NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

For those who like b o l. Can someone explain to me why bol bol would be considered a top 10 Prospect after having witnessed Thon maker struggle in the NBA. I mean is there really much difference in their physical tools and their skill sets? If I recall correctly lot of people. Don maker was the next big thing. His lack of physical strength and lower body stops him from being able to excel anywhere near the rim on a regular basis. That combined with his lack of perimeter defense perhaps. I just see bol bol as the same kind of player

I wouldn't necessarily say I like Bol... but I definitely consider him a top 10 prospect. While yes he is very similar to Thon in a physical sense, I don't think Thon struggled in the NBA simply because he wasn't a particularly a good fit, rather he just wasn't a very good basketball player. Just have to hope Bol understands the game and his own game better than Thon if you're picking him. I would say the odds are good considering Thon didn't start playing basketball until HS, he was a huge project all along, and it's looking like a failed project. Bol comes from NBA blood, he's been playing since he was young and a big name before he even entered HS. Got to imagine off that alone he already is much further along in his fundamentals than Thon was as an NBA prospect.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 3:47 PM, resilient part 2 said:

For those who like b o l. Can someone explain to me why bol bol would be considered a top 10 Prospect after having witnessed Thon maker struggle in the NBA. I mean is there really much difference in their physical tools and their skill sets? If I recall correctly lot of people. Don maker was the next big thing. His lack of physical strength and lower body stops him from being able to excel anywhere near the rim on a regular basis. That combined with his lack of perimeter defense perhaps. I just see bol bol as the same kind of player

Thon Maker's measurables - HT: 7'0.75" | WT: 215 | WS: 7'3" | SR: 9'2.5" 

Bol Bol measurables - HT: 7'3" | WT: 220 | WS: 7'8" | SR: 9'8" 

We never saw Thon Maker at the collegiate level and the "mystery" surrounding his game was one of the reasons he went so high in the draft. Through his first 4 college games, Bol Bol is averaging 18.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, and 4.0 bpg on 52% FG. Per 40 he's averaging 15 rebounds and 6 blocks per game on the year. Obviously, there are some questions about his durability long-term but he has looked good this year while flashing the potential to be special. You don't see guys with his size, length, athleticism, and fluidity very often. His physical profile is almost identical to Rudy Gobert's when he was at the combine. Gobert was 18 pounds heavier but he was also 2 years older than Bol Bol will be at the time of the combine so he definitely has time to fill out. 

A lot of Thon Maker's hype was because he was seen as a really skilled player for his size but his measurable's, while solid, weren't anything out of this world. You get near 7 footers with his length in every class. Bol Bol has the potential to be among the elite of the elite in terms of his defensive impact at the next level. Even as a young and raw player,he is absolutely dominating at Oregon on the defensive end. If he reaches his ceiling he's Rudy Gobert with a nice offensive game, hell you could even say with some Kristapas Porzingis traits offensively. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Thon Maker's measurables - HT: 7'0.75" | WT: 215 | WS: 7'3" | SR: 9'2.5" 

Bol Bol measurables - HT: 7'3" | WT: 220 | WS: 7'8" | SR: 9'8" 

We never saw Thon Maker at the collegiate level and the "mystery" surrounding his game was one of the reasons he went so high in the draft. Through his first 4 college games, Bol Bol is averaging 18.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, and 4.0 bpg on 52% FG. Per 40 he's averaging 15 rebounds and 6 blocks per game on the year. Obviously, there are some questions about his durability long-term but he has looked good this year while flashing the potential to be special. You don't see guys with his size, length, athleticism, and fluidity very often. His physical profile is almost identical to Rudy Gobert's when he was at the combine. Gobert was 18 pounds heavier but he was also 2 years older than Bol Bol will be at the time of the combine so he definitely has time to fill out. 

A lot of Thon Maker's hype was because he was seen as a really skilled player for his size but his measurable's, while solid, weren't anything out of this world. You get near 7 footers with his length in every class. Bol Bol has the potential to be among the elite of the elite in terms of his defensive impact at the next level. Even as a young and raw player,he is absolutely dominating at Oregon on the defensive end. If he reaches his ceiling he's Rudy Gobert with a nice offensive game, hell you could even say with some Kristapas Porzingis traits offensively. 

good points. but will look Back in a year or 2.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:26 AM, YogiBiz said:

Right now, who is the best prospect outside of Duke? Reid, Bol, Morant, or someone else?

Two points, first point I am guessing it would be a first if all three Duke players went 1-2-3 in a draft, all from the same school. The second point in reference to your question is I don't know if anyone has emerged as the next best prospects but I'm curious to see how his college season comes to fruition. Hopefully we can all update this thread as the year goes along

Edited by resilient part 2

On 11/15/2018 at 3:28 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not counting Frenchie who I haven't looked at, I am inclined to say it's Langford. Reid's gotta be close.

Langford has looked solid but one thing I've noticed is that he has trouble beating defenders off the dribble and getting all the way to the rim. Almost all of his finishes against Marquette were off balance floaters because he didn't have the first step to get past his man. He has also shot very poorly from 3. 

2 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Thon also went to HS for like 9 years and was a 26 year old no one ever saw play a game and avoided college to prepare for the draft. 

Thon's handlers made sure he avoided college like the plague. The same thing happened with Dante Exum a few years back, no reason to go to college for a year, get exposed, and tank your draft stock. Being an unknown can actually lead to an increase in perceived value.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:26 AM, YogiBiz said:

Right now, who is the best prospect outside of Duke? Reid, Bol, Morant, or someone else?

If he even gets a consistent 3 ball, I'm starting to believe it's Ja Morant. He shoots so well from everywhere else on the floor, so I can't understand why he's such a poor 3 pt shooter. Then again, it's a ~100 shot sample size too so who really knows. 

Trae Young = Top 5 pick
Markus Howard = Not even projected in the 1st round

Makes ZERO sense to me considering Howard is a superior player. Yes, I am aware that Howard is listed at 5'11" and he's more of a shoot first PG type than a creator. Still, I'll take the guy that can create his own shot and shoot it at high volume and high efficiency over the chucker who has flashy handles. They both can't guard a soul so the size difference doesn't really matter. Howard can get his shot off on anyone and is going to be a massive steal when ever he goes pro. He's a Junior but he's not even 20 years old yet.

Edited by beekay414