2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I both agree and disagree with the thoughts above.

i wholeheartedly agree that the Packers had the "Tsar Bomba of bombed drafts" in 2015 (assuming that means it was not good).

However, I also think Gute's aggressive foray into free agency represents a sea change in how the organization is constructing its roster.

For example, does anyone believe that if Gute had not taken over less than 15 months ago that his predecessor would have traded away his 2015 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks (Randall, Montgomery, and Hundley) in 2018? Given that he made exactly ZERO such trades between 2011-2017? 

I reckon that if there had been no change at GM, Randall would be on his second contract, folks would be worried about whether Monty was going to leave, Jake Ryan would have been re-upped, and we'd be talking about how Rip is amongst the best FBs in the NFL. Heck, there is even a decent chance Q Rollins would be coming back for his 5th year instead of having been cut prior to last season (and no chance that Breeland would have been on the Pack's radar in 2018). I can't fathom that Hundley would have been kept around, but who knows. 

Anyway, under the previous GM, the 2019 Packers would obviously have had far less $ to delve into free agency because they would have devoted more of it to the 2015 class (and the previous GM and his fans could point to all those re-signings of evidence of the GM's drafting prowess).

Furthermore, does anyone really believe that the prior GM would have traded HHCD instead of signing him to a big, second contract? Again, the Pack would not have the money (or inclination) to sign an Amos if the prior GM had already paid big money to his 2014 first round pick Clinton-Dix.

Additional evidence of the Pack's new way of doing business relates to the OLB position. Any chance the Smiths, 2 of the 4 UFAs signed by Gutey, are signed by Green Bay under the prior GM? 

I seriously doubt the prior regime would have cut Perry and eaten that big salary. Instead, we'd be hearing that if Nick can just stay healthy he'll prove what a great player he is (and justify the big contract given to him) -- the same story we heard during 6 out of his 7 seasons in GB.

Also, why would the Pack need to go outside the organization for an OLBer when Viince Biegel would just be coming into his own? I mean, we really don't think Vince would have been cut after just one year if the guy who drafted him had not been shown the door, do we? And with Perry at $10M+, Fack and his 10.5 sacks, an up and coming Biegel as well as a possibly already re-signed Clay and the draft possibilities, no way the Pack would have pursued one, let alone two, veteran free agent OLB.

Consequently, while I completely concur that the 2015 draft was a bust, I think the evidence also points to a completely different outlook and approach when it comes to roster building under Gute. Instead of giving draft picks second, third, or fourth chances to prove themselves worthy, as was the case until last season, Gute appears more than willing to trade, cut, and not re-sign them. And, moreover, upon acknowledging drafting failures, Gute demonstrates a greater willingness to attack holes in the roster (including by using the heretofore looked down veteran free agency route for acquiring talent). 

PFT had an apt description of the profound transformation regarding free agency under Gute earlier today:

"These aren’t Ted Thompson’s Packers. The former G.M. of the franchise treated free agency like a ball of anthrax covered in smallpox. The new G.M. of the team, Brian Gutekunst, is embracing it."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Gute seems to be emerging as a "swing for the fence" kind of GM. Think Bambi's Bombers. TT was a small ball guy. Get a base hit; bunt to move the runner. Hope for an error by the other team. 

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Chris Hogan

I feel like Hogan is one of those guys who is an option for very few teams, for a non-football reason.  His wife is a doctor in Long Island and just gave birth to twins, so last year he drove home after every single game.  So if the Jets or the Giants are interested, he's excited but I don't think he'll play for Kansas City or Miami.

1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

I think the Packers look for a #2 WR in free agency. I don't think Allison is a #2 yet so obviously a Golden Tate or Chris Hogan or even Breshard Perriman might be worth a 2 year deal. I do expect TE may be their high Round 1 pick with WR or, more likley, OL their Round 1 second pick. 

Perriman is on the Bucanneers. EQ and MVS are both going to be better than Hogan next year and Tate isn't going to be worth the money. Hard pass.