jump ball too. So RBs got all the TDs. And if you were a workhorse RB on a great offense you feasted. Gurley is going nuts with TDs for that same kind of reason.  But that's neither a new situation nor a big deal. Hell, Mahomes gets similar criticism on the opposite side for KC. A bunch of short little TD passes, because we do short throws and misdirection plays on the goal line. While the Rams mostly just hand it to Gurley.

As jrry said above, the Rams are scoring TDs. Whether people want to argue context about it really doesn't matter as long as they're doing that.

21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think Ezekiel Elliott and Todd Gurley put together is probably a more apt comparison. Bell and Gurley are pretty similar players, but Gurley is the more physically gifted player.

In terms of style, Barkley would be the most accurate comparison IMO.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The point of that kind of stat is more just to show that TDs are largely a matter of opportunity. Which has always been the case. A big part of why the TD record changed hands so frequently in the early 2000s is because every team in the league was giving the ball to the RB once they got inside the 10, and that was that. You didn't have screens or shovel passes or jet sweeps on the goalline. You either handed it to the RB, through a fade, or had a TE good enough to throw a jump ball too. So RBs got all the TDs. And if you were a workhorse RB on a great offense you feasted. Gurley is going nuts with TDs for that same kind of reason.  But that's neither a new situation nor a big deal. Hell, Mahomes gets similar criticism on the opposite side for KC. A bunch of short little TD passes, because we do short throws and misdirection plays on the goal line. While the Rams mostly just hand it to Gurley.

As jrry said above, the Rams are scoring TDs. Whether people want to argue context about it really doesn't matter as long as they're doing that.

Yep. McVay used to love to pass and use misdirection in the red-zone. But this year, he learned a valuable lesson. Keep it simple. We were all getting frustrated with him at times in the past because he wouldn't just pound it in. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:38 PM, NVRamsFan said:

It’s so fun being a Rams fan right now. Gurley is only good because of the line and the rest of the talent on offense. Gurley isn’t that good because his backup has more ypc, yet last week somebody was also calling Brown a scrub. Goff isn’t that good because Gurley the line and his receivers are so good. TE Rams WR aren’t that good it’s all Goff and the system. Goff, Gurley and the line all get called system players. McVay isn’t that good he’s just got good players. The players aren’t that good they’re just carried by McVay. Every week the narrative changes, makes it very entertaining to read people’s opinions on the Rams so far nobody is that good and yet everybody is good, the story just changes depending on who people want to say isn’t good.

Welcome to being a Packer fan in the early part of the decade.

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not to pile on the Gurley train, but this was the long run from the Packer game: 

In72LHM.gif

And he still had damm near 200 Yards.’

What’s up with fans trying to shat on Gurley after getting handled? Why leave out a insane catch that turned the tide? 

Or that he iced the game to end on a 3rd and 10. 

Like what was the point to post that gif? 

To say he can’t break tackles? 

That he can’t create Yards? 

That he needs a Oline? 

Fancy me. 

Just now, El ramster said:

And he still had damm near 200 Yards.’

What’s up with fans trying to shat on Gurley after getting handled? Why leave out a insane catch that turned the tide? 

Like what was the point to post that gif? 

To say he can’t break tackles? 

That he can’t create Yards? 

That he needs a Oline? 

Fancy me. 

Nobody's ripping on Gurley. The man is an amazing player. He's as valuable to a team as it's possible for a RB to be.

There was discussion about Gurley as a runner when comparing RB yards vs Line yards. This is an example of a huge amount of run yards that were all line yards.

I'll tell you something that nobody wants to believe though, At least 80% of every running backs yards are line yards. Running backs just aren't that important when it comes to running the football. That applies to Todd Gurley, that applies to Aaron Jones, that applies to Adrian Peterson, that applies to Alex Collins. Most guys are just going to get the blocked yardage on most plays.

I posted the gif because I already had it made as part of a different discussion. Packers fans ripping on recently departed HHCD for a missed tackle, when the far more troubling issue is Blake Martinez getting reached like a high school freshman in his first game. 

Gurley had the one great catch along the sideline. The TD was a basic drag route that the Packers just flubbed. It wasn't an amazing play by Gurley. It was a catch and run. I don't even think he was touched. 

But I'll add something else, all of this criticism of Todd Gurley, all applies to LT as well. The vast majority of LT's yards were blocked yards also. 

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody's ripping on Gurley. The man is an amazing player. He's as valuable to a team as it's possible for a RB to be.

There was discussion about Gurley as a runner when comparing RB yards vs Line yards. This is an example of a huge amount of run yards that were all line yards.

I'll tell you something that nobody wants to believe though, At least 80% of every running backs yards are line yards. Running backs just aren't that important when it comes to running the football. That applies to Todd Gurley, that applies to Aaron Jones, that applies to Adrian Peterson, that applies to Alex Collins. Most guys are just going to get the blocked yardage on most plays.

I posted the gif because I already had it made as part of a different discussion. Packers fans ripping on recently departed HHCD for a missed tackle, when the far more troubling issue is Blake Martinez getting reached like a high school freshman in his first game. 

Gurley had the one great catch along the sideline. The TD was a basic drag route that the Packers just flubbed. It wasn't an amazing play by Gurley. It was a catch and run. I don't even think he was touched. 

But I'll add something else, all of this criticism of Todd Gurley, all applies to LT as well. The vast majority of LT's yards were blocked yards also. 

You’re arguing against yourself.. 

Lt had amazing talent on the later part of his career. He was under 4 YPC quite a bit in his career.. I still don’t get your point. Gurley had 195 Yards yet you’re busting out a not impressed.. How do you say broke in Spanish? Yo no Hablo. 

Archived