2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The Jets added a LOT of salary and somehow still haven't figured out a way to either:

1. Protect Sam Darnold

2. Give Sam Darnold weapons

So, aside from the fact that they're likely to Jets this thing and kill his career before he has a legitimate chance, I'd see them going OT or overdrafting a WR early in the draft. JMHO

Taking a page out of the old Dan Snyder playbook - flashy signings that likely won't amount to more than a couple additional wins. 

I've decided that if we don't go DL in the 1st with this loaded class, I'm all aboard the Hockenson train at #17. The double TE sets with him and Njoku to go with Landry and Calloway that would allow creativity in not only the double TE but freeing up Njoku as a hybrid would create so many mismatches. Throw in Chubb and Hunt as 2 back sets to go with this...and of course KITCHENS!!!! AHHHHH! The possibilities!

Just now, MWil23 said:

I've decided that if we don't go DL in the 1st with this loaded class, I'm all aboard the Hockenson train at #17. The double TE sets with him and Njoku to go with Landry and Calloway that would allow creativity in not only the double TE but freeing up Njoku as a hybrid would create so many mismatches. Throw in Chubb and Hunt as 2 back sets to go with this...and of course KITCHENS!!!! AHHHHH! The possibilities!

That's a hard pass on a TE in the first round. There's too much talent in the top 60 picks of this draft to be drafting a second TE in the first round, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, BakerBakerTDMaker said:

That's a hard pass on a TE in the first round. There's too much talent in the top 60 picks of this draft to be drafting a second TE in the first round, IMO. 

I understand this line of thinking, but I'd personally love a true TE. If we don't get him in the first, I'd take his fellow Iowa TE in the 2nd or 3rd or Irv Smith. I'd still prefer an EDGE/DT guy in the first at 17 for the record, but if we go offense, I want Hockenson.

5 minutes ago, BakerBakerTDMaker said:

well, njoku cant block and sometimes he cant catch so if someone is dominant there i wouldnt mind and then honestly prob let njoku go after his contract is up.  or just use njoku as the big wr we desperately need

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

well, njoku cant block and sometimes he cant catch so if someone is dominant there i wouldnt mind and then honestly prob let njoku go after his contract is up.  or just use njoku as the big wr we desperately need

Yup. The eyeballs this day say Njoku will be looked back as a meh pick. I would be fine grabbing a TE or two in this draft.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve just started watching some of Hockenson game film, and I can’t lie I’m quickly getting on his bandwagon. If he’s BPA at 17 I’m definitely down!  (May not be there). He kills 2 birds with one football. Really good receiver and really good blocker. In fact so much so I’ve seen him set up LBs and safety’s that he’s going to block and blow by them. 😂. Good speed, good size, decent hands, good blocker and smart. He’s the total package at TE which we haven’t had in YEARS. He would immediately become Bakers best friend. 

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

TE for me is just a position that I think can be filled easily outside the first round. I don't care to draft RB, TE, OG or SAF in the first round given the more simple transition to the next level. 

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I understand this line of thinking, but I'd personally love a true TE. If we don't get him in the first, I'd take his fellow Iowa TE in the 2nd or 3rd or Irv Smith. I'd still prefer an EDGE/DT guy in the first at 17 for the record, but if we go offense, I want Hockenson.

I get it - Hockensen is definitely a stud - I'm just not a fan of TE's in the first. I feel like it's a position we can get fair production out of in lower rounds and develop. I mean guys like Cameron and Barnidge were unsexy, but effective as heck and didn't cost much. The talent at the top of this draft just supports drafting a more premier position, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yup. The eyeballs this day say Njoku will be looked back as a meh pick. I would be fine grabbing a TE or two in this draft.

I’d like to point out Njoku is still just 22.  

He’s younger than a lot of dudes who are gonna be drafted this year.

If we aren't going DT in round 1 the guy I want most after watching him for the first time recently is Andy Isabella. He can be a game breaker on offense. I honestly am totally off the idea of Odell Beckham because I would rather have Andy Isabella. When I first made the comment he was a sure fire 1st rounder I thought he measured at the combine 5'10 and change. Turns out it was only 5'8 and change, but I watched his games again and decided F it the kid is a bonfire 1st rounder I don't care if he were 5'5

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This also. There's still time for Njoku to develop. He was overdrafted but mostly due to his raw talent. The blocking effort is there, just lacking technique. Seth Devalve can block pretty darn well also, same with Orson Charles. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

not saying he cant get there but its time to win a title boys
not to mention our only other tight end is seth devalve
also hernandez and gronk were gonna break the league

Archived