How did Vic Beasley get so bad?

Kiwibrown

I don't think he is "terrible" but there's no question his performance this season has been disappointing to say the least.  I will just note that his lone great season (2016) in which he had 15.5 sacks occurred when he had veteran Dwight Freeney around to kind of mentor him.  Now that they've just added another good veteran pass rusher in Bruce Irvin, hopefully Beasley will get some benefit from his experience and knowledge...

8 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

I don't think he is "terrible" but there's no question his performance this season has been disappointing to say the least.  I will just note that his lone great season (2016) in which he had 15.5 sacks occurred when he had veteran Dwight Freeney around to kind of mentor him.  Now that they've just added another good veteran pass rusher in Bruce Irvin, hopefully Beasley will get some benefit from his experience and knowledge...

Bruce Irvin isnt really a good pass rusher.   His sack numbers are pretty misleading.   He is reminiscent of Bud Dupree, which is why I didnt want him.     

Beasley is still fairly young, though.   The talent is there.   He could bounce back.

I dunno man, I trust Dan Quinn's talent evaluation especially of defensive players and he seems really excited to be reuniting with Irvin down in Atlanta.  Remember, he's not being brought in to be The Man on that DL, he's just supposed to help take some of the load off of Takk and Vic, both of whom have played a LOT of snaps so far this year.

1 minute ago, megatechpc said:

I dunno man, I trust Dan Quinn's talent evaluation especially of defensive players and he seems really excited to be reuniting with Irvin down in Atlanta.  Remember, he's not being brought in to be The Man on that DL, he's just supposed to help take some of the load off of Takk and Vic, both of whom have played a LOT of snaps so far this year.

Im not saying he wont be a decent addition.   Just saying that if youre expecting him to be a mentor in the same way Freeney was, you might be disappointed.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not saying he wont be a decent addition.   Just saying that if youre expecting him to be a mentor in the same way Freeney was, you might be disappointed.

Fair, Freeney wasn't just good, he was one of the greatest of all time.  I'm not expecting Irvin to be as great a mentor as Freeney was, but he could be a positive influence.  He'll also, at the very least, provide some relief for Takk and Vic in their rotations.

On his statistically good season (in terms of sacks), PFF noted that he had a very unusual rush-to-sack ratio.

a whopping 27% of Beasley’s total pressures in 2016 resulted in sacks — an outlier in an of itself compared to the rest of the league. Since 2014, the league average for sack percentage (sacks/total pressures) is just 14.6%.

He has probably just regressed to mean. The same thing that all these one-season wonders do.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

On his statistically good season (in terms of sacks), PFF noted that he had a very unusual rush-to-sack ratio.

a whopping 27% of Beasley’s total pressures in 2016 resulted in sacks — an outlier in an of itself compared to the rest of the league. Since 2014, the league average for sack percentage (sacks/total pressures) is just 14.6%.

He has probably just regressed to mean. The same thing that all these one-season wonders do.

This.

We all expected a regression to the mean from Vic's 15.5 sacks in 2016 of course, but what we were not expecting was for him to struggle like he did last year and so far this year.  But then again I remember how disappointed we all were with his rookie season sack number and now it looks like that might just be who he is at this point.  I just wonder what it was that allowed him to go from an average of 4 sacks a year in all his other seasons besides 2016 to 15.5 sacks in that season?  That many sacks can't simply be attributed to luck; he had to have been doing a lot of things right to get to that number.

2016 was a perfect storm of luck for Vic Beasley. He faced a ton of back up lineman and beat up on them, feasted off stunts, and registered sacks at an insanely efficient rate. That season was never going to be replicated. 

Beasley's biggest problem is he doesn't have a go to move when his speed rush is shut down. He lacks strength to have any sort of power game. 

I would be surprised if he gets resigned by the Falcons. Somebody will overpay for his services based on his 2016 season. 

Still a bit too early to give up on Vic yet but it certainly looks like he will end up being one of DQ's big whiffs in the draft.  Luckily Takk McKinley is looking pretty solid so far, provided that this season isn't an outlier.  Certainly seems stronger than Vic and also has an incredible motor.  Drafting pass rushers is a real crap shoot though, almost as much as drafting QB's.

38 minutes ago, jarren said:

2016 was a perfect storm of luck for Vic Beasley. He faced a ton of back up lineman and beat up on them, feasted off stunts, and registered sacks at an QB insanely efficient rate. That season was never going to be replicated. 

Beasley's biggest problem is he doesn't have a go to move when his speed rush is shut down. He lacks strength to have any sort of power game. 

I would be surprised if he gets resigned by the Falcons. Somebody will overpay for his services based on his 2016 season. 

This why we're telling everyone to hold their breath on Irvin helping. One trick speed rushing pony, except he's older and slower than Beasley.

You gotta hone your craft. Otherwise all the physical gifts in the world don't matter. And i'd assume he's been coached well by Quinn, if he wants to be that is

Its pretty low-risk bringing Irvin in as a rental to help out though.  Reuniting with DQ could work out well for him (or not) and the Falcons can use all the help they can get when it comes to rushing the QB.  I certainly don't expect him to come in and be Von Miller or anything like that, but I do think he can help this team down the stretch.

Archived