Where does LeBron James rank each year as a player?

Justin4

Where do you rank LeBron James each year from his rookie season to last season?

My opinion

03-04: Top 25-30

04-05: Top 10

05-06: Top 4

06-07: Top 5

07-08: Top 2 ( Behind Kobe)

08-09: 1

09-10: 1

10-11: 1

11-12: 1

12-13: 1

13-14: 1

14-15: 1

15-16: 1

16-17: 1

17-18: 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think you are overthinking things.  He was probably top 5 his rookie year, and top 2 for a year or two and then the best player in the game since.  He doubled his teams win total in his first year, he had them in the ECF by year 3.  And those teams were trash without him. 

LeBron was not a top 5 player his rookie season. 

To me he has been the best player since 08-09. Before that it was Duncan/Kobe during his first few years of his career. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LeBron was not a top 5 player his rookie season. 

To me he has been the best player since 08-09. Before that it was Duncan/Kobe during his first few years of his career. 

Perhaps PER wise, but was most top 5 impactful on his team. Turning around that awful Cavs team so quickly showed he was a stud and a top player in the league, just on a bad team.  If so, that's the only argument and he was still top 10/15.  After that he was top 5 and then top 2/1 the rest of his career. He has been top 2 in EWA since 05-06, top 4 in PER since then. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Perhaps PER wise, but was most top 5 impactful on his team. Turning around that awful Cavs team so quickly showed he was a stud and a top player in the league, just on a bad team.  If so, that's the only argument and he was still top 10/15.  After that he was top 5 and then top 2/1 the rest of his career. He has been top 2 in EWA since 05-06, top 4 in PER since then. 

No, that is not the only argument. He simply wasn't a top 5 player his rookie season. He was not better than Kobe/Shaq/Dirk/KG/T-Mac/Kidd/etc. His second season though? That's a different story. 

5 hours ago, Justin4 said:

Where do you rank LeBron James each year from his rookie season to last season?

My opinion

03-04: Top 25-30

04-05: Top 10

05-06: Top 4

06-07: Top 5

07-08: Top 2 ( Behind Kobe)

08-09: 1

09-10: 1

10-11: 1

11-12: 1

12-13: 1

13-14: 1

14-15: 1

15-16: 1

16-17: 1

17-18: 1

No one welcomes the new guy???? Welcome.

I have KD above Lebron in one of those years, 16-17. maybe 1 or 2 more. I know I am in the minority.

If we go year by year on his stats/PER, you would have to bounce around more in the later years, still top 5.  If its about where his skill level is as a player, there is no doubt he was the best player in the league by year 3, and top 3 his second, and top 10 his first.  It was clear watching him.  Kobe had the only argument for a while, but even he didn't have the all around game that Lebron had/has. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It's been #1 for nearly a decade now, but more interesting question would be to rank him each regular season. Is he even top 5 this year?

Even if he doesn't try his best on defense and Coast a lot you still got to say he's top five easy. Because of his overall impact to his team. And I hate that egomaniac

He certainly hasn't been the best regular season player for the last 4 or 5 years, but if you take his playoff impact into account, he probably still needs to be #1 each of those seasons.

Year 1: Top 30
Year 2: Top 6
Year 3: Top 3
Year 4: Top 3
Year 5 through Year 15: #1

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

He certainly hasn't been the best regular season player for the last 4 or 5 years, but if you take his playoff impact into account, he probably still needs to be #1 each of those seasons.

Year 1: Top 30
Year 2: Top 6
Year 3: Top 3
Year 4: Top 3
Year 5 through Year 15: #1

Pretty much this. Except I honestly don't think Top 30 is high enough for his rookie year, probably something more like Top 20.

Also, can we just admire the fact that while Lebron is consistently the best regular season player in the league, he's always at the very least top 5 and he does that while giving maybe 70% effort throughout the regular season. You could fault him for coasting if you'd like, but I think he's a genius. He knows the load he will have to carry in the playoffs and he prepares himself for it. Hell, we don't see more than 85%-90% Lebron in most playoff games, because he has to conserve himself that badly. He is something SO SO special. I respect guys who give it their all every night, clearly. That's awesome. But the fact that Lebron is better than a HOF talent like Westbrook, who gives it his all every single night, when coasting through the regular season is just outrageous (and that's obviously just on example).

Archived