Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Interesting impact of the Russell Wilson deal - Denver is one of our unique opponents relative to AFCN (due to finishing 4th in their division). One would assume in a vacuum that this move makes that particular game more difficult

6 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Interesting impact of the Russell Wilson deal - Denver is one of our unique opponents relative to AFCN (due to finishing 4th in their division). One would assume in a vacuum that this move makes that particular game more difficult

We will see what happens, honestly. I really don't fear Wilson that much. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

7 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Everything is relative. The Russell Wilson Broncos are some amount more concerning as an opponent than the Drew Lock Broncos for 2022.

My point wasn't that this is somehow a major impact on the Ravens or something we should be overly concerned about, just that it's a meaningful change in the roster construction of one of our unique opponents, which is material  of an impactful to the AFCN race than changes with out common opponents.

Edited by sp6488

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Wilson is the best QB in the NFL against the blitz/cover 0.

Now, if Wink was DC I would say we're going to get cooked, but it remains to be seen how our scheme is going to adjust. Wilson struggles the most against teams that can pressure with 4, particularly up the middle. Can we do that? Not with our current lineup, but we'll see what happens.

You’re telling me with our need at pass rusher and our plethora of picks this year we couldn’t have swung the Bears a 2nd and 4th for Mack?

This FO values day 2 draft picks too high.

And if it’s a cap issue that stopped our interest then we aren’t managing the cap well enough.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

You’re telling me with our need at pass rusher and our plethora of picks this year we couldn’t have swung the Bears a 2nd and 4th for Mack?

This FO values day 2 draft picks too high.

And if it’s a cap issue that stopped our interest then we aren’t managing the cap well enough.

Meh. Didn’t look up the numbers but I don’t think he’s been the player he once was. I know he’s been on a not great team but I don’t feel like he’ll regain his Raider dominance. Matched with that cap number I’d pass too.

6 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Meh. Didn’t look up the numbers but I don’t think he’s been the player he once was. I know he’s been on a not great team but I don’t feel like he’ll regain his Raider dominance. Matched with that cap number I’d pass too.

Thought I read something about the Bears eating $24mil but I could def be wrong I only saw it in passing on twitter.

And a guy with supreme talent like Mack is a guy I think you take a chance on getting “right” within your system/culture...sorta like OBJ from CLE -> LA or Honey Badger HOU -> KC. 

Plus it seems like we often times take guys who are coming off down years like that but at a much older age...Weddle and Campbell were coming off arguable career worst years and well into their 30s when we signed them.

Idk I feel like just once do the whole reclamation project thing with an upper echelon guy like other teams seem to do

Edited by Ray Reed

11 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Thought I read something about the Bears eating $24mil but I could def be wrong I only saw it in passing on twitter.

And a guy with supreme talent like Mack is a guy I think you take a chance on getting “right” within your system/culture...sorta like OBJ from CLE -> LA or Honey Badger HOU -> KC. 

Plus it seems like we often times take guys who are coming off down years like that but at a much older age...Weddle and Campbell were coming off arguable career worst years and well into their 30s when we signed them.

Idk I feel like just once do the whole reclamation project thing with an upper echelon guy like other teams seem to do

If he were maybe a free agent without the massive cap number, I would agree with you. We definitely have a history of signing veterans to reasonable contracts, then see those vets outplay the contracts. That was not the case here. But with a potentially looming Lamar contract, the draft capital becomes even more important. I’m interested to see how Lamar plays this season with what I would consider the best group of offensive weapons we have ever had. If he isn’t one of the best qbs in the league, regaining his mvp form, I could see us playing him on the tag for a year or even two and not crippling our cap space for the foreseeable future if he turns out to not be the guy.(and I’m hoping that he proves to be the guy)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

If he were maybe a free agent without the massive cap number, I would agree with you. We definitely have a history of signing veterans to reasonable contracts, then see those vets outplay the contracts. That was not the case here. But with a potentially looming Lamar contract, the draft capital becomes even more important. I’m interested to see how Lamar plays this season with what I would consider the best group of offensive weapons we have ever had. If he isn’t one of the best qbs in the league, regaining his mvp form, I could see us playing him on the tag for a year or even two and not crippling our cap space for the foreseeable future if he turns out to not be the guy.(and I’m hoping that he proves to be the guy)

Agreed on all accounts. As long as the FO upgrades this OL you can’t really ask for a much better supporting cast - top 2 TE, 2 very good RBs (hoping they come back from injury at least 80% of themselves this year), and 2 1st round picks at WR (i’ve lost my luster for Hollywood a bit but the talent is definitely there between he and Bateman).

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

https://overthecap.com/bears-and-chargers-discussing-trade-of-khalil-mack/

If the Chargers make this trade they would get Mack on the salary cap for $17.75M in 2022, $22.9M in 2023, and $23.25 million in 2024.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I can definitely see us in on one of the cap cuts. Bobby Wagner sticks out as he’s made a bunch of money. Though I could see a bynes or forte reunion. I’m not sure I see the fit with Landon Collins as it seems like he fits the roll that chick Clarke plays. I could see a fit with van noy as a tyus bowser light until he returns from his Achilles injury.