2019 Offseason Plan

TheVillain112

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Seeing someone shut down by Bama didn't keep them from drafting Ross.....

Different scenario though isn't it? Quarterback has much more freedom to succeed in a vacuum.  He's just a couple inches shorter than Russell Wilson and not nearly as sturdy. I really don't see it working. Anyway,  I'm not rooting against the guy, just hope I don't end up rooting for him. 

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I have a gut feeling Taylor is going to draft Daniel Jones to be his Goff and let him sit a year behind Andy.

None of the QBs really interest me at 11, except maybe for Kyler Murray - who has more star potential. They all seem to have their own discouraging fatal flaw that makes me wary of using pick 11 on them. I think we should go BPA as often as possible, infuse some talent in the offensive line and defensive front 7, let Taylor do his thing offensively and to get his feet wet head coaching, and possibly look at QB next draft depending on how Dalton and Taylor mesh. 

I'm still on team Dalton. He played well last season. He just needs some serious help. 

Right now, I'd prefer we take LB, OL, DL, and CB in some variation in the first 3-4 rounds. LB seems to be the weakest class of the three. Ideally Devin White is there when we pick at 11. DL, OL, and CB seem to have quite a bit of depth and talent outside of the first round. Free agency is going to be interesting this year. Last season we saw our FO become a bit more aggressive when acquiring Cordy Glenn. It'll be interesting just how and if we keep that momentum going. I think there is a chance we make one or two aggressive moves/offers instead of reverting back to our outdated, conservative ways - especially under a new young HC.  Let's hope. 

Not saying I am comfortable with Jones at 11, Goodberry had a good review on him a week or so ago and has real reservations, but coaches tend to go with what they know, and Jones reminds me a lot of Goff (stature, pocket QB, play style).  

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Different scenario though isn't it? Quarterback has much more freedom to succeed in a vacuum.  He's just a couple inches shorter than Russell Wilson and not nearly as sturdy. I really don't see it working. Anyway,  I'm not rooting against the guy, just hope I don't end up rooting for him. 

I feel the same way.  But we don't know how Taylor would use him.  No way i'd consider it with Marvin.  As I said before, I wouldn't draft him simply because he has leverage to go play baseball if he didn't want to play here.  

38 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

None of the QBs really interest me at 11, except maybe for Kyler Murray - who has more star potential. They all seem to have their own discouraging fatal flaw that makes me wary of using pick 11 on them. I think we should go BPA as often as possible, infuse some talent in the offensive line and defensive front 7, let Taylor do his thing offensively and to get his feet wet head coaching, and possibly look at QB next draft depending on how Dalton and Taylor mesh. 

I'm still on team Dalton. He played well last season. He just needs some serious help. 

Right now, I'd prefer we take LB, OL, DL, and CB in some variation in the first 3-4 rounds. LB seems to be the weakest class of the three. Ideally Devin White is there when we pick at 11. DL, OL, and CB seem to have quite a bit of depth and talent outside of the first round. Free agency is going to be interesting this year. Last season we saw our FO become a bit more aggressive when acquiring Cordy Glenn. It'll be interesting just how and if we keep that momentum going. I think there is a chance we make one or two aggressive moves/offers instead of reverting back to our outdated, conservative ways - especially under a new young HC.  Let's hope. 

Grab the o-linemen in free agency.  Take White, but if he's gone, trade back and use the extra picks to take multiple LBs early.  If they don't get a great OT in free agency, trade back and take Risner.  Then 2 LBs in the second if there's guys you like.  

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Grab the o-linemen in free agency.

My main target via FA is Roger Saffold to play RG or RT. He can also play the left side in a pinch. I'm hoping Taylor poaches him from LA.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Take White, but if he's gone, trade back and use the extra picks to take multiple LBs early.  If they don't get a great OT in free agency, trade back and take Risner.  Then 2 LBs in the second if there's guys you like.  

Theoretically it's a solid plan, but I don't like the idea of drafting two LBs with the intent on giving them meaningful snaps early. Ideally, we pair Devin White with a veteran FA signee (at worst someone like Thomas Davis) to bridge the gap between now and next season - alongside Vigil. Who knows, maybe even Malik Jefferson shows something in preseason. 

Other notable FA linebackers: KJ Wright, CJ Mosley, Patrick Onwuasor, Kwon Alexander, Cory Littleton.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Not saying I am comfortable with Jones at 11, Goodberry had a good review on him a week or so ago and has real reservations, but coaches tend to go with what they know, and Jones reminds me a lot of Goff (stature, pocket QB, play style).  

Fair enough, though I think Goff was by far the better prospect. Oddly enough, Jones has been drawing comparisons to Ryan Tannehill, who Taylor has obvious ties to since Texas A&M.

“The game is getting faster, so on defense, you know, I think we're going to be looking for speed, which we always are. You're never looking for slow, but you know that's going to be a focus of what we do,” Tobin said. “We want guys that can run, that can cover. The game is becoming a passing game, so you want guys that can cover on the two-back levels, that can run, that have some flexibility to them, that have a feel in coverage because that's such a vital component of the game that we play right now.

“And you're always looking for guys on the lines, guys that are quick twitch, explosive, fast, sudden, strong, guys that can gain position on opponents out of their stance. We're always looking on both lines of scrimmage. You just can never have enough big guys. We'll be focused there; we'll be focused on speed on defense.”

- Duke Tobin, telling us what we want to hear. Offensive line, defensive line, and linebacker.

https://www.bengals.com/news/scouts-business-as-usual

“And you're always looking for guys on the lines, guys that are quick twitch, explosive, fast, sudden, strong, guys that can gain position on opponents out of their stance. We're always looking on both lines of scrimmage. You just can never have enough big guys. We'll be focused there; we'll be focused on speed on defense.”

Image result for ah yes gif

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think Price will be solid but never amazing. 

Heres a a question for you all. If we are sitting at 11 and these 3 players are on the board who do you take?

- Jonah Williams OT

- Ed Oliver DT

- Devin White LB

i think you have to take Williams

I think I addressed this in a mock when the poster had us pass them all to take Ferrell.  

Williams, White, Oliver

If we grab a lineman or two in free agency, then 

White 

Williams

Oliver

But I could easily justify taking Oliver in that situation.

If we are going purely BPA, then:  Oliver, White, Williams

17 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think Price will be solid but never amazing. 

Heres a a question for you all. If we are sitting at 11 and these 3 players are on the board who do you take?

- Jonah Williams OT

- Ed Oliver DT

- Devin White LB

i think you have to take Williams

Williams or Oliver.  I'm leaning towards Oliver but would be thrilled with Williams as well.  I'll be mad if we take White with those two on the board.

I fully expect the Ed Oliver hype to explode after he destroys the combine...

Archived