GDT - Week 12 - Steelers at Broncos

warfelg

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's a rough bit of luck, especially with Pouncey getting demolished on the 97 yarders to JuJu. Maybe Pouncey needs to lose more snaps?

I know Pouncey gets hate around here because of his salary but to suggest that he should “lose more snaps” (when the hell did he lose snaps in the first place?) is silly. These are literally the first two negative plays from him on the season. 

As for the 97 yarder: Broncos has a 0T over him, a 1T on his left and the MIKE on his right. Broncos were selling out with a run blitz up the A gaps. 

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I know Pouncey gets hate around here because of his salary but to suggest that he should “lose more snaps” (when the hell did he lose snaps in the first place?) is silly. These are literally the first two negative plays from him on the season. 

As for the 97 yarder: Broncos has a 0T over him, a 1T on his left and the MIKE on his right. Broncos were selling out with a run blitz up the A gaps. 

I was pretty clearly kidding. I didn't think I needed to add an emoji or an /s

I meant he should lose snaps to the guy across from him, like he did on the JuJu play. Not lose snaps to Finney or whatever backup.

Sorry for the DP, but it still stands here with all the comments made on Pouncey, I still have that policy that you don't make that change unless you know 100% that the replacement is better.  Or at least will give you the same production at a fraction of the cost.

Hence why I'm not keen on the idea of replacing Dupree mid season.  I don't know if Adynididifnifis (I have not clue what his name is) any better than Dupree, and Dupree is playing within what they are asking of him, so why make the change?  It's why I'm not keen on cutting Haden this offseason (I've seen it suggested).  It's why I'm against Tomlin going, because could there be better? Sure.  Do I know for sure? No.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Sorry there's usually a bunch of trashing on Pouncey so it's not easy to tell that it was a joke.

People who are trashing Pouncey  are not really watching what he does.  To think that Finney or Wallace were anywhere close to his athletic ability is insane.

11 hours ago, jebrick said:

People who are trashing Pouncey  are not really watching what he does.  To think that Finney or Wallace were anywhere close to his athletic ability is insane.

Pouncey isnt bad, but he is extremely overrated by many Steeler fans and casual fans who vote him into the pro bowl every year.   

15 hours ago, warfelg said:

These are literally the first two negative plays from him on the season. 

I dont have any way to back this up as of right now, but having watched every game this year, I can confidently say this is blatantly false.

Ok maybe they aren't the only two, but Pouncey has been having a very good year.

I truly believe (and I coach my players in this), if you are a starting OL or CB and people don't know your name, that means you are really good at your job.  How often have we heard Pouncey being talked about this year?

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

FS1 making a 'big deal' that Ben is 'throwing AB under the bus' for suggesting that Brown took a wrong route.

I Iove Ben, but his media time is cringe worthy. I don’t agree that it’s some big deal, but why can’t he ever shoulder ANY blame? 

As far as I know in option routes, it takes two to tango. Maybe Brown was wrong? Maybe ben just wants to be right? 

Ben throws another OC under the bus, and this is the OC that was elevated to the position because of his great relationship with the guy so they could get ride of the OC who had a bad relationship with Ben. 

Just own SOMETHING. I didn’t like his interception comments either. I am perfectly fine with Ben controlling the game, and I may not like how unbalanced we get at times but I accept success. The mentality is correct, but at some point If you want to Throw that much - you need to stop throwing it to the other jerseys. It’s just happening too often. My problem with it is that as much as ben does for us, we do have a successful run game, we do have a great oline, we do have a good running back...so while the mentality is correct, If you keep giving the ball away we need to explore our successes in another way — which we are very capable of doing.

There is just such a better way to handle things in public, but Ben just always comes off as if he does nothing wrong. It probably bothers me more because I believe the qb mentality should be shoulder everything. BEN works with the coordinator all week to develop the plan, BEN has control to get out of bad plays, BEN is the one that pulls the trigger into double coverage, BEN is the one who goes deep on 3rd and 5 late in the game....BEN is the head of it...own that to at least some extent. 

/rant 

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ok maybe they aren't the only two, but Pouncey has been having a very good year.

I truly believe (and I coach my players in this), if you are a starting OL or CB and people don't know your name, that means you are really good at your job.  How often have we heard Pouncey being talked about this year?

Pouncey hasnt been bad...I agree.

He usually isnt "bad" though.   He is always usually above average or somewhere around that.   This year Id say he has been good to very good overall.

I just think he is somewhat overpaid and definitely overhyped depending who you talk to.

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I Iove Ben, but his media time is cringe worthy. I don’t agree that it’s some big deal, but why can’t he ever shoulder ANY blame? 

As far as I know in option routes, it takes two to tango. Maybe Brown was wrong? Maybe ben just wants to be right? 

Ben throws another OC under the bus, and this is the OC that was elevated to the position because of his great relationship with the guy so they could get ride of the OC who had a bad relationship with Ben. 

Just own SOMETHING. I didn’t like his interception comments either. I am perfectly fine with Ben controlling the game, and I may not like how unbalanced we get at times but I accept success. The mentality is correct, but at some point If you want to Throw that much - you need to stop throwing it to the other jerseys. It’s just happening too often. My problem with it is that as much as ben does for us, we do have a successful run game, we do have a great oline, we do have a good running back...so while the mentality is correct, If you keep giving the ball away we need to explore our successes in another way — which we are very capable of doing.

There is just such a better way to handle things in public, but Ben just always comes off as if he does nothing wrong. It probably bothers me more because I believe the qb mentality should be shoulder everything. BEN works with the coordinator all week to develop the plan, BEN has control to get out of bad plays, BEN is the one that pulls the trigger into double coverage, BEN is the one who goes deep on 3rd and 5 late in the game....BEN is the head of it...own that to at least some extent. 

/rant 

Im sorry, but most of this is flat out wrong.

I agree he sometimes says stupid stuff to the media, but he shoulders blame all the time.    He did it the week before vs Jacksonville.   Ive heard him do it countless other times.     He even used to take blame back when the OLine sucked and had him running for his life, and some fans used to get mad that he didnt call them out.

Maybe Brown was SOMEWHAT at fault for the final play....maybe he wasnt at fault at all.    Either way, Ben shouldnt have said anything to the media, because he still made a stupid decision.

Im critical of Ben alot, so I'm not some Ben homer blindly defending him, but the fact is, you are way off base acting like he doesnt shoulder blame.   He does it more often than not.....the times he doesnt just stick out more.

30 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im sorry, but most of this is flat out wrong.

I agree he sometimes says stupid stuff to the media, but he shoulders blame all the time.    He did it the week before vs Jacksonville.   Ive heard him do it countless other times.     He even used to take blame back when the OLine sucked and had him running for his life, and some fans used to get mad that he didnt call them out.

Maybe Brown was SOMEWHAT at fault for the final play....maybe he wasnt at fault at all.    Either way, Ben shouldnt have said anything to the media, because he still made a stupid decision.

Im critical of Ben alot, so I'm not some Ben homer blindly defending him, but the fact is, you are way off base acting like he doesnt shoulder blame.   He does it more often than not.....the times he doesnt just stick out more.

Agreed. 

Ben said today that he’s earned the right to call out teammates (specifically it was James Washington who he said has to learn to just catch it and Brown for the wrong route)....I don’t dosagree with him at all. He is the last active Steeler with a ring. He’s shouldered Blair quite often. 

Having rewatched that game I can comfortably say that I think Ben was expecting the Slant-Out based on where his eyes looked. If Brown thought he had inside leverage and continued the slant then yes it was a wrong route. 

I just dont get:

You got the TO and :40 with the ball at the 3. 1st down should be Power I formation and run. Let the clock hit :25 and call the TO if you don’t score. :25 to run 3 pass plays inside the 3 yard line. Not all that hard. Instead we get 3 shotgun formation plays. 

Yep. Give it Connor or Nix (FB Dives seem to catch teams off guard) on 1st Down. Call TO. Then call pretty much any Passing play except a RPO. Shovel to Vance. Connor in the Flat. AB/JJ on any number of routes. Those last 3 plays were bad. As pointed out, even if that DT wasn't blocked into position for the Int, Roby undercut the route and was in prime position for the pick.   

Archived