Patrick Mahomes II vs Jared Goff

Chiefer

Whos Better?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Whos Better?

• Patrick Mahomes
    • Jared Goff

I'll take Mahomes I guess. Both guys are accurate, athletic, and go through reads quickly, so I'll go with the better arm. 

I'd be very surprised if either of these guys touches the Brady threshold in their careers, no matter how good they are. The only guy in the NFL right now with a chance to get there is Danny Etling, obviously.

Not so sure I'd take Mahomes.  Goff really impresses with his accuracy.  Mahomes is the most entertaining player in the league, and does things almost no one else can do with his physical talent, but it's yet to be seen if he goes the Favre route or the Rodgers route.  

I am sure people love believing that they are seeing history with this guy.  Personally I find it hard to take because the rules are so ridiculously slanted to the offense.  You cannot touch the WR ever, the QBs cannot get hit and receivers cannot really get hit either.  Not to mention all the offensive changes which are allow because of the rule changes and what one can and cannot do.  I am all for safety and improving players quality of life with not getting head injuries, but something has to change where it gives the defense a chance.  Mahomes and Goff are not the only QBs doing ridiculously well this year, tons of guys are having success and basically ever single rookie is or has had good success in a game or two.  Heck the 49ers have had three different QBs, one third string UDFA and they have all had success.  So yeah sure Mahomes is a interesting talent but best of all time?  Little early for that one, put him on the Bills and he would not be as good.  Just like Goff, take him off the Rams insert another QB and they would have possibly similar success he is having.  Think Tim Couch would not of had a better NFL career in this NFL?  Ummm yeah he would have, but played when the game was clearly a little different.  Will see what happens come Playoff time with Mahomes and Goff....

Drew Brees has threw for 5000 yards in a season five times in his career from 2008-2016.  Dan Marino did it once in freaking 1984.  Then the rest are Tom Brady one time, Matthew Stafford one time and Peyton Manning one time.  Total of nine times in NFL history a QB threw for over 5000 yards.  Drew starting his run when the rules were becoming more and more slanted to the offense and putting up stats, but still that level of consistency is impressive.  But Dan Marino doing it in 1984, when defenders could be all over the WR, hit them coming across the middle much less the hits allowed on the QB....  To me it is like baseball, the stats being put up now in the NFL should almost have a (*) by them just like steroids and baseball, because it is simply not the same game it was before.  Again some parts of that is great in terms of health but freaking give the defense a chance and allow a little more contact with the receivers....

Is it fun to watch teams score every time they touch the ball?  I would say no it is not, just like the Super Bowl this past year, no one stopped anyone yet it the fantasy football age of today that is great?  I do not agree.

I love Mahomes BUT Im taking Goff. I remember when the Rams traded up to get Goff in 2016, it was reported that the Rams FO decided to trade up in that draft because Goff and Wentz was better than the QB class in 2017 (Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes). 

Mahomes is so fun to watch but he has that WOW! as well as that OH NO! factor to him. Goff on the other hand makes far less mistakes even though his WOW! isnt as much as Mahomes. Ill take that especially in big time games. As someone today mentioned, in the two biggest games of the season for Mahomes (Patriots and Rams), he has turned the ball over 7 times. That just cant happen. I know the Chiefs still put up a ton of points but its hard to overcome the penalties that the Chiefs rack up plus Mahomes turning the ball over on the road in big games.

You want to know why the Rams went into New Orleans down by 21pts and stormed all the way back to tie the game in the 4th quarter? Because outside of that one great play by the Saints defender to intercept Goff, there were no mistakes on offense. Goff didnt get sack or frequently turn the ball over. Unlike Wentz or Smith who both came into the Superdome and turned the ball over frequently and got ran out of the building. 

So again I love Mahomes BUT Goff is the guy I want because I trust that he will make the smart plays sprinkled in some WOW! plays rather than making a ton of WOW! plays but also having a ton of OH NO! plays that hurt the team especially on the road in big time games. 

I have only watched a few games of each.

Mahomes - more of a gunslinger with some risk , so if thats for your team, why not in todays game. Dangerous throwing on the run and out of the pocket

Goff - appears to be more accurate and less prone to TO's.  Not as mobile, but accurate and makes good decisions

Both have bright futures and I wouldn't be surprised if a few SB's are won by them eventually.

Ultimately, what matters more is how they play in the playoffs and under pressure vs the best teams.  Then their respective defences also have to be able to keep the opposition from scoring too much. I expect both of these players to get around 40 TD's a season but Mahomes could get 50+ more often than Goff. 

People are sleeping on Mahomes. I am telling you.

And people don't seem to take into account that he is a year younger than Goff and in his first year starting compared to Goff's now in his third season starting.

I have zero doubt that short of injury, Mahomes will be better and maybe a lot better. I am that confident.

3 hours ago, Buckweath said:

People are sleeping on Mahomes. I am telling you.

And people don't seem to take into account that he is a year younger than Goff and in his first year starting compared to Goff's now in his third season starting.

I have zero doubt that short of injury, Mahomes will be better and maybe a lot better. I am that confident.

If Mahomes is in his first year starting, Goff is in his second year starting. People aren't sleeping on Mahomes. He's getting plenty of credit. People just don't share your opinion on the kid. Maybe they're higher on Goff than you. Maybe they're lower on Mahomes than you. I'll take Goff going forward.

I’d lean Mahomes. Just as accurate as Goff and throws TD’s at a much higher clip, but just plays more reckless because of his athleticism and insane arm talent that causes him to think he can squeeze the ball in places he really shouldn’t. I don’t blame anyone for going Goff though he’s great in his own right.

Honestly feels like a better version of 1995 Brett Favre that throws more touchdowns and is more accurate vs 2016 Matt Ryan. Can’t go wrong with either.

If Mahomes is Favre or Rodgers with the big play ability then Goff is Manning or Brady with his understanding of the game and accuracy. 

Mahomes has that big play ability no doubt. Mahomes has the body and talent but Goff has the awareness and is more mentally tough. 

Cant go wrong with either one. I’m just happy we have Goff because history sides with his type of QB. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Both benefit from great surrounding casts and coaching. Mahomes is more talented and fun to watch. He has The best arm to come into the league since Aaron Rodgers. Goff is more like Matt Ryan. 

Goff is more like Peyton Manning.

Archived