Patrick Mahomes II vs Jared Goff

Chiefer

Whos Better?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Whos Better?

• Patrick Mahomes
    • Jared Goff

This thread was a bad case of recency bias, after the Rams vs Chiefs game, with many people kinda depicting Mahomes as a Wow player but reckless and prone to turnovers and mentioning Goff as less prone to mistakes.

Here we are a few weeks later with Goff about to finish the season with more INTs than Mahomes, just as many fumbles, and obviously many less TDs.

I still think highly of Goff but there is just no way that guy will be equal or better than Mahomes.

Mahomes has obviously superior physical tools but even mentally, I can tell he is stronger than Goff.

I guess someone could say that in my turn I am showing recency bias but really when I look at the global picture, that's my opinion of this comparison.

I mean I do think that over their career, Mahomes will likely throw more INTs because of his style of play but I am not even sure about that. I do know that Mahomes will throw a lot more TDs that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious to know how Rams fans are feeling about their take in this thread. 

I don't know I pretty much read it all this thread, reading that Goff is far less prone to mistakes than Mahomes but here we are with Goff finishing the season with three more TOs and Mahomes having almost double the TD-TOs ratio that Goff has.

I read Goff being more mentally tough than Mahomes. Goff being compared to Manning.

Have you Rams fans cooled on your takes or not at all? All of you said you prefer Goff to Mahomes.

1 hour ago, Buckweath said:

I am curious to know how Rams fans are feeling about their take in this thread. 

I don't know I pretty much read it all this thread, reading that Goff is far less prone to mistakes than Mahomes but here we are with Goff finishing the season with three more TOs and Mahomes having almost double the TD-TOs ratio that Goff has.

I read Goff being more mentally tough than Mahomes. Goff being compared to Manning.

Have you Rams fans cooled on your takes or not at all? All of you said you prefer Goff to Mahomes.

Still prefer Goff to Mahomes. He hit a slump for three games. Every QB has bumps. Mahomes will hit his too. It’s about how they rebound. 

Goff made more turnovers, sure. But Goff also had less turnovers when both of them played each other and the game was on the line.  Goff has been more successful on the big stage. Even with the past two Sunday night games. Goff is still more accurate  

Mahomes has had a terrific season. No doubt about it. But look at where Goff was 2 years ago to where he is now. 

Stats and overall play wise, Mahomes can’t go too much higher, but we also haven’t seen his lows, yet. 

5 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Still prefer Goff to Mahomes. He hit a slump for three games. Every QB has bumps. Mahomes will hit his too. It’s about how they rebound. 

Goff made more turnovers, sure. But Goff also had less turnovers when both of them played each other and the game was on the line.  Goff has been more successful on the big stage. Even with the past two Sunday night games. Goff is still more accurate  

Mahomes has had a terrific season. No doubt about it. But look at where Goff was 2 years ago to where he is now. 

Stats and overall play wise, Mahomes can’t go too much higher, but we also haven’t seen his lows, yet. 

I wonder where Mahomes will be two years from now.

He could break all the records

19 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Oh you have seen his lows. He is just that good.

Only if his supporting cast got drastically worse would we see him have an actual real bad game.

Expect more of the same moving forward.

He is greatness before our eyes.

I'm taking Goff. Baker and Goff to me are the top 2 young qbs. Mahomes looks to have the makeup of a great qb. The physical tools are obvious. But anyone ignoring the benefit of that system and how on a historic level how many wide open throws is being dishonest. Meanwhile, i honestly dont recall in my 26 years of tracking football have seen someone throw so many accurate passes in tight windows. I remember when my Chargers played them he was completing pass after pass and i didnt know how as coverage was tighter than a virgin nurse. But then i saw him doing it all year. He fell off end of the year. Mahomes fell off to. But Mahomes decline was less substanial than Goffs.

But to me the best sign of great qb play, is how good are they when throwing in tight coverage and how frequently do they do it. His AGG% was not high. But i just believe based on eye test. He is as good of a tight coverage thrower this year as ive seen.

Mahomes is an artist at the position. I just dont know if that art is sustainable. If he is highly productive again next year and efficient, im all on board unfortunately on mahomes mania.

17 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Mahomes is an artist at the position. I just dont know if that art is sustainable. If he is highly productive again next year and efficient, im all on board unfortunately on mahomes mania.

This is an extremely fair and accurate assessment.  Whether some people want to admit it or not, it's more probable for Mahomes to regress some towards the mean next season than that he'll maintain or exceed his 2018 totals.  I'm not saying there's going to be a massive drop-off in his game, but Chiefs fans this year acting (for their sake I hope some of this is playful sarcasm) like his production is almost certain to stay the same or improve next season need look no further than Eagles fans pre-Wentz injury last year... and then Wentz this season - and not all that drop-off was rust from the injury-return.

Teams have a full season of tape on Mahomes (and more importantly the Chiefs offense with Mahomes in it) now, which more than likely the frequency with which those shovel passes right off the snap to an RB who then did the hard work and took the ball in for the TD that was still credited as a "passing TD" are successful likely decreases.  And that's at the very least, but that alone being less effective would have had him closer to Luck's and Wilson's totals in passing TD's than to Peyton's record.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

This is an extremely fair and accurate assessment.  Whether some people want to admit it or not, it's more probable for Mahomes to regress some towards the mean next season than that he'll maintain or exceed his 2018 totals.  I'm not saying there's going to be a massive drop-off in his game, but Chiefs fans this year acting (for their sake I hope some of this is playful sarcasm) like his production is almost certain to stay the same or improve next season need look no further than Eagles fans pre-Wentz injury last year... and then Wentz this season - and not all that drop-off was rust from the injury-return.

Teams have a full season of tape on Mahomes (and more importantly the Chiefs offense with Mahomes in it) now, which more than likely the frequency with which those shovel passes right off the snap to an RB who then did the hard work and took the ball in for the TD that was still credited as a "passing TD" are successful likely decreases.  And that's at the very least, but that alone being less effective would have had him closer to Luck's and Wilson's totals in passing TD's than to Peyton's record.

Reids always got a new gimmick in his bag of tricks. Year before that was the TE shovel pass, etc. Hes A real student of the game, im sure hell have something 'new' to start the year to spark the offense.

Even if you take those out hes still hitting 47 touch downs. So dont know where youre getting such a big decrease in TDs from... 

Fair point though otherwise. Well see how he does in his 3rd year. I think this is only just the beginning. Nobody has ever repeated this sorta success though.

Archived