2019 Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

If the Dallas job opens up, and he cant get assurances that Jeruh will stay out the way (contractually) then I think he takes it, but I dont see him taking any others right now.  I've got John D going to NYJ.  I've got Mike McCarthy reuniting with the brain trust he likes in Cleveland.  John Harbaugh either goes to Tampa, or opts for the brinks truck of money that USC is going to back up to his house.  I had Matt Lafleur going to Baltimore, but I'm backing off that now bc that was abysmal play calling against the Texans.  GB should go offensive coach, but history tells us you usually follow up an offensive coach with a defensive one.  Maybe they hire Pettine and he hires on John Morton as his OC.  Maybe Denver goes with a new HC, maybe Matt Campbell, but it might be a tough sell. 

Everybody is looking for one of 2 things, young offensive innovators, or someone who is going to turn a locker room around.  I'm not sure that the pool is all that big this year.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

John Harbaugh either goes to Tampa, or opts for the brinks truck of money that USC is going to back up to his house.

Haven't they already publicly stated that Helton is coming back?

I would still love to see Harbaugh in Denver if they make a change.

44 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Haven't they already publicly stated that Helton is coming back?

I would still love to see Harbaugh in Denver if they make a change.

Last I heard (which was Monday) was that they were preparing to make a big push for Harbaugh.  It sounds like it could be $10m per type deal.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, 49erurtaza said:

I'm surprised someone like Pete Carmichael isn't getting head coaching consideration. Has been OC for almost a decade with the saints. I know he doesn't call plays but should at least be considered.

There’s gotta be more to Carmichael then the fans see. Whether he doesn’t have the mentality to lead a locker room or I don’t know what. Ryan Pace was an executive in New Orleans for 12 seasons when he became the HC of Chicago, he had TWO separate chances to hire Carmichael and went a different direction both times. Says a lot...

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

There’s gotta be more to Carmichael then the fans see. Whether he doesn’t have the mentality to lead a locker room or I don’t know what. Ryan Pace was an executive in New Orleans for 12 seasons when he became the HC of Chicago, he had TWO separate chances to hire Carmichael and went a different direction both times. Says a lot...

He not only didn't hire him, he didnt interview him.  The first time around he wanted Dan Quinn, but ownership pushed Fox (thank you Ernie Acorsi). This time he went straight after Nagy.  Maybe Pete.gets an interview out of respect when Payton leaves but there must be a reason why the guy who continuously coordinates top 5 offenses doesn't get a look from anybody.  Vic is never going to get an opportunity either and it's a damn shame for him, but good for the Bears.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, TankWilliams said:

I'm praying that Vic is happy with his spot as DC in Chicago and doesn't intend to take a HC job.  That being said, I still think he'd make a good HC, and you'd have some very interesting press conferences.  

I think he stays as a permanent DC. It is an offense minded league, but if they are DCs and are younger like Quinn and Bowles were then they might get a shot, but I just don't think a first time head coach will be the what 3rd or 4th oldest coach in the NFL. There is Hoodie, Carroll, and Zimmer that are older. Maybe 1-2 more? Just seems like a longshot IMO.

If the Panthers miss the playoffs (or maybe even if they make it at say, 9-7), it sounds like Rivera's time may be coming to an end too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-owner-david-tepper-getting-antsy-mulling-new-hires-if-losing-continues/amp/

Tepper, who is considered incredibly bright and engaged and who the league very much wanted to take over another team after his years spent as a minority owner in Pittsburgh, came into the season comfortable with the team's coaching and management situation and was not looking to make moves, according to numerous sources familiar with his thinking, but has been reaching out increasingly to confidants and associates around the league in recent weeks and expressing a growing sense that he may need to shake up the organization. Tepper has been concerned about the lack of analytics in the franchise and has wondered whether the franchise was too old school in some regards, and the collapse of their defense and some recent in-game decisions by coach Ron Rivera have added to the unrest, the sources said.

Rivera isn't a bad coach, but he has a dated mentality and the defense is still giving up big plays late in games as frequently as they were in 2011.  

It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to get hired again.  He's had success here, but he doesn't have the same name value as a Harbaugh or McCarthy.  I'm certain he would get hired as a defensive coordinator somewhere though.  The Cowboys might have been a good fit for him as a HC; he would have the linebackers for his defense and a good running game + offensive line in place, but Garrett ain't getting fired.

Archived