2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Browns are reportedly shopping Kevin Zeitler.  His contract is enormous, but he's 28 and from Waukesha, so it's conceivable they w/could extend him.  Any interest?

I mean, his cap hits are $10m, $10m and $12m the next 3 years. What kind of extension would we do with that long left.... 

14 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Browns are reportedly shopping Kevin Zeitler.  His contract is enormous, but he's 28 and from Waukesha, so it's conceivable they w/could extend him.  Any interest?

A top end guard who rated as the best pass protector last year. I know Rodgers would approve. I would absolutely be interested. With his contract, I'm not sure the Browns would receive that high of a draft pick either I would do a 4th or higher. 

13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I mean, his cap hits are $10m, $10m and $12m the next 3 years. What kind of extension would we do with that long left.... 

With the way the contract is structured, it's essentially a series of one-year team options each of the next three years.  One could offer him more security in the form of years/guarantees for a more manageable cap number.  Like he's a guy who would not hate playing here so it's worth seeing if you can work something out

NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reports RG Kevin Zeitler's "name has been thrown around some" as someone the Browns may try to trade.

At $12 million per year, Zeitler is the league's third-highest paid guard behind Zack Martin and Andrew Norwell. The old regime in Cleveland handed Zeitler that contract, and Kinkhabwala adds current GM John Dorsey drafted Austin Corbett to be an interior lineman for this team. Cutting Zeitler would clear just $1.7 million in cap space and leave behind $10.7 million in dead money, but the Browns would save $6.5 million in real cash. The Browns are already flush with cap space. They'd likely only consider moving him if a team wants to trade them a pick. Zeitler turns 29 in three days and was Pro Football Focus' top pass-blocking guard last season.

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala on Tw

Looks like it's going to be a pretty active offseason with trades.

Kind of the same argument with Perry, lot of dead cap and only a little cap savings, too lazy to look it up now, but we still have to pay him a lot of real money this year, like 12 million?

That dead money/cap hit is simply a bookkeeping charge for money we already gave him.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol, no it wasn't.  It was literally above average in almost every category.

14th in points.
12th in yards.
9th in passing yards.
22nd in rushing yards. 

If you're too stupid, stubborn or both to actually have the slightest amount of capacity for perspective, that's your fault. 

I don't care about the rankings given the ability to severely inflate them based on one or 2 games.  They tell a very small picture and don't require any sort of consistency. 

Last year we seen our offense score 17 or fewer points in 6 games (all losses, 3 of them being 1 score games).  That's bottom 3 in the NFL type of scoring production for almost 40% of the season.  Rankings don't tell the whole picture.  Our offense was extremely inconsistent last year evident by the numerous LONG stretches of awfulness.  

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Derp a derp, I don't care about facts, our offense serks.

You have zero perspective whatsoever.  Our offense doesn't need sweeping changes.  Our defense does.

In what world did something like end of season rankings become "fact" and the ONLY way you can evaluate an offense or a defense? 

The 4 win 2012 Detroit Lions team gained more yards that season than any Packer team in the history of the franchise.  Was that offense really better than any that Green Bay has ever had?  If yardage ranking and ONLY yardage ranking is the sole determining factor on what a good offense is then the answer has to be yes.  Anyone capable of being objective and has half a brain wouldn't agree.  Reality is the hatred you have expressed for Aaron Rodgers has you wanting this offense to fail and fail bad which is why you want 100% of cap space and draft assets put into the defense while the offense works with exactly what they've got on the roster and nothing more.  

Our defense has seen sweeping change for the better part of the last 4 years as our front office has thrown more than 80% of our quality draft picks at it. 

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

In what world did something like end of season rankings become "fact" and the ONLY way you can evaluate an offense or a defense? 

The 4 win 2012 Detroit Lions team gained more yards that season than any Packer team in the history of the franchise.  Was that offense really better than any that Green Bay has ever had?  If yardage ranking and ONLY yardage ranking is the sole determining factor on what a good offense is then the answer has to be yes.  Anyone capable of being objective and has half a brain wouldn't agree.  Reality is the hatred you have expressed for Aaron Rodgers has you wanting this offense to fail and fail bad which is why you want 100% of cap space and draft assets put into the defense while the offense works with exactly what they've got on the roster and nothing more.  

Our defense has seen sweeping change for the better part of the last 4 years as our front office has thrown more than 80% of our quality draft picks at it. 

The bolded is exactly why I am thinking a change in approach with loading up with the offense will make us more competitive in the short term, atleast till Rodgers is done. I think it will be easier for us to make the D league average and make our offense top-tier than to make the sweeping changes the D needs to become top-tier. I truly believe that adding AB and another top tight-end (eg: Hockenson) to complement Adams and Burns can accomplish moving are offense to that tier.

Are there any realistic moves we can make in FA combined with drafting more D that makes our D good enough for a long playoff run? I do no think so. Rebuilding our D has been going on for a while and Rodgers is getting older.

Archived