2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

6 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

This year seems to be the anomaly with his career though. Totally on board with another year for him. Like you said though, don’t think he gets much ca$h. Interested to see what the contract is. 

Unless he's just not quick enough to hang any more and can't hit his leverage points.

I woke up with the thought that UFA is the expensive way to fix mistakes made in draft. It's no coincidence we made all these signings in the year when we should be extending our 2015 draft class. That was the Tsar Bomba of bombed drafts. 

We may bring back Jake Ryan on a prove-it deal. Other than that, essentially all we have to show is a backup QB acquired by trading our first pick (who should be playing safety for us), and technically Cole Madison. Then a 6th rounder this year we got by trading the 5th round pick in that draft. And a 2020 7th rounder for TyMont. :S

Considering our 2016 draft class DOES have players worth re-signing, I'm not gonna expect a similar haul of players from other teams next off-season.

The 2016 draft has Kenny Clark, which the Packers can activate his 5th year option for about 8.8 million. Other than Blake Martinez  don't see any must signs, Spriggs, Fackerell, Lowery, and Davis aren't big payday guys. Plus Mike Daniels, Bulaga, Graham and Lane Taylor could be cut targets or not resigned if the Packers draft to replace these older or non productive players this year with better talent to take over next year they won't have to spend the money and have as many holes to fill.

1 minute ago, Packer Dave said:

The 2016 draft has Kenny Clark, which the Packers can activate his 5th year option for about 8.8 million. Other than Blake Martinez  don't see any must signs, Spriggs, Fackerell, Lowery, and Davis aren't big payday guys. Plus Mike Daniels, Bulaga, Graham and Lane Taylor could be cut targets or not resigned if the Packers draft to replace these older or non productive players this year with better talent to take over next year they won't have to spend the money and have as many holes to fill.

Lowery could hang. They can’t all be pro bowlers and he’s around average. Spriggs I still have hoped for too. 

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Lowery could hang. They can’t all be pro bowlers and he’s around average. Spriggs I still have hoped for too. 

I fully agree, on Lowery, he is a good rotational guy, but could be replaced and wouldn't break the bank to keep him. and maybe this new system will fit Spriggs better.  I don't expect every player to come in and be great, heck the first couple of seasons of Rodgers I thought he was a wasted pick.

2 minutes ago, Packer Dave said:

I fully agree, on Lowery, he is a good rotational guy, but could be replaced and wouldn't break the bank to keep him. and maybe this new system will fit Spriggs better.  I don't expect every player to come in and be great, heck the first couple of seasons of Rodgers I thought he was a wasted pick.

Ya, Spriggs was a pretty good run blocker no? Pass pro not as bad as people think either. Guy has the tools. 

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Could be. Maybe they just didn’t use him right like asking him to do what he’s not quite capable of. Keep him tighter maybe?

TEs have to seal edges. If you can't reach block, you're not particularly useful. 

If all the TE is going to do is chip, Graham can do that. If Lewis can't occasionally show a fight in a 1v1 pass rushing spot because he can't kick slide adequately, that's an issue.

He wasn't used as a lead blocker last year. Maybe he can handle that this year but that's not his game. 

And for all the advantages that Lewis brings as a drive blocker. You're sure as **** lining up your second level defenders differently when you see her in the game compared to Graham.

I'm not saying Lewis can't play still. As a goal line block/pass misdirection target, as a kickoff return and FG blocker and as a savvy vet, Lewis was always going to find a home if he wanted one.

I just hope we didn't pay the man anything significant anything significant for those things. For the most part you can pick those things up at Home Depot.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

TEs have to seal edges. If you can't reach block, you're not particularly useful. 

If all the TE is going to do is chip, Graham can do that. If Lewis can't occasionally show a fight in a 1v1 pass rushing spot because he can't kick slide adequately, that's an issue.

He wasn't used as a lead blocker last year. Maybe he can handle that this year but that's not his game. 

And for all the advantages that Lewis brings as a drive blocker. You're sure as **** lining up your second level defenders differently when you see her in the game compared to Graham.

I'm not saying Lewis can't play still. As a goal line block/pass misdirection target, as a kickoff return and FG blocker and as a savvy vet, Lewis was always going to find a home if he wanted one.

I just hope we didn't pay the man anything significant anything significant for those things. For the most part you can pick those things up at Home Depot.

Agree hope we didn’t pay big but honestly, I assume we didn’t. Guy checked in a tad over average last year didn’t he? Plus it was a pretty small sample size for him as well. Guy hardly played. Warm up, sit on the bench for 2-3 quarters then come in and be great for a play then sit again. Bad plan for him IMO 

31 minutes ago, Packer Dave said:

I'd probably use that 5th year option as leverage to extend Clark long term... But in either case, his 2020 cap hit isn't gonna be horrendous.

I agree those others from 2016 class aren't "must-signs", but neither are they "good riddance". Letting all go would be adding holes that need filling somehow. Those mid-level contracts can add up, with replacements (not to speak of upgrades) via UFA likely costing more.

Main point being, I doubt we'll be completely on the sidelines when it comes to 2020 UFAs, but I don't expect a haul of players from other teams anywhere close to this year's.

1 hour ago, salmar80 said:

I woke up with the thought that UFA is the expensive way to fix mistakes made in draft. It's no coincidence we made all these signings in the year when we should be extending our 2015 draft class. That was the Tsar Bomba of bombed drafts. 

We may bring back Jake Ryan on a prove-it deal. Other than that, essentially all we have to show is a backup QB acquired by trading our first pick (who should be playing safety for us), and technically Cole Madison. Then a 6th rounder this year we got by trading the 5th round pick in that draft. And a 2020 7th rounder for TyMont. :S

Considering our 2016 draft class DOES have players worth re-signing, I'm not gonna expect a similar haul of players from other teams next off-season.

He was drafted in 2018, FYI. So, in essence we have a total bust of a draft you are correct. 

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He was drafted in 2018, FYI. So, in essence we have a total bust of a draft you are correct. 

Yup, no doubt the main reason for signing what we just did.  Just saw a listing of top 100 free agents and who was left after all the signings so far.  Interesting to note that the 3 defensive players we signed were all listed in the top 20 of that list!

Archived