Eagles RBs

Bednarik60

Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson dismissed speculation that LeGarrette Blount could be on the roster bubble.

"I mean, the guy is a beast of a runner," Pederson said Tuesday when asked about Blount's roster security, via the Philly Voice. "I don't know what else to tell you. [He had] 18 touchdowns, 15 in the red zone, last year. That's the production. You saw yesterday the style of running that he can do.

"And the other thing is, we're not game-planning these [preseason] games, so it's really hard going into a game saying, 'This is best against this team.' We're trying to execute our plays. As coaches, we might be doing our players an injustice by putting them in bad situations. But you saw what he's done the last couple of days.

"I'm excited he's here, and he's going to be a big part of our offense."

Coaches call plays to see situational how certain players do, but where that gets confused is when for instance Blount is taking a pich play out wide, fans are assuming that play is designed to see how Blount does but in reality it has nothing to do with Blount,  they are seeing how the tackle and tight end seal or if there is a pull on the pitch how do the center and guard get around, has something nothing to do with the guy carrying the ball, just situational football/match ups/technique at different positions the coaches are looking at. But sometimes it has everything to do with the running back, just depends, its very play to play, position to pisition, scenario to scenario(what is the other team running with who). 

2 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Coaches call plays to see situational how certain players do, but where that gets confused is when for instance Blount is taking a pich play out wide, fans are assuming that play is designed to see how Blount does but in reality it has nothing to do with Blount,  they are seeing how the tackle and tight end seal or if there is a pull on the pitch how do the center and guard get around, has something nothing to do with the guy carrying the ball, just situational football/match ups/technique at different positions the coaches are looking at. But sometimes it has everything to do with the running back, just depends, its very play to play, position to pisition, scenario to scenario(what is the other team running with who). 

Exactly. They could be studying how the far side WR is run blocking for all we know. 

Just like Sam goes 10-10 against the Packers and we were going 12-4 and going to the SB this isn't anything to get exaggerated about. It's just preseason. Health is our only concern. Everything else will come out in the wash. 

The only thing from the preseason that we'll see in the regular season is the darn WR reverse to Agholor. We run it every game lol and even saw it last year. I don't know why Doug loves that play so much it never works.

3 hours ago, Phire said:

The only thing from the preseason that we'll see in the regular season is the darn WR reverse to Agholor. We run it every game lol and even saw it last year. I don't know why Doug loves that play so much it never works.

"WR Reverse, some one say WR reverse? i like  WR reverses."

source.gif

22 hours ago, Danger said:

Truthfully, I was never really fond of the Pumphrey pick, especially not trading up for him.

I didn't like it then, still don't like it now. While I'm not totally on board with the Chip size prototype there is something to be said for drafting guys that don't start out with such a big disadvantage.

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I didn't like it then, still don't like it now. While I'm not totally on board with the Chip size prototype there is something to be said for drafting guys that don't start out with such a big disadvantage.

I just think a guy like Pumphrey needs time in the NFL and a proper year of weight training.  Brian Westbrook didn't dominate starting his rookie year either.  He needs to thicken up.

36 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I just think a guy like Pumphrey needs time in the NFL and a proper year of weight training.  Brian Westbrook didn't dominate starting his rookie year either.  He needs to thicken up.

Westbrook was 200lbs coming out. Pumphrey is ~30 pounds less.

36 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Agreed. Think he's a waste of a spot this year.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

Westbrook was 200lbs coming out. Pumphrey is ~30 pounds less.

Yeah, Westbrook was definitely a bit thicker already coming out, but still, if you look at him over the course of his career, his legs turned into tree trunks. 

But even still, Sproles fits into the same camp and was the same round pick as Pumphrey.  He hardly got on the field his first two years in the NFL, outside of returns.

I think Pump could add the same value starting out, but he needs to get bigger before he's depended on running the ball out of the backfield.

14 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Yeah, Westbrook was definitely a bit thicker already coming out, but still, if you look at him over the course of his career, his legs turned into tree trunks. 

But even still, Sproles fits into the same camp and was the same round pick as Pumphrey.  He hardly got on the field his first two years in the NFL, outside of returns.

I think Pump could add the same value starting out, but he needs to get bigger before he's depended on running the ball out of the backfield.

Sproles is definitely the obvious and easy comparison but if that's the upside of the pick why make it?

Don't get me wrong I love what Sproles brings to the table as a change of pace and a Swiss Army knife if you will but my personal preference is to pick players with the upside to become starters, not just contributors. Considering the uphill battle most 4th round picks have to make the roster anyway we're talking in "best case scenario" but would you rather have a best case scenario Darren Sproles or Devonta Freeman/Lamar Miller?

I don't understand the rationale between taking Pumphrey who needs a couple years on the bench to even be a reliable contributor and someone like Jamal Williams taken by the Packers two picks later with legitimate upside to challenge Ty Montgomery this season as the starting RB.

28 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't understand the rationale between taking Pumphrey who needs a couple years on the bench to even be a reliable contributor and someone like Jamal Williams taken by the Packers two picks later with legitimate upside to challenge Ty Montgomery this season as the starting RB.

Between DougieP and the FO/scouting dept someone legitimately said that he's multi-dimensional back. As I've said he'll need time to develop. But I agree missed opportunity there. 

I'm not going to put Clement's 3.1 ypc on the 53 either. We'll be looking at the waiver wire when time comes to drop to 53. Pump will get a ton of touches vs the Jets to get that phantom injury.  

There will be a ton of RBs getting left off rosters, we need to find one that could catch kickoffs as well.  

Archived