What are your top 5 Packer draft picks that you really wanted.

PackerLegend

The two that come to mind are Rodgers, Cobb and Bulaga. Back in the day I really wanted Torrence Marshall (looked like Tarzan, played like Jane.) I also have to admit I was pulling for us to get Janis. He's from not too far from where I grew up. 

The Rodgers one really stands out because after Tennessee passed on him it looked pretty clear to me he would slide down to us. I even called my brother (another draft nut) and told him he was going to be there when we picked and we were going to take him. He laughed! Similar funny when we took Cobb because he wanted a kid from Miami that went to Washington and was a total wash out. 

21 minutes ago, Golfman said:

(looked like Tarzan, played like Jane.) 

The Rodgers one really stands out because after Tennessee passed on him it looked pretty clear to me he would slide down to us. I even called my brother (another draft nut) and told him he was going to be there when we picked and we were going to take him. He laughed! Similar funny when we took Cobb because he wanted a kid from Miami that went to Washington and was a total wash out. 

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" is my favourite bit of scoutspeak. 

I don't recall how I felt about Rodgers at the time - I wasn't as upset as the "PUT WEAPONS AROUND FAVRE!" crowd, because he was a TREMENDOUS value at that spot and with Favre's constant waffling about retirement, you almost HAD to make that move. Clearly, it worked out for the best, unless you have the view that the Mandarich pick was good because it replaced Braatz/Infante with Wolf/Holmgren. In other words, having Rodgers kept Thompson/McCarthy around longer than it should've, but those two also tallied 4 NFCCG appearances and SB win so they clearly don't suck. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I can only look back and smile when I think about how happy I was when GB drafted Mandrich

People look back at what a colossal bust he was and wonder "how?" but I don't recall anyone, anywhere, deriding him being picked that high. Worst part about the Mandarich pick is the other 4 guys in the top 5 were all Hall of Famers, and #6 (Broderick Thomas) had a long if not spectacular career. The draft was LOADED and GB walked out with Matt Brock and Chris Jacke being the only useful players (Query was good as a #3 or 4 WR, but when he's the 3rd best player in your draft, you've got problems)

I was very happy when Notre Dame Tackle/Guard Aaron Taylor was drafted in the 1994 draft, 16th overall. Injuries did for him, but I though t he'd be great, when drafted.

Again, I was happy when Rollins was drafted. Such awesome production from a guy playing his first year of college football. Again, disappointment.

Lacy and King were the two that I really wanted.

I was very excited with Raji and Matthews.  Remember thinking we nailed it when we traded back up in the first and took Clay. 

Going to have that feeling again this year when we use our first pick, then trade up slightly with our second to secure our second stud that propels us to Super Bowl glory in 2 years.

Archived