Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Earl Thomas would be a fantastic land for this secondary. The reason the middle finger thing happened is that he spent all offseason wanting an extension and didn't get it - then he came back from his holdout, balled out, and got injured. He felt scorned by management and that was how he took it out.

But all in all Earl Thomas is still Earl Thomas, but I don't think we would be able to convince him to come here. He wants to play for the Cowboys.

Just did a little research. Checked out Dallas' home and away schedule next year. They don't play Seattle. 

We play Seattle IN Seattle next year. Whether that means anything at all remains to be seen. Could be a bit of a bargaining chip though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Just did a little research. Checked out Dallas' home and away schedule next year. They don't play Seattle. 

We play Seattle IN Seattle next year. Whether that means anything at all remains to be seen. Could be a bit of a bargaining chip though. 

Now that is definitely an x-factor here. From everything I've gathered, I have zero doubt that Earl would love to "stick it" to the Seahawks next year. Definitely a bargaining chip.

stop the bleeding. ffs.

The Green Bay Packers are expected to hire a respected personnel executive with ties to Wisconsin to be Brian Gutekunst’s right-hand man in the front office.
According to long-time beat reporter Bob McGinn, the Packers are set to hire Baltimore Ravens national scout Milt Hendrickson, a friend of Gutekunst’s, to a top job in the front office.
[...]
According to the Baltimore Sun, Hendrickson’s focus with the Ravens as a regional scout was scouting offensive linemen, and he was central in the team’s decision to draft  Pro Bowl guard Kelechi Osemele.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/14/packers-expected-to-hire-ravens-national-scout-milt-hendrickson/

27 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Eh. The team has had plenty of misses to go with the hits in terms of offensive line drafting.

A small percentage of mid-late round picks end up as passable starters and we've had a good number, and I don't remember many high drafted busts (which should also be expected to happen at a decent percentage). I definitely think it's one of (if not our top) spot in terms of expected return vs actual on picks.

Edit: looked at our draft history, we actually have spent a surprisingly low number of high draft picks on offensive lineman. I think that speaks to how much we are exceeding expected return on day 3 of the draft.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Eh. The team has had plenty of misses to go with the hits in terms of offensive line drafting.

Not how I would characterise our OL drafting considering the draft capital spent. 

Look at our draft history here. From 2008-2018, there have been 16 OL drafted, and only 5 I'd say were definitely not worth their draft slot (Gino Gradkowski, Jah Reid, Ramon Harewood, Robert Myers and Nico Siragusa (although the last one was purely because of a serious injury)), 3 that have definitely over-produced (KO, Ricky Wagner, Ryan Jensen (who was a 6th round pick)), and another 3 or 4 that would be about as expected for where they were drafted.

Given the typical hit rate for 4th, 5th and 6th round picks (which is where the majority of OL have been drafted by the Ravens in the last 10 years), I'd say that is a very good return

• Like 1

I’m not concerned. Before that mentioned time period we were finding quality OL players with guys like Mike Flynn, Ben Grubbs, Edwin Mulitalo, Jonathan Ogden, etc. Point is this organization has always had an organizational strength with finding these positions which likely means they’ve done a great job of teaching what they’re looking for with these positions which means there’s a strong likelihood that moving forward we will continue to excel in drafting the OL position. I’ll need to see an inability to draft well there before I believe it. 

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Breshad never received any criticism on his work ethic or person when he was here. It rather seems those traits was what made the coaching staff keep him around that long. Now he has gone to the Browns and became that complimentary piece he always should have been. I hope he makes it there (and of course it isn't against us).