Pre-Season Week 2 GDT : Falcons @ Steelers

steelcurtain29

4 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

armsteeld, nice to see you back in the fold.  Props for making the early call on Mike Hilton.  (You've had a few Lemons over the years, but you got that one!) ;)  Get that?

Agree with most of it but calling VW and Matakevich trash is a bit over the top, I think.  Though I didn't see the first TD drive by ATL so can't speak to that.  I thought they were around the ball a lot in the first half.  (Didn't see the 2nd.)  What I did notice was quite a few missed tackles from Burns and assorted others.  

McGee's blocking has been impressive, but who is he knocking off the 53?  

Been busy with school but I've been reading posts. When your ILBs are making tackles 5-6 yards off the LOS, they're getting whipped or late to diagnose /attack or slow (Matakevich). A couple of times Heyward and Tuitt were driven back into the ILBs.Burns has me impressed. He did miss a tackle blitzing off the edge iirc. Regarding McGee, that's a hard one but his blocking has been so good that I'd try to keep him. XMan is replaceable.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Vanilla or not, Cockrell was beaten repeatedly by 3rd/4th/5th string WRs. Many of the completions were on quick 2-3 step drops. Pressure isn't going to be there anyway. CBs don't play Vanilla Defense. They cover the Man they're facing to the best of their ability. His best was very very bad. 

Well, I dont think anyone is arguing that we have shortcomings in talent in certain areas that could bite us....and a guy like Cockrell has been around long enough that we know what we are getting from him, and its not much more than mediocre play, at best.   But as a whole, our defense seems to play better during the regular season than in the preseason.     I remember going into last season and maybe even the season before, alot of us felt like we were going to have one of the worst defenses in the league, and the preseasons seemed to confirmed that....but in the regular season, we were usually around middle of the pack and sometimes, the defense played like a top 10 defense, despite some issues in certain areas.

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It seems like our defense usually looks worse in the preseason than it ends up being in the regular season.     Im not saying our defense will be good this year, but almost every year since Ive been on this site (almost 11 years....wow!!!), we as fans are always complaining about the defense, and most years, its better than it looked in the preseason.   Aside from playing vanilla defense and some players worried about getting hurt, I dont think some players, especially young ones, really get to settle in and get used to the real defense and the players around them until the regular season rolls around.

Bottom line....good or bad, I usually take most of what I see in preseason with a grain of salt.   There are some things you can definitely take away from it, but its not the be all-end all..

This is the good anti-reactionary way of looking at things.   I think Tomlin and the staff look at pre-season differently (as they should) than the regular season.  It's not about winning games, it's about evaluating talent and putting guys in a position to show what they can do.  Vanilla schemes to some extent used so he can see guys playing fast and making quick decisions.  

It has been a pattern of playing sub-par preseason games and then pulling it together for the regular season.  I'm just just surprised they are 2-0 with Dobbs starting.  Hopefully they get the kinks worked out and get the right guys in the right positions come Sept. 10.

I look for growth in players during the preseason. Artie Burns has grown tremendously in just one season. His confidence is scary for such a young player but I love it. 

Farring Hueguemin (sp) #41, looks really good at OLB. His motor and strength is impressive. The guys I'm really waiting to see are Keion Adams, Bud Dupree, Senquez Golson, and less of Matakevich. He lacks that sand in the pants to anchor vs the run. Tackles after the RB has ran for 5 yards doesn't impress me.

8 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I look for growth in players during the preseason. Artie Burns has grown tremendously in just one season. His confidence is scary for such a young player but I love it. 

Farring Hueguemin (sp) #41, looks really good at OLB. His motor and strength is impressive. The guys I'm really waiting to see are Keion Adams, Bud Dupree, Senquez Golson, and less of Matakevich. He lacks that sand in the pants to anchor vs the run. Tackles after the RB has ran for 5 yards doesn't impress me.

This is why I mentioned in another tread about missing Timmons.  Without Shazier, the ILB are SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.  I watch a game from last season with Shazier was out and it was Timmons making the plays sideline-to-sideline.  And Timmons making the plays in coverage.  Matakevich will be a fine backup but so will Fort.  ILB will be come a priority next off season.

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

This is why I mentioned in another tread about missing Timmons.  Without Shazier, the ILB are SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.  I watch a game from last season with Shazier was out and it was Timmons making the plays sideline-to-sideline.  And Timmons making the plays in coverage.  Matakevich will be a fine backup but so will Fort.  ILB will be come a priority next off season.

Many undervaled Timmons due to him not being as explosive as he used to be. Timmons was covering WRs on crossing routes which is impossible to do. Steelers also moved him around too much presnap and then would send him in a direction about 20 yards from where he was lined up. TJ Watt would be ideal next to Shazier. Situationally play him everywhere as a rookie. He is almost as big as Donta Hightower and is as fast as Timmons was coming out of college. Watt could be a presence in the middle of our defense. 

My eyes are on 4 MLBs that can thrive in our system as rookies next year: Shaun Dion Hamilton, Nick Deluca, Rashaan Evans, and Fred Warner. Warner will be a stud!!

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Many undervaled Timmons due to him not being as explosive as he used to be. Timmons was covering WRs on crossing routes which is impossible to do. Steelers also moved him around too much presnap and then would send him in a direction about 20 yards from where he was lined up. TJ Watt would be ideal next to Shazier. Situationally play him everywhere as a rookie. He is almost as big as Donta Hightower and is as fast as Timmons was coming out of college. Watt could be a presence in the middle of our defense. 

My eyes are on 4 MLBs that can thrive in our system as rookies next year: Shaun Dion Hamilton, Nick Deluca, Rashaan Evans, and Fred Warner. Warner will be a stud!!

I've been saying for a while that Watt would be a great fit at ILB next to Shazier.  I want Sam Hubbard opposite Dupree at OLB.  But that would probably require a tank job this season to have any chance of getting him.  Timmons was smart, but too slow to chase WRs.  They (coaches) always over-estimated his speed, and stamina, even as a young player though.  

5 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I've been saying for a while that Watt would be a great fit at ILB next to Shazier.  I want Sam Hubbard opposite Dupree at OLB.  But that would probably require a tank job this season to have any chance of getting him.  Timmons was smart, but too slow to chase WRs.  They (coaches) always over-estimated his speed, and stamina, even as a young player though.  

Even Shazier can't run with WRs. Hubbard huh? I'm going to have to watch him more.

31 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Even Shazier can't run with WRs. Hubbard huh? I'm going to have to watch him more.

Shazier can run with WRs.  A lot more than Timmons anyway.  

Hubbard is a huge ceiling guy and seems to play a bit like Watt did in this last game.  He presses his man, sets the edge, and is smart and disciplined, etc.  He could be the total package, but not a monster pass rusher.  He's not that quick twitch guy like a Von Miller, but to be honest I usually ignore those guys because I figure they'll be top 5 picks while the Steelers are typically drafting bottom 5 (in the round).  This is actually a pretty accurate write-up on him IMO.  https://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018shubbard.php

Edit:  If you watch the video on that website there, you won't think much of Hubbard.  He was hesitating way too much with that option and his assignments.  He looked a lot better in other games.  (On a sidenote, Steelers should've drafted Godwin instead of JuJu, and Barkley would be a good get if he's available and the current RBs aren't here or looking good next year).  

23 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I was really looking forward to seeing Adams this year.  His tape looks really good from a talent standpoint - thought he could push a guy like Moats off the roster.  Unfortunate that he hasn't been healthy to show what he can do.  Dupree should take another big step forward.  He showed a lot when he came back from IR last year.  If he can stay healthy for a whole season, he could make that leap to elite defender.  Golson, I'm afraid, is running out of sand in the hourglass.  He might have a career with another team, but I don't think it will be with the Steelers. 

I think Golson can be put on the PS.  He does need to show something.  I think Brian Allen and Keion Adams will both be put on the PS.

I hope they know that Gay is done and one of these guys is going to have to step up.  They will give Sutton a spot on the roster unless they can store him on IR.

Not giving any links, but someone is replaying the game on youtube live.  You can find it.

Watched part of the game again  Some additional thoughts:

Finney is a better run blocker than pass protector.  Think we all know that.

VW is clearly better against the run than the pass, but he made a nice play in coverage to prevent a first down in the red zone forcing a FG.

Rosie Nix is an old school bully -  big plays on both ST punt block/deflections - and some nice blocks on offense.

Like Ducre's physicality on ST & Defense.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy

Sensabaugh not afraid to stick his face in the fan

Connor made some rookie mistakes but I think he can be good behind this OL

Fort & Johnson look the part as backup ILBs.  Less worried about depth.

Trey Williams PR for a TD!  Now can he do that against starters?  

Looking forward to the "dress rehearsal" against Indy.  Happy Friday everyone!

Archived