2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

3 years, $30M is probably his floor, but I'd venture to guess he's going to get more.  I think he could push 4 years, $48M.

If Thomas tops out at 4/48m and he's not a Packer, consider me very disappointed. I'd pay him that in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

He was a all pro player just last year and has seemed to indicate interest in the packers. 

That was based on rep, not production.

He was excellent in 2016, solid in 2017 and average at best in 2018.

So, if he wants more than $8M a year, I hope it's not with the Packers.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

3 years, $30M is probably his floor, but I'd venture to guess he's going to get more.  I think he could push 4 years, $48M.

He's gonna be 30y/o in May. You think he's got enough in the tank to be productive at 34 (?) or just figuring some sort of contract structure that makes the tail end worth eating if/when his game declines?

If we can get ET, I will be super happy with Gute. Regardless, if he lives up to the contract or not. I will still be appareciative of the move. He’s worth the risk. Our young DBs need a real leader getting their backs in the deep half.

Just now, Leader said:

He's gonna be 30y/o in May. You think he's got enough in the tank to be productive at 34 (?) or just figuring some sort of contract structure that makes the tail end worth eating if/when his game declines?

I'd anticipate if he's shooting for a higher AAV, the guarantees are going to be a bit low or it's going to be structured where that 4th year is an easy out year.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I don't see a dramatic decline given how good he is. Thomas isn't a normal player. At 29 last year, he was still the best safety in the game until he got hurt. Offenses still have to game-plan around him. Will he be a lesser player at 33-34? Sure. At 33 do I still think he'll be as good or better than most 26-year old safeties in the NFL, yes. 

Edited by packfanfb

Just now, n8ghee said:

If we can get ET, I will be super happy with Gute. Regardless, if he lives up to the contract or not. I will still be appareciative of the move. He’s worth the risk. Our young DBs need a real leader getting their backs in the deep half.

Honestly, at this point I think I'd rather have Tre Boston for half the price.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'd anticipate if he's shooting for a higher AAV, the guarantees are going to be a bit low or it's going to be structured where that 4th year is an easy out year.

Yeah. I'm not hot to trot for the guy to be honest - because of his health / cost - not so much his play. But I dont think theres a whole bunch of 34y/o SS in the league these days - so that last year better be half priced hot dogs at Lambeau :)

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah. I'm not hot to trot for the guy to be honest - because of his health / cost - not so much his play. But I dont think theres a whole bunch of 34y/o SS in the league these days - so that last year better be half priced hot dogs at Lambeau :)

Don't get me wrong, I'd be stoked for Earl Thomas and he's not your usual safety.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, at this point I think I'd rather have Tre Boston for half the price.

I’m not as familiar with Boston’s work the last few seasons as I am with ETs.

If Boston is 85 percent the player ET, for half the price, I’d be down for that too. 

Definitely would like a Veteran back there, who the youngins can trust.

i reaaaaallllly just don’t want to have some Rookie patrolling the back end.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be stoked for Earl Thomas and he's not your usual safety.

Come on...make up your mind LOL

Agree - he's a good player - but he's broken his leg (the same one?) two of the last three years and while he may not be your usual Safety - age has a way of reducing guys down to a common denominator.