Assessment of the 2018 Green Bay Packers

Golfman

8 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But there is the rub.  He can't stay on the field.  :(

Unfortunately, this is proving to be true.

Today's the first glimpse / report we'll get about Alexander and Breeland's injuries. We'll need them Thursday.
I'm guessing Perry's out of the OLB rotation for awhile. How long - who knows.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Unfortunately, this is proving to be true.

Today's the first glimpse / report we'll get about Alexander and Breeland's injuries. We'll need them Thursday.
I'm guessing Perry's out of the OLB rotation for awhile. How long - who knows.

Is this addition by subtraction? He's been non-existent this year so far. Fackrell and Gilbert have been much better. I'd rather see Donnerson brought up and given a look and do believe we have an open roster spot for him.

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Is this addition by subtraction? He's been non-existent this year so far. Fackrell and Gilbert have been much better. I'd rather see Donnerson brought up and given a look and do believe we have an open roster spot for him.

Word is that Perry's not overcome his ankle surgery. True or not I cant say - but given his position, it could be given the combination of power and speed required. He's had a down year production wise - there has to be some reason.

Donnerson? Not if Perry is / becomes healthy. He's produced for us in the past - and I dont calculate production in relation to contract.

The CAP's an off season issue / consideration. We've got the cash for everybody on the roster now. It's not my money and the team can pay its bills.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Word is that Perry's not overcome his ankle surgery. True or not I cant say - but given his position, it could be given the combination of power and speed required. He's had a down year production wise - there has to be some reason.

Donnerson? Not if Perry is / becomes healthy. He's produced for us in the past - and I dont calculate production in relation to contract.

The CAP's an off season issue / consideration. We've got the cash for everybody on the roster now. It's not my money and the team can pay its bills.

OK, but the Perry we are getting this year, regardless of reason, is not good. If he's now injured worse, we need a 4th EDGE rusher and Donnerson is our best bet that this point, on a short week. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

OK, but the Perry we are getting this year, regardless of reason, is not good. If he's now injured worse, we need a 4th EDGE rusher and Donnerson is our best bet that this point, on a short week

Dont disagree with the logic necessarily. I think he may be our only bet no?
Cant say I'd be overly enthused about an untested 7th round athletic freak rookie - getting significant field time in whats turning out to be crunch time games......
But whats the roster move look like?

What about that special teams demon (Crawford) getting more reps? Is he more an ILB or OLB?

13 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I would disagree on Spriggs. When he played in 2018 he was at least average. Can't have one standard for Rodgers and another for Spriggs. McCray is still an unknown to me. Only really played 2 games at guard and was injured. I like his upside. 

I had dismissed Spriggs as a viable player after preseason this year (his 3rd in the NFL). Then he goes and puts together non-awful mid-season performances that make me wonder. He's a late riser that I'm not sure how to pigeonhole. I'd like a larger sample size, but I can see an argument for putting him in the 'Young Improving' group, despite being in his 3rd year. I also agree McCray is hard to place - maybe he should be in the 'Incomplete' bracket. The Rodgers grade I'll stick with at this point in time (though of course I'm hoping he gets back to elite again).

Have you seen the TE play across the league? He is a top 10 TE this year. Graham is impacting the game even if he is not getting the ball. The 2 & 23 TD to Adams the Corner left his zone to get to Jimmy's zone leaving Adams wide open. You don't always have to get the targets to affect the game. 

We all know Rodgers takes time to develop chemistry with his pass catchers, Jimmy has been good this year and is going to get better. 

Also this Tramon thing is way overblown too. Do you know where we would be at without him in the secondary? Assuming King/Breeland/Brice out this week our secondary would be made up of 4 rookies (2 UDFA) - 2 2nd year players (1 UDFA). 

Why does everyone care so much about cap space this time of the year? Let's cut Cobb for the space, who are we spending that money on at this point? It's not our money who cares if the player may be under-performing. Obviously in the offseason that is a different story but now we have what we have and a lot the players people want to throw away have value. 

6 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I was expecting big things from Jimmy this year on the Packers. Sucks to hear he hasn't lived up to expectations. :(

It way too premature to call Jimmy a bad signing in all fairness. I've been happy with him as a TE all things considered. In general the entirety of the offense hasn't been what we are used to seeing from this Green Bay team but that's not a reason to cut ties with Jimmy and label him as "needs to go last year" he's a good addition to this team and I expect him to get better for us as Green Bay starts figuring out who they are or the inevitable coaching change at end of season if we don't.

24 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

1) Have you seen the TE play across the league? He is a top 10 TE this year. Graham is impacting the game even if he is not getting the ball. The 2 & 23 TD to Adams the Corner left his zone to get to Jimmy's zone leaving Adams wide open. You don't always have to get the targets to affect the game. 

2) We all know Rodgers takes time to develop chemistry with his pass catchers, Jimmy has been good this year and is going to get better. 

Also this Tramon thing is way overblown too. Do you know where we would be at without him in the secondary? Assuming King/Breeland/Brice out this week our secondary would be made up of 4 rookies (2 UDFA) - 2 2nd year players (1 UDFA). 

Why does everyone care so much about cap space this time of the year? Let's cut Cobb for the space, who are we spending that money on at this point? It's not our money who cares if the player may be under-performing. Obviously in the offseason that is a different story but now we have what we have and a lot the players people want to throw away have value. 

1) Yah, I've thought that too.  The tight end play isn't all that good.  Jimmy is doing pretty good, considering year one of the offense and with Rodgers...while breaking in rookie WR's.  I'll take it.

2) I'm looking forward to seeing what Jimmy does next year.  He should be even better.

3) I've said this before....and I fall into the trap too.  We shouldn't care, but we do.  I know I've been guilty of thinking about "what if" we would have cut the guy and gotten someone else.  But that kind of thinking really doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I had dismissed Spriggs as a viable player after preseason this year (his 3rd in the NFL). Then he goes and puts together non-awful mid-season performances that make me wonder. He's a late riser that I'm not sure how to pigeonhole. I'd like a larger sample size, but I can see an argument for putting him in the 'Young Improving' group, despite being in his 3rd year. I also agree McCray is hard to place - maybe he should be in the 'Incomplete' bracket. The Rodgers grade I'll stick with at this point in time (though of course I'm hoping he gets back to elite again).

Back in the summer Palmy said Spriggs is the kind of player that needs reps to get into a groove and really give his best. I'm not knowledgeable enough to confirm or deny but I tend to trust Palmy. I'd like to see him string a few games together to really see what we have there.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm just nitpicking a little. I agree with the vast majority of what you posted and like the category break down as well. I'll say we have more potential impact players for 2019 than we have in a very long time. Now, we need good health and some of those young kids to make strides, but there is talent. 

Definitely going to need EDGE rushers, OL, TE and a few more DBs in my opinion for next year. Even if we keep Graham, the only other player that is likely back is Tonyan who is completely unproven. 

Archived