Eagles RBs

Bednarik60

32 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Sproles is definitely the obvious and easy comparison but if that's the upside of the pick why make it?

Don't get me wrong I love what Sproles brings to the table as a change of pace and a Swiss Army knife if you will but my personal preference is to pick players with the upside to become starters, not just contributors. Considering the uphill battle most 4th round picks have to make the roster anyway we're talking in "best case scenario" but would you rather have a best case scenario Darren Sproles or Devonta Freeman/Lamar Miller?

Eh, I think you're horribly underselling Sproles; he goes beyond being a "contributor." He's a dynamic talent.  There isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't want to have Darren Sproles on its roster, despite not being someone you hand the ball off to 30 times a game.

But I understand where you're coming from. Especially given that we need a feature back.  I would imagine the thought is to try and let him learn from the best scat back of all time and develop his body so that he can play the same type of role and we'll draft another guy this upcoming season.

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Yeah, Westbrook was definitely a bit thicker already coming out, but still, if you look at him over the course of his career, his legs turned into tree trunks. 

But even still, Sproles fits into the same camp and was the same round pick as Pumphrey.  He hardly got on the field his first two years in the NFL, outside of returns.

I think Pump could add the same value starting out, but he needs to get bigger before he's depended on running the ball out of the backfield.

The problem for me is more that Pumphrey has a completely different body type than those guys. People like Westbrook, Sproles, Rice, Jones-Drew, Turner are guys that came into the league with a shorter stature but a much wider frame, capable of carrying that way. Pumphrey has a narrow frame with small shoulders and hips. He simply doesn't have the body type to be able to add that weight on effectively. I cannot see him ever playing at a weight of more than 180 pounds and that's a huge problem for a running back. I was not a fan of the pick when it was made and nothing I've seen has done anything but confirm that belief in my mind. I personally like the shorter running backs because there's value in them being able to hide behind the line, having a lower center of gravity, and the balance and power that you'll see from those guys. However, there's a difference between being short and being small, and unfortunately for Pumphrey, he's both.

1 hour ago, BLick12 said:

Eh, I think you're horribly underselling Sproles; he goes beyond being a "contributor." He's a dynamic talent.  There isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't want to have Darren Sproles on its roster, despite not being someone you hand the ball off to 30 times a game.

But I understand where you're coming from. Especially given that we need a feature back.  I would imagine the thought is to try and let him learn from the best scat back of all time and develop his body so that he can play the same type of role and we'll draft another guy this upcoming season.

So he's an important contributor, however you want to word it you (and the Eagles) are still not comfortable with him as your starting running back (or feature back) and that's my biggest issue with it.

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

I'm not going to put Clement's 3.1 ypc on the 53 either. We'll be looking at the waiver wire when time comes to drop to 53. Pump will get a ton of touches vs the Jets to get that phantom injury.  

Nah I think you can take it to the bank that our RB depth will be Blount, Sproles, Smallwood, and Pumphrey unless the phantom injury comes into play as others have mentioned. If that happens i'm sure we'll be picking someone up off of waivers.

49 minutes ago, fly eagles fly said:

The problem for me is more that Pumphrey has a completely different body type than those guys. People like Westbrook, Sproles, Rice, Jones-Drew, Turner are guys that came into the league with a shorter stature but a much wider frame, capable of carrying that way. Pumphrey has a narrow frame with small shoulders and hips. He simply doesn't have the body type to be able to add that weight on effectively. I cannot see him ever playing at a weight of more than 180 pounds and that's a huge problem for a running back. I was not a fan of the pick when it was made and nothing I've seen has done anything but confirm that belief in my mind. I personally like the shorter running backs because there's value in them being able to hide behind the line, having a lower center of gravity, and the balance and power that you'll see from those guys. However, there's a difference between being short and being small, and unfortunately for Pumphrey, he's both.

And that might be true, but I feel that if there's an offense that can figure out how to utilize his skillset it would be the Reid/Pederson style offense.  With that said, we haven't even seen him enough to know if he's a capable receiver in the NFL.

54 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

So he's an important contributor, however you want to word it you (and the Eagles) are still not comfortable with him as your starting running back (or feature back) and that's my biggest issue with it.

Well, I'm sure the fact that he's 34 doesn't help.  But he looked plenty capable when he was forced to start games last year, but yeah, point taken, you don't want him getting hit 300+ times a season.  It's an interesting discussion point, and it definitely makes you think.  Is it worth taking a chance and getting a guy that could turn out to be an all-purpose back, or someone that will ultimately be more a specialized/gadget type player.  To me, a lot of it depends on the system and I think Doug's system benefits greatly in having a back that can create mismatches,  effectively run screens and keep the defense guessing.  That's part of why I was so low on us signing Blount, even if it seems he's a nice complement on paper to the other guys.

16 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Nah I think you can take it to the bank that our RB depth will be Blount, Sproles, Smallwood, and Pumphrey unless the phantom injury comes into play as others have mentioned. If that happens i'm sure we'll be picking someone up off of waivers.

I think we said the same thing. 

17 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Well, I'm sure the fact that he's 34 doesn't help.  But he looked plenty capable when he was forced to start games last year, but yeah, point taken, you don't want him getting hit 300+ times a season.  It's an interesting discussion point, and it definitely makes you think.  Is it worth taking a chance and getting a guy that could turn out to be an all-purpose back, or someone that will ultimately be more a specialized/gadget type player.  To me, a lot of it depends on the system and I think Doug's system benefits greatly in having a back that can create mismatches,  effectively run screens and keep the defense guessing.  That's part of why I was so low on us signing Blount, even if it seems he's a nice complement on paper to the other guys.

As high as my hopes are for Sindey Jones, I kinda wish we drafted Cook.

Don't shoot the messenger.

From Pumphrey:

Honestly, I feel like it comes down to this last game," Pumphrey said. "Corey [Clement has] been playing really well, practiced really well this whole camp. Byron (Marshall) has showed up a lot as well. I have to bring my A-game this week."

FYI last time a rookie 4th rounder was cut was 1997. So it's not impossible but it's extremely rare. 

• 3 weeks later...

NFL insider Adam Caplan recently said on his CapCast podcast that a change could be coming to the Philadelphia Eagles’ running back rotation. The change? More Corey Clement, less LeGarrette Blount.

Now, looking at the running back situation. I’m telling you this is what’s going to happen here. If LeGarrette Blount does not start to perform at a higher level, he’s going to get his role split in half.

What they’re probably going to wind up doing if Blount goes not get his job done, starting this game, you’re going to start seeing not only Wendell Smallwood, who they’ve always planned to have a bigger role than he certainly had last year, but Corey Clement, the undrafted free agent out of Wisconsin, who had a great week out of special teams last week against the Redskins.

You’re going to see [Clement] cut in to Blount’s role on first and second down. Because they want to pound the rock. It’s not that they want to run the ball more than they did last year; they want to be more efficient on the early downs. You’re going to see Clement cut into [Blount’s playing time] if it doesn’t get better.

Archived