Week 12: Jacksonville Jaguars (3-7) @ Buffalo Bills (3-7) - Status Quo

Adrenaline_Flux

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

The good news is that the entire offseason should be offensive-oriented to a level we haven't seen before and that should be exciting.

Indeed.  We should be getting all sorts of shiny new toys.

I just hope there's an emphasis on QBs who can throw, and pass catchers who can catch.  Rather than QBs who are tall, and pass catchers who are fast.

This season went to **** because they cut depth and quality players, and then expected everyone to be healthy and as good/better than they were last year. When that didn't happen, the season was over.

And I thought that they drafted guys for depth. Realized recently that isn't the case; they drafted guys so they can save money in 2019. Taven Bryan was drafted so they can cut Malik. DJ Chark was drafted so they can cheap out on receiver next year and not continue to spend on a FA contract priced like Moncrief's. Ronnie Harrison was drafted so they could cut a Safety, probably Church. Will Richardson was drafted so they can cut Parnell. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

In what world is Cody Kessler a quality backup plan for Blake being bad? You know how I know he’s a terrible backup plan? Because the staff still won’t let him play despite Blake being the living embodiment of dog ****.

I literally said this was going to happen with the WRs this offseason. There were like 4 of us in the forum who spent all offseason railing on this, all predicting that these WRs would regress. But sure, you couldn’t account for it.

Depth for days on the DL? We have the depth to supply a normal rotation of players. That’s it.

He's a competent backup league wide, yes. Is he a guy you expect to come in and start if Blake sucks and lead you somewhere? Hell no. To expect a team to have that is pretty ludicrous I'd say. Teddy was pretty much the only option for that, or drafting Lamar in the 1st.

Our DL was considered among the best if not the best in the league depth wise. We just drafted a guy round one to backup Calais/Malik, we got Dareus/Abry, we had Ngakour and Fowler. Smoot was a 4th round pick that would be a solid depth guy pretty much league wide. Ankou is a solid depth piece.

Yes, we had depth. Even if you didn't believe in the top of the WR depth chart, we had a solid set of 6 guys who can and should be on a WR depth chart on most teams besides MAYBE Mickens who showed up big last year. 

You are moving the lines as far as talking about our depth. If you're talking starting/top end talent at certain spots fine. But those guys you list are definitely NFL caliber/bring solid depth to those positions.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

This season went to **** because they cut depth and quality players, and then expected everyone to be healthy and as good/better than they were last year. When that didn't happen, the season was over.

And I thought that they drafted guys for depth. Realized recently that isn't the case; they drafted guys so they can save money in 2019. Taven Bryan was drafted so they can cut Malik. DJ Chark was drafted so they can cheap out on receiver next year and not continue to spend on a FA contract priced like Moncrief's. Ronnie Harrison was drafted so they could cut a Safety, probably Church. Will Richardson was drafted so they can cut Parnell. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

Who did we cut that would have saved our season? lol

And I don't get why you're upset that we drafted for the future with this draft when you've been upset at our team for not planning enough for the future.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

sounds like they're in a state of flux 

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

And I don't get why you're upset that we drafted for the future with this draft when you've been upset at our team for not planning enough for the future.

Pretty obvious someone along the DL was primed to be let go after this year. Not sure what he expected there. He was drafted to bring depth while also keep the future in mind of a possible starting option to replace who is/will be cut.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He's a competent backup league wide, yes. Is he a guy you expect to come in and start if Blake sucks and lead you somewhere? Hell no. To expect a team to have that is pretty ludicrous I'd say. Teddy was pretty much the only option for that, or drafting Lamar in the 1st.

Or McCown. Or at least looking at guys like McCarron, Daniel or Glennon. How many of those types did we even look at though? A big fat zero. We decided instead to go cheap out and trade for a guy making $758,098 that offered exactly nothing as a potential safety net.

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Our DL was considered among the best if not the best in the league depth wise. We just drafted a guy round one to backup Calais/Malik, we got Dareus/Abry, we had Ngakour and Fowler. Smoot was a 4th round pick that would be a solid depth guy pretty much league wide. Ankou is a solid depth piece.

This is again This is again all rotational depth, which while yes is technically depth - it's also significantly different from what I'm talking about with depth as a backup plan.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yes, we had depth. Even if you didn't believe in the top of the WR depth chart, we had a solid set of 6 guys who can and should be on a WR depth chart on most teams besides MAYBE Mickens who showed up big last year. 

Should many of these receivers be on a depth chart? I mean sure. Should any of them be as high on a depth chart as they are? Nope.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not sure Kessler actually is a competent backup league-wide.  I'd put him somewhere in the vicinity of bottom-5, maybe bottom-10 if we're being generous and optimistic about him because he's still youngish.  There are some backups i'd have taken Kessler over, but not too many.  It's not like there's was a massive bidding war for this great backup's services among other teams either - we got him for barely anything.

But it goes back to context.  If you've got a firmly entrenched franchise QB starter that you've built around...maybe Kessler is "enough", and on an attractively cheap deal.  But we didn't have that.  We had a starter in Bortles who was still in a very precarious spot that could absolutely go sideways at any moment.  You need a better backup plan in that scenario.  That depth position becomes more critical by context, because you're likelier to need it, and an inadequate backup plan can tank your season.

Instead, they went with someone who is completely non-threatening to Bortles job security to avoid any sort of "QB controversy".  Non-threatening to the point that, as we've seen...they have zero desire to ever play this backup plan, no matter how badly Bortles continues to play.  Which is pretty much the ultimate condemnation of Kessler as a backup at this point.  And really shows how they really see Kessler as a "backup plan".

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Or McCown. Or at least looking at guys like McCarron, Daniel or Glennon. How many of those types did we even look at though? A big fat zero. We decided instead to go cheap out and trade for a guy making $758,098 that offered exactly nothing as a potential safety net.

This is again This is again all rotational depth, which while yes is technically depth - it's also significantly different from what I'm talking about with depth as a backup plan.

Should many of these receivers be on a depth chart? I mean sure. Should any of them be as high on a depth chart as they are? Nope.

McCown, Daniel, and Glennon don't provide us with any more of a safety net than Kessler though. They may be marginally better, but they aren't saving a season either if Blake does what he did this year either. Kessler isn't sitting right now because of talent, there's no way what we saw from Blake today is better than Kessler. They're sitting him because we just committed $ to Blake and stubborn on sitting him. No other way you can spin it imo. 

Malik, Dareus, Yannick, and Calais with Fowler/Abry/Bryan/McCray/Ankou/Smoot is much better than you're leading on going into the season. Much better.

Again, we lagged behind at WR at the top. We all knew this. I'm sure they did too. But there's other teams that don't have a #1/high end #2 WR on their roster too. We at least had a solid set of 6 guys with a highly drafted rookie and Dede/Cole who balled out as rookies with the arrow pointing up going into this year. 

15 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Hurns, Ivory, Marcedes, Robinson were all let go. Some of the moves as singular moves made sense to a certain degree. But them doing so while also not having a safety net in place is the problem.

My problem isn't just that they don't plan for the future. It's that they don't plan for anything except what is staring them directly in the face. They saw that they are 7 million over the cap next year, and decided that was all they needed to address in the draft, so they drafted 4 players at spots that they will be able to cut someone to save money. That's not exactly the forward thinking behavior that I'm asking for.

Archived