2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Demarcus Lawrence to get the tag by the Cowboys.  We knew this was happening.  Second tier EDGE guys are now first tier.  I despise the thought of ponying up 10m+ to guys who haven't gotten double digit sacks.  

Preston Smith, 4 years, 24.5 sacks.  High of 8, twice.

Z'Darious Smith, 4 years, 18.5 sacks.  High of 8.5 last year.

Trey Flowers, 3 years (injured one year), 21 sacks.  High of 7.5.

I'm resigned to think that there will be no "bargain" EDGE guys out there.  Even Fowler and Barrett are going to see real money.  I have to wonder if Justin Houston would be worth it when looking at these guys and their production.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

@CWood21 convinced me awhile ago that there is no such thing as a "bargain" EDGE guy - until you get into the bargain basement category.

With the top guys now tagged, all it does is shoot up the value for the next tiers.  Those tier 3 edge guys should now get more money.  And that makes me unhappy.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

With the top guys now tagged, all it does is shoot up the value for the next tiers.  Those tier 3 edge guys should now get more money.  And that makes me unhappy.

Well - yes and no IMO. Positional value - I got ya - but there is still something to be said for actual production. So anybody just riding along and thinking he's gonna cash in with some generational wealth simply because he happens to take snaps at a certain position.......

Sure - some GMs are gonna overpay some guys cause they're either stupid or desperate. But the norm will start to take hold: less production is gonna see less cash.

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

I don't think there are any bellcow backs in the league anymore. Everyone seems to be heading towards committee approach.

Not really what I'm asking. But I wasn't very clear. I'd like to see how come within idk top 15 in this league right now in scrimmage yards before I'd call him top 3. I don't think that's too radical.

Lol Googled top rushers. AP had 1000 yards eh, who knew

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A bargain edge is like a bargain quarterback.  If the guy is available, and inexpensive, there's a problem.

Probably so - but moreso with the veteran. Sometimes a youngster or rookie contract guy will shake loose thats not put the stats on the field - but its not totally for a lack of talent. Harder to find them though.

I can tell you how deep this class is in EDGE guys - but if we EVER needed a class to have talent that matched our needs???? The year we were searching for an ILB and passed on all the top guys (or they were drafted before we got a seat at the table) and we waited till the 4th to nab Ryan - comes to my mind at least.

I mean, here are the top FA edges available right now, since tags have been coming in: 

-Ziggy Ansah

-Anthony Barr

-Shaq Barrett

-Dante Fowler

-Markus Golden

-Shane Ray

-Preston Smith

and I guess Justin Houston

All of these guys (except perhaps Houston) are going to get PAID.  How many of these guys are more exciting than Nick Perry?

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, here are the top FA edges available right now, since tags have been coming in: 

-Ziggy Ansah

-Anthony Barr

-Shaq Barrett

-Dante Fowler

-Markus Golden

-Shane Ray

-Preston Smith

and I guess Justin Houston

All of these guys (except perhaps Houston) are going to get PAID.  How many of these guys are more exciting than Nick Perry?

Houston will still get paid. 30-year old Brandon Graham just got $14m/year. 30-year Justin Houston has been just as, if not more productive over the last 3 years. I know there's some injury issues there, but he's still going to get big money.