Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Darth, I'm with you man but Elam and Correa were just trash picks. I don't think Pees did them any favors but they just shouldn't have been with our team to begin with. The jury is still out on Wormley and Kaufusi, but the trial is boring af. 

@DreamKid At the time we picked up Correa, we needed OLB depth badly. I don't think the pick itself was bad, I think the plan that was executed was bad. We'll likely never know what Correa could've offered at OLB, but he was drafted as a pass rusher as had a 2nd round grade consistently. It's just a shame we took him and moved him to an entirely different position and when that failed, instead of moving him back, we're just kind of saying "oh well" and letting his career die.

Elam was a trash pick, looking back at it, but he still flashed a little bit when he was actually put into his natural position for us.

All I'm saying is that these guys were not even remotely given the best chance to succeed in our team. That's all. I hope that changes with a new coordinator, but I haven't heard anything Martindale has said so far that would indicate we're going to do anything like that. Maybe the draft strategy changes and there's more communication between Ozzie and the coaches. Who knows.

• Like 1

The LB coach, DC and Harbaugh all signed off on moving Correa from OLB to ILB in training camp. The best guess for the reasoning behind that is they figured he couldn't play at OLB in an NFL defense. They didn't move him to ILB for ****s & giggles. They clearly noticed that he couldn't play OLB in the NFL.

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Jernigan. if you follow the mindset of some guys here he was probably just bad, yet the Eagles instantly gave him an extension.

god forbid you adapt your scheme to the strength of your guys, heck who needs interior pass rush anyway, go run-stuffing all day!

Half the reason we traded Jernigan was because we weren't going to be able to afford that extension.

18 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

The LB coach, DC and Harbaugh all signed off on moving Correa from OLB to ILB in training camp. The best guess for the reasoning behind that is they figured he couldn't play at OLB in an NFL defense. They didn't move him to ILB for ****s & giggles. They clearly noticed that he couldn't play OLB in the NFL.

They noticed this after picking him in the 2nd round and then after, like, a month of OTA's? Highly doubtful. https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/5/27/11794272/baltimore-ravens-are-moving-kamalei-correa-to-inside-linebacker

Better yet, if they were able to discover this is one month of OTA's, why have they left him at ILB for over a year when everyone else has discovered he can't play there?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

They noticed this after picking him in the 2nd round and then after, like, a month of OTA's? Highly doubtful. https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/5/27/11794272/baltimore-ravens-are-moving-kamalei-correa-to-inside-linebacker

Better yet, if they were able to discover this is one month of OTA's, why have they left him at ILB for over a year when everyone else has discovered he can't play there?

This literally had me laugh out loud.

I mean this would be lik Albert Einstein solving the theory of relativity in minutes but then taking days to figure out 2+2=4. ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Correa is a project player, everyone knew that when we drafted him. He was raw, didn't have any tools, usually won on straight line athleticism. We put the project at one spot, didn't see it through and then moved him to a different spot. Then we drafted two more players at his old spot(Williams, Bowser), essentially preventing his return to his old position and forcing him to either develop at a more foreign position or wait to be cut. Not the best strategy. They know what they did and with no return possible to OLB, they tried to force him at ILB in hopes they didn't just waste a 2nd round pick.

That's how the defense has been lately though. Unless a young player flashes out of the building and consistently, they get little to no shot. Willie Henry was almost cut, how long did it take for Marlon to start getting real reps, why were Bowser and Williams not utilized more, it goes on and on.

17 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Maybe Bowser and Williams just weren’t good enough to get on the field. I would assume that’s the case. Humphrey got on the field. Judon, Pierce, and Young did last year. They shouldn’t get on the field until they earn it 

How are rookies going to earn the right to cut into Suggs snap count? Or an ascending 2nd year player's in Judon? They weren't strong against the run and thus they lost out to Smith often times in relief duties as he is a decent edge setter. What rookies don't have deficiencies though? It's on the coaches to get them involved.

P5tSjf8.png

These are PFF's final grades for our edge guys, you don't have to believe in their grading system but they are good at tracking how players were utilized. It doesn't take a genius to see there are some issues present. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Correa is a project player, everyone knew that when we drafted him. He was raw, didn't have any tools, usually won on straight line athleticism. We put the project at one spot, didn't see it through and then moved him to a different spot. Then we drafted two more players at his old spot(Williams, Bowser), essentially preventing his return to his old position and forcing him to either develop at a more foreign position or wait to be cut. Not the best strategy. They know what they did and with no return possible to OLB, they tried to force him at ILB in hopes they didn't just waste a 2nd round pick.

That's how the defense has been lately though. Unless a young player flashes out of the building and consistently, they get little to no shot. Willie Henry was almost cut, how long did it take for Marlon to start getting real reps, why were Bowser and Williams not utilized more, it goes on and on.

You really don't draft project players in the 2nd round, tbh. And like I said, if they were willing to give up on him AFTER ONE MONTH of OTA's at his natural position and stick with him at ILB for over a year when he's clearly a bust, that's some horrible coaching.

5 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Maybe Bowser and Williams just weren’t good enough to get on the field. I would assume that’s the case. Humphrey got on the field. Judon, Pierce, and Young did last year. They shouldn’t get on the field until they earn it 

Williams, maybe. But every single time Bowser got significant snaps, he produced. Humphrey barely got on the field, and only did so because of Jimmy's achilles injury. Bowser absolutely earned being on the field over ZaDarius Smith.

12 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

You really don't draft project players in the 2nd round, tbh. And like I said, if they were willing to give up on him AFTER ONE MONTH of OTA's at his natural position and stick with him at ILB for over a year when he's clearly a bust, that's some horrible coaching.

Ideally you don't draft project players in the 2nd, but some players are small projects and others big. You hope whomever you draft has near completed their development technically and simply matures their game with age when you're investing that high of a pick. You can't always get that lucky though and sometimes to get a better projected player you must accept their unrefined qualities and then fall back on your own ability to get that projected form out of them through development and coaching. This concept defines most of the draft and the success surrounding it usually determines who the best franchises are.

Correa wasn't as big of a project as Perriman(who is?) but he was a medium sized project and if the team wasn't interested in seeing it through they shouldn't have drafted him to begin with. In that light it's more of a bad pick then coaching. You made a good point earlier about the disconnect and lack of communication with some of our draft picks, because I'm sure he wasn't drafted to be a developmental ILB and yet as you point out one month in that's what we were looking at. I think they would characterize it as "Tending to a need with an athletic profile" rather than "Removing a player from his likely correct position and stunting his development there". Then Orr emerged and I'm sure we would've seen Correa back at OLB had we not drafted two more OLBs in Bowser and Williams the following year along with Orr's career ending. We had a hole at ILB a surplus at OLB(all with better farther along players than he) and he had some level of experience/reps at the position and boom we're staring at Correa playing ILB and the team looking at a possible burned pick.

Judon's emergence also hurt the Correa pick, we needed another edge presence from that draft class and Judon ended up being it. Then with our BPA model the Bowser pick became a no brainer, I still can't believe we got him in the 2nd. People forget Tyus's production was misleading given how often he was asked to drop into coverage. If he had been allowed to rush the passer more often at Houston his pass rushing totals would've skyrocketed and that coupled with his beastly athletic profile could've made him a top 10 pick. Then immediately after BPA dealt us Wormley who has done nothing so our huge get with Bowser was equaled out in the cosmos quickly.

It's disturbing we didn't get new blood at the DC position, especially when looking at possibly getting another defensive BPA with our 1st round pick.