THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm confused on how Dorsey leaking a rumor helps find a mole in the camp. How does this work. Like he only tells 1 person in-house and if it comes out in the media he knows who ran and told? If that's the case he would have to go through a helluva lot of fake rumors 1 by 1 to each person on staff until something he said gets reported.

It's more if he had 1-2 people he suspected. But yes, it would be leaking a ridiculous story to whoever he suspected, but a different story to each person.

Here's why I think we all should have a good bit amount of faith in Dorsey's ability to get the right coach.

I am going to say right out front that this is not a chance to fling tomatoes at the Haslam's for the conditions that they hamstrung Dorsey with when he was hired. They were what they were, and Dorsey did agree to them. That said - let's not rehash the past and move forward.

Rumors and opinions are like people's backsides - everyone has one. I had heard that, as many have guessed here on the site, that Dorsey had a list of preferred head coaching candidates the instant he walked into the building on Lou Groza Blvd. Supposedly, the name on the top of that list was - then Chiefs OC, now Bears HC Matt Nagy.

Matt's record through 10 games with the Bears - 7-3.

According to Sportscenter this am, the only other Bears coach with that record through his first ten games?

Papa Bear himself - the one the street is named for at the Hall of Fame - George Halas.

So, with Dumb and Dumber removed from the picture - I am fully confident we will find the right coach.

23 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Here's why I think we all should have a good bit amount of faith in Dorsey's ability to get the right coach.

I am going to say right out front that this is not a chance to fling tomatoes at the Haslam's for the conditions that they hamstrung Dorsey with when he was hired. They were what they were, and Dorsey did agree to them. That said - let's not rehash the past and move forward.

Rumors and opinions are like people's backsides - everyone has one. I had heard that, as many have guessed here on the site, that Dorsey had a list of preferred head coaching candidates the instant he walked into the building on Lou Groza Blvd. Supposedly, the name on the top of that list was - then Chiefs OC, now Bears HC Matt Nagy.

Matt's record through 10 games with the Bears - 7-3.

According to Sportscenter this am, the only other Bears coach with that record through his first ten games?

Papa Bear himself - the one the street is named for at the Hall of Fame - George Halas.

So, with Dumb and Dumber removed from the picture - I am fully confident we will find the right coach.

There's no guarantee Matt Nagy would come here though. Bears have more talented team than the Browns currently do. Most likely still take the Bears job as Bears also bring more stability and not to be mean, Chicago is better city to live in than Cleveland. Although he's HC so that probably won't mean much him to him than to a player. Overall though, Bears looked more appealing 

1 hour ago, Activated10 said:

Does Matt Campbell call his plays at Iowa St, if he doesn't then I don't want him anywhere near the Cleveland Browns

Creative Offensive Coaches Only,

Browns need COCO

Pretty sure Campbell is the playcaller. He said in an interview before the season that he wants the QBs to develop into potential playcallers as well. He wants them to feel comfortable calling plays at the line. 

I would like that aspect for Baker

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Pretty sure Campbell is the playcaller. He said in an interview before the season that he wants the QBs to develop into potential playcallers as well. He wants them to feel comfortable calling plays at the line. 

I would like that aspect for Baker

Excellent, that's a forward thinking coach I like.

2 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

Excellent, that's a forward thinking coach I like.

I also believe the HC doesn’t have to call the plays tho. Just that it’s his scheme. I don’t know if Campbell has always called the plays but he has had some darn good offensive teams as a HC. 

I like his background as an OL guy and I believe he works a lot with the offensive line. I like the playcaller being the guy who works with the QBs the most, so they can be on the same wave length. Kinda like how Urban has done it. He has always had his scheme and concepts but have had other guys run and call plays. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I also believe the HC doesn’t have to call the plays tho. Just that it’s his scheme. I don’t know if Campbell has always called the plays but he has had some darn good offensive teams as a HC. 

I like his background as an OL guy and I believe he works a lot with the offensive line. I like the playcaller being the guy who works with the QBs the most, so they can be on the same wave length. Kinda like how Urban has done it. He has always had his scheme and concepts but have had other guys run and call plays. 

Has he developed any decent OLinemen in NFL or at least be drafted in first few rounds

37 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

Has he developed any decent OLinemen in NFL or at least be drafted in first few rounds

I don’t think so, I don’t remember if Toledo or Iowa St had produced any NFL talent under him. Just gets that unit to perform extremely well so the offense guys. The unit has produced a top tier RB prospect tho. 

I think the center for the Texans was under Campbell at Toledo. He has produced 2 NFL RBs. A back up for the Titans and Hunt for KC. He will produce two more top prospects with Butler and Montgomery 

so the dude knows how to use a talented back. It be great to see what he could do with a talent like Baker as his QB and a back like Chubb

The Browns' new HC needs to be innovative, or at least open to innovative ideas. The Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Bears, Eagles, and Colts all are demonstrating how offense needs to be played in this era. Heavy passing games, lots of pre-snap movement, plenty of two tight-end sets, RBs in the passing game and WRs in the running game, etc. Moreover, that type of offense fits Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, and Duke Johnson to a tee.

So if whoever we hire as coach is open to that style of offense, a defense that prioritizes pass rush and forcing turnovers, and playcalling that accepts going for it on 4th and short is the smart move, etc. Whether that be Gregg, one of the college guys, or whoever, I am good with it. Additionally, given our talent, I hope we'd keep the 4-3 scheme.

Mike McCarthy  is certainly not that coach. He is a dinosaur stuck in traditional NFL playcalling. He would not take this team to the next level whatsoever. 

Archived