You Hear It First: Hip Hop & R&B

pwny

9 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Logically, lets think about this.

I will admit to lean Kendrick on this overall, but do we really think Drake is some sort of criminal mastermind? They both need some semblance of proofs for some of their claims here. If I decide to negate the fake daughter, the "allegations", and the domestic abuse because nothing substantiates it (and this is a rap beef, so lying is the game), based on content, I would still lean Kendrick. I'd say Drake has had the 2nd or 3rd best track in this back forth, but the top 4 to me are all Kendrick minus that one spot.

Problem is you can't just "negate" the fake daughter. It's either a point in Kendrick's favor, or it makes him look horrible that he wrote an entire verse on a subject that doesn't exist. Even if it wasn't a set up like Drake claims and Kendrick just got bad info, we can't put as much stock into anything else he says until he addresses it. That goes for the domestic abuse subject too. Until he addresses it, we only have one side talking about it. 

I thought Drake was honestly one shot away from being finished after MTG and NLU but he flipped the pressure back on Kendrick to put up some sort of evidence, and if he doesn't, nothing he says moving forward holds and weight. His next response is probably the most important one that'll come out of this beef. If he nails it and addresses the stuff Drake said, Drake's probably down for the count. If he avoids the subjects altogether, he's going to look really bad. 

6 hours ago, JonStark said:

I thought Drake was honestly one shot away from being finished after MTG and NLU but he flipped the pressure back on Kendrick to put up some sort of evidence, and if he doesn't, nothing he says moving forward holds and weight. His next response is probably the most important one that'll come out of this beef. If he nails it and addresses the stuff Drake said, Drake's probably down for the count. If he avoids the subjects altogether, he's going to look really bad. 

There’s no pressure. This is a rap beef not charges brought by the State’s Attorney lol. 

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

There’s no pressure. This is a rap beef not charges brought by the State’s Attorney lol. 

There is absolutely pressure on him in the court of public opinion, which is what determines the winner of these things. 

11 minutes ago, JonStark said:

There is absolutely pressure on him in the court of public opinion, which is what determines the winner of these things. 

I get where you’re coming from and agree to an extent. While some outrageous things have been said in past beefs, this one went really dark. Where I digress is about the court of public opinion.  This same public who aren’t bothered by rappers rapping over the vocal tracks at live shows, or even worse, don’t care about lyrics whatsoever eschewing them for “vibes” lol.

You can say it’s the old hip hop head in me but I don’t believe today’s generation cares about the intricacies of hip hop battles.  They’re just in it for the spectacle.

At the end of the day, Drake is a pop star. Kendrick is an MC.  Period. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I get where you’re coming from and agree to an extent. While some outrageous things have been said in past beefs, this one went really dark. Where I digress is about the court of public opinion.  This same public who aren’t bothered by rappers rapping over the vocal tracks at live shows, or even worse, don’t care about lyrics whatsoever eschewing them for “vibes” lol.

You can say it’s the old hip hop head in me but I don’t believe today’s generation cares about the intricacies of hip hop battles.  They’re just in it for the spectacle.

At the end of the day, Drake is a pop star. Kendrick is an MC.  Period. 

Yeah I agree with that for the most part, although I think there's a good portion of new age hip hop heads that care too. I don't think you can put all of today's generation in one box, and even the ones looking strictly for a rap battle still have to admit that getting baited into writing a verse on a fake daughter is pretty embarrassing.

This battle was never about who the better lyricist is. That was common knowledge already. 

Ive been getting caught up in the beef with Kendrick and Drake. Ive been listening to the songs and it all started from "Control" in which I dont think it was bad what Kendrick said. He just is a competitor and want to be the best. Its just Drake got in his feelings too much and decided to go after Kendrick. J Cole took a shot at Kendrick but quickly backed down bc he was smart. Drake kept going and is finding out what happens when you mess with someone like Kendrick. 

And this is coming from a guy who listens to more Drake songs than Kendrick songs. I like Kendrick but I would say Im more a Drake fan just due to me being into his music more. I do respect Kendrick though and I think Drake comes across as weird. So if I wasnt into his music I really wouldnt be into him. Kendrick is someone I can be into if you took away his music. And thats saying something but I do think Kendrick is a beast when it comes to music. So yeah Drake need to man down but I will say its too late now. He has to prove that he isnt a pedo. Yes Kendrick has to prove he isnt a woman beater but there doesnt seem to be much to stand on from Drake claims as oppose to Kendrick claims. 

All I know is its interesting and Im caught up and following now. I think most people in the industry is with Kendrick bc alot of people from what I hear just dont like Drake. They put up with him bc he is talented but as a person they just think he is weird and dont like him. 

22 hours ago, JonStark said:

Even without a child, the widespread opinion is that Kendrick won this.

13 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Even without a child, the widespread opinion is that Kendrick won this.

Yeah I think he still edges it out, but getting baited in like that makes it a lot closer. I'm surprised to see the consensus is that overwhelming though. 

I think he still drops another one (maybe one to wrap it all up) because he does need to address some things. I thought I saw Akademiks say there was another release scheduled for the other day but the shooting delayed it (although if he said it, it make have been from Drake). 

That being said, I don't think anyone won this one. If anything, J. Cole comes out looking the best. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Yeah I think he still edges it out, but getting baited in like that makes it a lot closer. I'm surprised to see the consensus is that overwhelming though. 

I think he still drops another one (maybe one to wrap it all up) because he does need to address some things. I thought I saw Akademiks say there was another release scheduled for the other day but the shooting delayed it (although if he said it, it make have been from Drake). 

That being said, I don't think anyone won this one. If anything, J. Cole comes out looking the best. 

Akademiks is doing it for clicks. He's gotten tons off this.'

But again as it pertains to the baiting, what makes us so sure Drake was that much of a mastermind? If he was that confident in it, he could've gotten out ahead of it and honestly stopped Meet the Grahams from even happening,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Akademiks is doing it for clicks. He's gotten tons off this.'

But again as it pertains to the baiting, what makes us so sure Drake was that much of a mastermind? If he was that confident in it, he could've gotten out ahead of it and honestly stopped Meet the Grahams from even happening,

Yeah I mean if Drake did bait him in, I feel like he'd have messages or something to release from the planning of it all, so right now neither side really has any proof. Still a possibility though that Kendrick got bad info and wrote an entire verse on a fake person, and Drake is just taking credit for it. 

At this point though, it's all drama. There may/may not be another kid. Kendrick may beat his wife. Drake may be into so sketchy stuff (with a lot of evidence outside of this supporting that). Song wise, I think Kendrick takes it but no one is coming out of this a winner except Cole. He knew this wasn't going to be a bar for bar battle and got out before it became messy. 

This rap beef was cool until there was a shooting or a threat of a shooting and places started getting vandalized. Now i could care less about it and now we know why we probably dont see much of this anymore.