Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Legit don't understand how the Chiefs can franchise tag a LT in Orlando Brown while already paying guys like Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Chris Jones, Joe Thuney, Frank Clark, etc. all top dollar deals at their positions while we seem to be scraping for cash every offseason. We're always cash strapped and we don't have an inordinate amount of elite players we're paying...at least compared to the rest of the league. 

May be time to start looking at how we're approaching some of these deals cap-wise & how Moriarty structures these things because I'm not sure a team who's top 10 cap hits include players like Tavon Young/Nick Boyle/Justin Tucker should be as limited on cap as we always seem to be.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Legit don't understand how the Chiefs can franchise tag a LT in Orlando Brown while already paying guys like Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Chris Jones, Joe Thuney, Frank Clark, etc. all top dollar deals at their positions while we seem to be scraping for cash every offseason. We're always cash strapped and we don't have an inordinate amount of elite players we're paying...at least compared to the rest of the league. 

May be time to start looking at how we're approaching some of these deals cap-wise & how Moriarty structures these things because I'm not sure a team who's top 10 cap hits include players like Tavon Young/Nick Boyle/Justin Tucker should be as limited on cap as we always seem to be.

I completely agree with you. Teams like the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs just don't recognize that a salary cap exists. Meanwhile, we scrape the bottom of the barrel every single year despite not having a single player on some massive deal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I completely agree with you. Teams like the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs just don't recognize that a salary cap exists. Meanwhile, we scrape the bottom of the barrel every single year despite not having a single player on some massive deal.

Like I know the capologists are going to explain exactly how it makes sense that we don't have $ and everything is accounted for but like...Patrick Mahomes has a $35 mil cap hit this year and they're still paying top market money to a Pass Rusher, DL, LT, WR, TE, and LG lol. Dallas has been ridiculously overzealous with their contracts and they still have enough to be paying top money to half their offense and some pieces on the defense. I just don't get it. Something in the way we're/other teams are structuring these deals. And I don't want to hear a ton about "oh they'll have to pay the bill eventually down the line" because people have said that for years about teams like the Rams and year after year they just simply restructure contracts and they're back in good cap position. 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Like I know the capologists are going to explain exactly how it makes sense that we don't have $ and everything is accounted for but like...Patrick Mahomes has a $35 mil cap hit this year and they're still paying top market money to a Pass Rusher, DL, LT, WR, TE, and LG lol. Dallas has been ridiculously overzealous with their contracts and they still have enough to be paying top money to half their offense and some pieces on the defense. I just don't get it. Something in the way we're/other teams are structuring these deals. And I don't want to hear a ton about "oh they'll have to pay the bill eventually down the line" because people have said that for years about teams like the Rams and year after year they just simply restructure contracts and they're back in good cap position. 

These teams find ways to just keep kicking the can down the line for years and years. By the time it catches up to them their window has passed anyways and they've won or appeared in multiple Superbowls so who the hell cares?

But yeah I completely share your frustration on that point. Seems like every year we have to squeeze pennies to afford our CB3 while other teams just throw contracts at All-Pro players at multiple positions.

• Like 1

I'm just surprised the Chiefs would have to tag Orlando at all. I mean, he said it wasn't about the money or pursuing a max deal. He just wanted to play LT for the memory of his father remember, and for the Chiefs apparently(because that's where he begged our FO send him), so it's shocking that they weren't able to quickly work out a long term bargain deal.............

Remember folks, in no way is OBJ a 'good guy' or typical Ravens price out player like a Matt Judon or ZDS. We drafted and took a chance on this kid after his free fall in the draft. 2/3 Years he had a conditioning issue  during the season. Then instead of just saying he'd like to lock in a max deal(Which everyone would understand), he says it's not about the money at all and that he just wants to play LT. Which indisputably hurt his value for potential suitors, and took certain clubs out of the running. All up ahead of one of the strongest Tackle draft classes I might add. Then he and his agent go to our FO and beg to be traded to KC- one of our top rivals and competitors within the AFC. Our FO, having known Orlando since he was kid, accommodated all of this f*ckery out of his respect and love for his his family. 

Easily, one of the most hate worthy ex Ravens.

Beating the Chiefs during our down year was so enjoyable, and Odafe repeatedly whipping that pig was the cherry on top. 😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

at least 1 lol

my god i hate this trade for seattle

I was just searching up Ravens draft stuff on twitter and saw that, thought you'd appreciate it lol. Really is random. Don't quite understand why he settled on Huntley but good on him for thinking outside the box... I guess.

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I was just searching up Ravens draft stuff on twitter and saw that, thought you'd appreciate it lol. Really is random. Don't quite understand why he settled on Huntley but good on him for thinking outside the box... I guess.

Huntley doesn't make much more sense than someone like Jimmy G or even Malik Willis, but heck if some team overpays for him who am I to judge?!

46 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

He really does fit what they do. Let's all hope real hard haha. 

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

at least 1 lol

my god i hate this trade for seattle

You must be forgetting how the Ravens team/offense without a literal MVP in Lamar Jackson "looked better" with Huntley taking over even though they lost every game.

The Seahawks should consider themselves lucky if he only costs a few first round picks.

Edited by wackywabbit

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You must be forgetting how the Ravens team/offense without a literal MVP in Lamar Jackson "looked better" with Huntley taking over even though they lost every game.

The Seahawks should consider themselves lucky if he only costs a few first round picks.

As much as Huntley's turnover issues and late game issues plagued him, I do sometimes wonder how the narrative surrounding him would be different if we won even 2 or those 5 or so games that we lost on the last play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

😂 Last season really was a sh*t show.

Last 2 months of the season:

“Alright guys, we have offensive linemen who can’t block, linebackers who can’t tackle and defensive backs who can’t cover. Let’s lace em up”

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1