Patrick Mahomes II vs Jared Goff

Chiefer

Whos Better?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Whos Better?

• Patrick Mahomes
    • Jared Goff

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

What people are saying of Mahomes now, They were saying of Watson last year. Beware the ides of march. 

With that said, If i had to pick whose more talented it'll be Mahomes. Still though Goff is bae, And for him to play at this level at the age of 

24 is fire. He's going to destroy the season he had last year, Which was excellent. 

Watson only made it 6 games and was statistically worse in basically every way. And Watson is still doing very well this year, honestly.

Mahomes is almost at a full season of starts at this level of production, so I think we're past the Watson comparisons now.

34 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Mahomes does have a stronger arm but there is no way his accuracy is on the same level as Goff. 

Anyone who thinks that doesn’t watch rams/chiefs games.  

I’d be willling to bet if someone shut down (somehow) Hill that Mahomes wouldn’t be as productive.  It’s like Wentz with Ertz. 

You Rams fans are trying to defend your QB the best you can and Goff indeed is a very good QB and very accurate, granted he has completely missed some throws at times this year.

But to be honest, I am not sure Mahomes is any less accurate. Mahomes has missed a few throws this season, thinking of that deep throw to Watkins against the Steelers, but overall he is really accurate with pinpoint lasers.

But all in all, Mahomes is the furthest thing from a system QB. He can thrive when pressured, can destroy you inside or outside the pocket, he can run. He is very lucky to have all those weapons but he is a QB who makes things go. He would be great with below-average weapons. He would make those below-average weapons great if you see what I mean (a bit like Albert Wilson in week 17 last year). He would be great (as he already is) with a below-average OL (again I'm thinking of those matchups against the Broncos, including last year).

I agree though that he will likely throw more interceptions than Goff during his career as it comes with the style of play but he can do so much more than Goff.

I am telling you. He might be the next big thing.  And I usually don't use those words lightly. 

It's him or Wentz in my book.

Personally, I'd say Mahomes. But, I'm a Chiefs fan. I'd expect Rams fans to all say Goff. For everyone in the middle, I think it's fair to say it's a matter of preference. The one argument I could really make for Mahomes going forward over Goff, is he's actually a year behind in development, and is justifying this conversation. Goff is at year 3 with 33 starts, Mahomes at year 2 with 12 starts. The fact that it's a discussion is impressive on Mahomes's part, especially with how raw he was coming into the league.

But, I'm sure someone like jrry could poke holes in that. It's really a toss up, at this stage. And I agree with those that have said this will be a debate for years. Though, with how Chief and Ram fans have interacted over the past few days, and in the dozens of comparison threads between the two teams we have this year, I think it will be a little more civil than Peyton v. Brady.

2 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

You Rams fans are trying to defend your QB the best you can and Goff indeed is a very good QB and very accurate, granted he has completely missed some throws at times this year.

But to be honest, I am not sure Mahomes is any less accurate. Mahomes has missed a few throws this season, thinking of that deep throw to Watkins against the Steelers, but overall he is really accurate with pinpoint lasers.

But all in all, Mahomes is the furthest thing from a system QB. He can thrive when pressured, can destroy you inside or outside the pocket, he can run. He is very lucky to have all those weapons but he is a QB who makes things go. He would be great with below-average weapons. He would make those below-average weapons great if you see what I mean (a bit like Albert Wilson in week 17 last year). He would be great (as he already is) with a below-average OL (again I'm thinking of those matchups against the Broncos, including last year).

I agree though that he will likely throw more interceptions than Goff during his career as it comes with the style of play but he can do so much more than Goff.

I am telling you. He might be the next big thing.  And I usually don't use those words lightly. 

It's him or Wentz in my book.

I think with Mahomes, his accuracy is a little less consistent than Goff's, at this stage. Goff's ball placement is probably his greatest attribute. People were lighting up Scandrick on Twitter after those first two touchdowns, but the most impressive thing is how well placed those passes were. Completely uncontestable. Good coverage, but no stopping the pass. And watching Goff, I feel like almost all of his passes are placed about as well as they can be.

Mahomes is entirely capable of that kind of ball placement and pinpoint accuracy. And I feel like he shows that most strongly in the red zone. But it isn't as consistent as Goff. He's had some throws that could've been better placed. And I'm still talking catchable throws. They aren't inaccurate by any means. But the kinds of passes where Hill has had to contort his body a bit to get it, where it could've been cleanly in stride to make it an easier catch.

It's a small difference, but I do think it's there. And it's nitpicking, we're basically comparing a guy who might be top 5 in ball placement with a guy who might be #1. It's like pointing out that Goff has a weaker arm. It's not weak, just not as ridiculously strong as Mahomes. And this is also something that Mahomes can definitely clean up in time. But right now, it's there.

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Watson only made it 6 games and was statistically worse in basically every way. And Watson is still doing very well this year, honestly.

Mahomes is almost at a full season of starts at this level of production, so I think we're past the Watson comparisons now.

Not really. Not till next year. Goff has gotten better. We have yet to see how Mahomes transcends 

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

Not really. Not till next year. Goff has gotten better. We have yet to see how Mahomes transcends 

So you're saying you agree that Aaron Donald couldn't have been elite in 2014. We didn't yet see how he would transcend.

;)

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So you're saying you agree that Aaron Donald couldn't have been elite in 2014. We didn't yet see how he would transcend.

;)

Are you really trying to compare though? We could very well see Mahomes fall off specially if Reid is fired after this season, for his lack of success in the postseason! Which could very well happen. Unless you don’t think that’s a possibility! After all Reid has always been known for being a groom and never the wife’. 

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Are you really trying to compare though? We could very well see Mahomes fall off specially if Reid is fired after this season, for his lack of success in the postseason! Which could very well happen. Unless you don’t think that’s a possibility! After all Reid has always been known for being a groom and never the wife’. 

I am 100% confident that Reid does not get fired. This season has drastically exceeded expectations.

I'm just laughing at you trying to convince me that we need to wait and see because the young player playing at an elite level might not keep it up. The irony.

Love our system QB and hope people keep over looking him and down playing his abilities. Honestly people are complaining that’s he’s missed throws? Every QB does that’s nonsense. He won’t succeed without a great line or talented receivers or McVay? Yeah please keep making excuses to not give him credit. Kid is 24 and having an amazing year, some of his completions are passes that other QBs wish they could make.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I am 100% confident that Reid does not get fired. This season has drastically exceeded expectations.

I'm just laughing at you trying to convince me that we need to wait and see because the young player playing at an elite level might not keep it up. The irony.

Wouldn’t the irony be you jumping into that wagon lol? And ace is an ace 😁🥝

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Love our system QB and hope people keep over looking him and down playing his abilities. Honestly people are complaining that’s he’s missed throws? Every QB does that’s nonsense. He won’t succeed without a great line or talented receivers or McVay? Yeah please keep making excuses to not give him credit. Kid is 24 and having an amazing year, some of his completions are passes that MOST QBs wish they could make.

Fixed

7 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

Mahomes easily.

He can do things with the football that Goff could only dream of and he does it consistently.

Goff is more consistent and steady. He wont have alot of WOW! moments like Mahomes but he wont have alot of OH NO! moments either. I saw a stat that said Mahomes gets worst when he has 2.5 seconds or longer to throw the ball. Goff is amazing when he has 2.5 seconds or longer to throw the ball. That tells me when Mahomes has alot of time to think he makes bad decisions. When Goff has alot of time to think he is scary good with the football. As a fan I want my QB to have time in the pocket to go through his reads and carve up defenses. What I dont want is when my QB has time in the pocket, Im afraid he is going to hurt the team more times than not. It just doesnt make sense. People are comparing Mahomes to Favre and ARod just compared Mahomes to a younger him. Thats great but at the same time not so great. Do you know that Favre and ARod has losing records on the road? So far the two biggest games of Mahomes young career at New England and at LA Rams, he has turned the ball over 7 times and is (0-2). Another big game at Denver even though the Chiefs won, it was the first time Mahomes didnt look great and the team was trailing by 10pts in the 4th quarter. People will say how Mahomes led the team from behind to win the game. I will say the Broncos cost themselves the win. You do realize Keenum missed a wide open Thomas down the field late in the game. Had he connected on that play it wouldve been a td and the Broncos win that game. 

Point Im trying to make is Mahomes is great but he has more moments where he makes you pull your hair out. On the flip side, Goff is steady. He isnt all that flashy but he just gets the job done. He isnt that lightening rod turnover machine that Mahomes can be. Under McVay, Goff has (2) multiple interception games. Mahomes already has (3) multiple interception games. Turnovers are HUGE especially when you are playing against some of the better teams in the NFL. You can just turn the ball over and lose the turnover battle, especially when your defense isnt all that good. I just feel like the way Mahomes plays he is going to continue to be that lightening rod that has the tendencies to turn the ball over alot. Yes he might go through a few stretches where he dont turn the ball over at all but then he will follow that up with stretches where he turn the ball over a bunch. Thats just how he is. As for as Goff goes, he just takes care of the ball and dont give the opposing team any momentum or put them in great position to score. So I trust Goff more than Mahomes. But there is no doubting his talent and I do love Mahomes but I want the guy that I can trust the most in games to not let me down. Both guys are going to deliver more times than not with the coaching they have, the system, and the talent they have around them. It comes do to which QB will make the fewest mistakes. That QB to me is Goff. I dont know if you know this but Goff has the most wins from the start of the 2017 to now than any other QB in the NFL. Thats not by accident. 

I'll take Mahomes, he looks to be the best young NFL QB in the league now and in the future. In other words, he strikes me as a special talent. I'm not sure I can say the same about Goff yet, who appears to be a great young QB, but he just doesn't have the same wow factor when watching him play. I will say Goff's ball placement has been great though.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:22 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Love our system QB and hope people keep over looking him and down playing his abilities. Honestly people are complaining that’s he’s missed throws? Every QB does that’s nonsense. He won’t succeed without a great line or talented receivers or McVay? Yeah please keep making excuses to not give him credit. Kid is 24 and having an amazing year, some of his completions are passes that other QBs wish they could make.

I will say this. Goff does extremely well with the pieces he is given.

A taller Drew Brees if you will.

12 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Goff is more consistent and steady. He wont have alot of WOW! moments like Mahomes but he wont have alot of OH NO! moments either. I saw a stat that said Mahomes gets worst when he has 2.5 seconds or longer to throw the ball. Goff is amazing when he has 2.5 seconds or longer to throw the ball. That tells me when Mahomes has alot of time to think he makes bad decisions. When Goff has alot of time to think he is scary good with the football. As a fan I want my QB to have time in the pocket to go through his reads and carve up defenses. What I dont want is when my QB has time in the pocket, Im afraid he is going to hurt the team more times than not. It just doesnt make sense. People are comparing Mahomes to Favre and ARod just compared Mahomes to a younger him. Thats great but at the same time not so great. Do you know that Favre and ARod has losing records on the road? So far the two biggest games of Mahomes young career at New England and at LA Rams, he has turned the ball over 7 times and is (0-2). Another big game at Denver even though the Chiefs won, it was the first time Mahomes didnt look great and the team was trailing by 10pts in the 4th quarter. People will say how Mahomes led the team from behind to win the game. I will say the Broncos cost themselves the win. You do realize Keenum missed a wide open Thomas down the field late in the game. Had he connected on that play it wouldve been a td and the Broncos win that game. 

Point Im trying to make is Mahomes is great but he has more moments where he makes you pull your hair out. On the flip side, Goff is steady. He isnt all that flashy but he just gets the job done. He isnt that lightening rod turnover machine that Mahomes can be. Under McVay, Goff has (2) multiple interception games. Mahomes already has (3) multiple interception games. Turnovers are HUGE especially when you are playing against some of the better teams in the NFL. You can just turn the ball over and lose the turnover battle, especially when your defense isnt all that good. I just feel like the way Mahomes plays he is going to continue to be that lightening rod that has the tendencies to turn the ball over alot. Yes he might go through a few stretches where he dont turn the ball over at all but then he will follow that up with stretches where he turn the ball over a bunch. Thats just how he is. As for as Goff goes, he just takes care of the ball and dont give the opposing team any momentum or put them in great position to score. So I trust Goff more than Mahomes. But there is no doubting his talent and I do love Mahomes but I want the guy that I can trust the most in games to not let me down. Both guys are going to deliver more times than not with the coaching they have, the system, and the talent they have around them. It comes do to which QB will make the fewest mistakes. That QB to me is Goff. I dont know if you know this but Goff has the most wins from the start of the 2017 to now than any other QB in the NFL. Thats not by accident. 

Well, I think McVays system does a very good job of putting Goff in good situations.

Its vast, creative and exploits mismatches as good as it gets.

If qbs switched teams, Mahomes could probably do just as well if not better in McVays system.

His arm talent is exceedingly rare and he can read defenses well already.

Favre and Rodgers never had the supporting cast Mahomes has and he only is a rookie.

Turnovers will go down as Mahomes plays more games.

Goff is good thrower of the fb but he isn't special at the NFL like Mahomes at all.

Woods, Kupp, Cook, Gurley

Give mahomes those weapons.....

Archived