THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

26 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the 3-4 is the out of date. You need fast lbs not thumpers. You need pass rushers who can stop the run, not space eaters. 

4-3 for life.

2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos were the last 2 elite defenses and they used 3-4, so its here to stay

1 hour ago, Activated10 said:

2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos were the last 2 elite defenses and they used 3-4, so its here to stay

The 2015 Broncos ran the Wade Phillips 3-4, which is a one gap penetration scheme, unlike most 3-4 D's. The 2013 Seahawks didn't run a 3-4, they ran a 4-3 under scheme, also predicated on penetration from select positions. It's the defense Pete Carroll is famous for. 

The future defense, something that is currently blowing up in the college ranks and is ran by Matt Campbell among many, is what they call a 3-3.

Basically, three down linemen, one legit LB, 2 LB/safety hybrids, 5 straight up Dbs. It's the only defense that puts the athleticism and speed on the field to defend these nightmare spread attacks.

The philosophy is: very little zone, mostly man to man matching up with your personnel gameplanned for their best matchups from week to week. Blitzes are regularly mixed in, but the advantage is that it's much more difficult for the QB to figure out who the Blitzer will be, if anyone.

Supreme speed and flexibility is the only way to take on the Oklahoma's and the Kansas cities of the world.

35 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

The 2015 Broncos ran the Wade Phillips 3-4, which is a one gap penetration scheme, unlike most 3-4 D's. The 2013 Seahawks didn't run a 3-4, they ran a 4-3 under scheme, also predicated on penetration from select positions. It's the defense Pete Carroll is famous for. 

The future defense, something that is currently blowing up in the college ranks and is ran by Matt Campbell among many, is what they call a 3-3.

Basically, three down linemen, one legit LB, 2 LB/safety hybrids, 5 straight up Dbs. It's the only defense that puts the athleticism and speed on the field to defend these nightmare spread attacks.

The philosophy is: very little zone, mostly man to man matching up with your personnel gameplanned for their best matchups from week to week. Blitzes are regularly mixed in, but the advantage is that it's much more difficult for the QB to figure out who the Blitzer will be, if anyone.

Supreme speed and flexibility is the only way to take on the Oklahoma's and the Kansas cities of the world.

I dont know why I thought Seahawks ran 34 defense. You are completely right on this one and also good analysis on different defensive schemes. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the 3-4 is the out of date. You need fast lbs not thumpers. You need pass rushers who can stop the run, not space eaters. 

4-3 for life.

Absolutely, 3-4 works amazingly well if you can fill every position in the front seven perfectly, along with having a Viper and ball-hawk as safeties. The problem is, it so fit-dependent that it does not work for most players.

Also, while a few 3-4 teams use it, the 3-technique is one of the most important positions in the modern NFL, and it fits much better in a 4-3.

ETA: I do think a 3-3 is probably the best way to defend teams like the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs. Really, though, the 3-3 functions more similarly to a 4-3 then a 3-4. The only problem with the 3-3 is that man-to-man coverage being run 70%+ of games is exhausting, especially against NFL teams. I cannot envision our team being able to run the 3-3 effectively for a few years. You need a ton of depth.

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

4-3 for life.

I think your idea of what is a 34 defense is what is really out of date.

There are multiple ways to run any defense especially true with a 34. The days of a 2 gap space eating 34 defense have been long gone in the NFL for awhile now. No one who runs a 34 runs a 2 gap system anymore.

I personally would marry the 3-3 and the 4-3 into something that might be best described as a 4-1. Four down linemen whose primary skill would be pass rush, 1 LB who patrols a middle zone, some man to man, blitzes, and focuses on the interior run, basically Schobert, 2 strong safety types who cover well, but are also heat seeking missiles against the run, and 3 CB's and a FS covering the back end who can also play some man to man. Defenders will have to swarm ball carriers with the decrease in size.

This defense will be susceptible to the run, but better than only 3 down linemen. The point anymore is slowing down offenses, forcing FG's, matchups and speed. The pass rush can make or break you, but that's true with any defense these days. 

In today's NFL, especially with the new rules these last few years, the winning recipe is score 30+ and hold your opponent to 28 or below. Used to be, if you scored over 20, and you lost, your defense failed you. Now that number is 30. 

Archived