2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it's dead if he's traded even?

Not sure, if the trade is done before 3/15/2019. 

Cooks' contract is very unusual. He got only a normal signing bonus of just 7M, and 5.6M of that would definitely become dead cap for them. But Cooks is also due (per Spotrac): 

• 2019 Roster Bonus: $9.459M (paid 3/15/2019, fully guaranteed at signing)
  • 2019 Option Bonus: $17M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $4M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
  • 2020 salary guarantees in March 2020
  • 2023 $14M option must be exercised between 3/13/2019 - 3/15/2019
    If exercised, the 2019 salary de-escalates to $1M (guaranteed)
    the 2020 salary de-escalates to $8M

That option bonus is kinda like a second signing bonus, prorated over 2019-2023. I really dunno what would happen to that or to the 2019 roster bonus that was guaranteed at signing, if traded. And I have zero idea what that last item on the list even means. 

It's possible the Rams would avoid almost all dead cap IF they trade him right now. But that weird contract is beyond my cap reading skills. 

3 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Disagree. Reports were they offered 10M guaranteed. Which is less than the franchise tag. You can add as much non-guaranteed funny money to the back end of a deal and he'll take 32M guaranteed every time. 

Bell made the right long term decision if he was worried about his health through a full year. IF you can tell me he 100% would not get hurt, he goofed. Since that is not the case, the Steelers forced his hand by lowballing him. 

Bell made the right decision only under the assumption that his career will end completely this year or the next.  If he plays more than 2 years on this deal this decision to leave 14.5 million on the table last year looks worse and worse.  The Steelers offer last year would have paid him 33 million in the first 2 seasons (last year and this coming year) and 14 million every year after.  

Had he played out last year for 14.5 million, he'd have been able to sign this same deal assuming he didn't suffer a career ending injury.  If anything, James Conner could have hurt his value after showing that any warm bodied RB is capable of high end production in that offense.

There are no 100%s but chances are good that we wouldn't have seen a career ending injury out of Bell.  Even if he suffered a non-career ending injury he'd have likely had no issues making up the 17.5 million difference between last year's franchise tag number and the difference in guaranteed money.  

The Steelers didn't force anyone's hand.  They offered a MAJOR character risk who'd been suspended twice the largest contract in NFL history for his position and he declined.  It wasn't loaded with a ton of guaranteed money but there was more money in the first 2 years of it than the 4 year contract he signed today.  

Just looking around at our FA guard/tackle options had we not signed Billy Turner.

There's not many that fits the size, age and athletic profile for our ZBS.

George Fant

Quentin Spain

Kendall Lamm

Garry Gilliam

I don't know anything about these guys but how do they compare to Billy Turner?

Jordy Nelson has 10 red zone touchdown catches for us if he comes back.  I don't know why I'm the only person here who sees the value in Jordy Nelson being on this team in the red zone.  Like... Did you forget all the DOZENS of touchdowns Jordy had just by knowing where to go once the play breaks down and having Aaron's trust? 

That's one that I just don't understand.  Lose Jordy Nelson and Rodgers has his worst year in his CAREER in the red zone and nobody seems capable or willing to do the math. 

Jordy Nelson has SERIOUS value here in the red zone.  Maybe everyone just ignores me because of how much crap I talk about Rodgers, but if everyone could just ignore that for a minute and ask themselves whether or not it's true (regardless of whom it comes from), they'd probably answer honestly that Rodgers requires copious amounts of trust, ESPECIALLY in the red zone, and Jordy Nelson has that trust.

Jordy isn't going to steal time from MVS/ESB/Moore realistically and can only help this team. 

Any interest? Kind of an EDGE/3-tech mix (6'4" 275) who's had decent production with Browns last 3 years (average about 4.5 sacks) and is only 25. In last year of his rookie deal (cap hit $2.1mil). Might be able to get him for a conditional day 3 pick. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jordy Nelson has 10 red zone touchdown catches for us if he comes back.  I don't know why I'm the only person here who sees the value in Jordy Nelson being on this team in the red zone.  Like... Did you forget all the DOZENS of touchdowns Jordy had just by knowing where to go once the play breaks down and having Aaron's trust? 

That's one that I just don't understand.  Lose Jordy Nelson and Rodgers has his worst year in his CAREER in the red zone and nobody seems capable or willing to do the math. 

Jordy Nelson has SERIOUS value here in the red zone.  Maybe everyone just ignores me because of how much crap I talk about Rodgers, but if everyone could just ignore that for a minute and ask themselves whether or not it's true (regardless of whom it comes from), they'd probably answer honestly that Rodgers requires copious amounts of trust, ESPECIALLY in the red zone, and Jordy Nelson has that trust.

Jordy isn't going to steal time from MVS/ESB/Moore realistically and can only help this team. 

Tough to move forward if you keep looking back. 

Archived