16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

I would too - but I know nothing about the guy - which prompts the question:

Outside him being professional buddies with Murphy - what defines him as the HC we want?
Cant say I'm reading everything there is about the guy, but I've yet to see a detailed accounting of what he's got going for him.
Turning around a college program? Okay - an achievement - wont diss it - but how and why he did it and how he's going to add to our organization - I've yet to read that in any detail.

He's a culture hire .. Packer People if you will.  He's a leader, teacher, and a motivator.  He's up there with the best when it comes to the intangibles.  He's a program builder ... just the type of guy people want to work for and play for.  His teams are tough, and he gets a ton out of them despite some of the athletic limitations that Northwestern faces.

Matt LaFluer HC - feel his line of credibility in QB work and offensive innovation makes him the top candidate. Even before he joined the McVay tree of coaches, I like that he's been around a lot of the great new NFL minds. Kyle Shannahan, McVay, Vrabel etc it could prove worthwhile as he develops his philosophy as a HC.

Zac Taylor OC - QB coach for Rams, has done some great things with Goff, feel he won't even get a look but potentially if we get the above in LaFluer maybe he brings Taylor over as OC. I feel in McVay's system this year he has been the pseudo OC as the QB coach but doesn't have the label. Would put some great young minds together that could forge some good things with 12 and the offense.

As for Mcdaniels, this is the front office doing their due diligence, he has no place in GB. He's a horrible culture guy (Denver, back out on Indy) so I'm not sure how he can patch that in a room a men he intends to lead. He wants the NE gig after Bellicheat is done, just let him lay there and give a guy that wants to prove something a chance.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's a culture hire .. Packer People if you will.  He's a leader, teacher, and a motivator.  He's up there with the best when it comes to the intangibles.  He's a program builder ... just the type of guy people want to work for and play for.  His teams are tough, and he gets a ton out of them despite some of the athletic limitations that Northwestern faces.

Hmmmmm.....thanks for that info. Gives me a focal point on the guy.

Listen - I've never even been to GB and I most certainly dont know whats going on in the locker room or if our 2018 performance was caused by "bad culture" or failure to execute - but - I'm not looking for a "Packer Person" to be the HC. In fact, I might have some ideas what constitutes such a person - but dont know anything to be fact - so those thoughts die on the vine.

I like the "teams are tough" angle. Think GB could use a bit more "Go kill them" mentality to be honest - but I'm looking more for an X's & O's kinda guy. Which is why I'm good with McDaniels. He's NFL experienced. A leader of NFL players. He's been to the mountaintop - and succeeded - so the jobs not too big for him anymore - and he's got the offensive designs down.

We go Fitz's way - we better land a top notch OC. Thats all I'll say - or better put - all I can say. 

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This is exactly why he is their top target, they need to go all in on this and get him into GB. He takes care of the team aspects that slipped away under MAC and holds all accountable to the Fitz way so to speak.

You can then hopefully keep Pettine as DC and bring in a bright mind to have full control of the offense. 

12 isn't the leader we all tend to think he is, Favre was to that extent. Why I draw the comparison is this team has had musical chairs within the players as to who leads this team, the Fitz hire speaks loudly that he is the LEAD for all to follow. Allows players to get back to playing as they like, Aaron doesn't seem to like to take charge in this regard so this hopefully allows him to get back to being the best QB in the league.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hmmmmm.....thanks for that info. Gives me a focal point on the guy.

Listen - I've never even been to GB and I most certainly dont know whats going on in the locker room or if our 2018 performance was caused by "bad culture" or failure to execute - but - I'm not looking for a "Packer Person" to be the HC. In fact, I might have some ideas what constitutes such a person - but dont know anything to be fact - so those thoughts die on the vine.

I like the "teams are tough" angle. Think GB could use a bit more "Go kill them" mentality to be honest - but I'm looking more for an X's & O's kinda guy. Which is why I'm good with McDaniels. He's NFL experienced. A leader of NFL players. He's been to the mountaintop - and succeeded - so the jobs not too big for him anymore - and he's got the offensive designs down.

We go Fitz's way - we better land a top notch OC. Thats all I'll say - or better put - all I can say. 

I like Fitz and McDaniels, but they are kind of polar opposites of one another.  Fitz is a defense and S/T guy ... McDaniels is an offensive wizard.  Fitz is a culture guy and program builder, while McDaniels brings a wealth of offensive knowledge to the table.  Who do you want up leading the team meeting ... Fitzgerald .. he's authentic and a class individual that people naturally follow.  

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I like Fitz and McDaniels, but they are kind of polar opposites of one another.  Fitz is a defense and S/T guy ... McDaniels is an offensive wizard.  Fitz is a culture guy and program builder, while McDaniels brings a wealth of offensive knowledge to the table.  Who do you want up leading the team meeting ... Fitzgerald .. he's authentic and a class individual that people naturally follow.  

Theres an interesting dichotomy here......

First - I'm not running Fitzpatrick down at all. Just learning about him and while I've got opinions, it generally takes awhile for me to build one.

So Fitz is the culture guy. Authentic. Class and someone that people follow naturally  -  good attributes all  -  BUT  - (to my knowledge at least.....) he's not had any NFL HC coaching positions. Coaching-wise, has he accomplished or achieved anything at the NFL level? 

People talk about the NFL now as a place where you've gotta get thru and connect with your players - and you've got an increasingly small window to do it - or they tune you out. Short career lengths for NFL players? Doesnt matter apparently. Lots of player turnover/movement? Doesnt matter apparently. You've gotta connect or all will be lost.

Now take a guy like MM. A proven winner. Accomplished at the highest level. Seemed like a good culture guy. Seemed authentic to me  -  BUT  - apparently - his accomplishments and achievement werent enough for this crew of NFL players to stay tuned in. Go to the Playoffs nine years running? Doesnt matter apparently. Win your Division more times than not? Doesnt matter. Win a SuperBowl? Yeah - but that was years ago.

None of it mattered in MM case.

So why do we think a relative NFL outsider - and again, I'm not dissing Fitzpatrick - can come in and command the respect and allegiance necessary to succeed at the NFL level in Green Bay? Because he's "Packer People?"

24 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

This is exactly why he is their top target, they need to go all in on this and get him into GB. He takes care of the team aspects that slipped away under MAC and holds all accountable to the Fitz way so to speak.

You can then hopefully keep Pettine as DC and bring in a bright mind to have full control of the offense. 

12 isn't the leader we all tend to think he is, Favre was to that extent. Why I draw the comparison is this team has had musical chairs within the players as to who leads this team, the Fitz hire speaks loudly that he is the LEAD for all to follow. Allows players to get back to playing as they like, Aaron doesn't seem to like to take charge in this regard so this hopefully allows him to get back to being the best QB in the league.

It sounds like you don't want to believe it, but Josh McDaniels is the top target.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Theres an interesting dichotomy here......

First - I'm not running Fitzpatrick down at all. Just learning about him and while I've got opinions, it generally takes awhile for me to build one.

So Fitz is the culture guy. Authentic. Class and someone that people follow naturally  -  good attributes all  -  BUT  - (to my knowledge at least.....) he's not had any NFL HC coaching positions. Coaching-wise, has he accomplished or achieved anything at the NFL level? 

People talk about the NFL now as a place where you've gotta get thru and connect with your players - and you've got an increasingly small window to do it - or they tune you out. Short career lengths for NFL players? Doesnt matter apparently. Lots of player turnover/movement? Doesnt matter apparently. You've gotta connect or all will be lost.

Now take a guy like MM. A proven winner. Accomplished at the highest level. Seemed like a good culture guy. Seemed authentic to me  -  BUT  - apparently - his accomplishments and achievement werent enough for this crew of NFL players to stay tuned in. Go to the Playoffs nine years running? Doesnt matter apparently. Win your Division more times than not? Doesnt matter. Win a SuperBowl? Yeah - but that was years ago.

None of it mattered in MM case.

So why do we think a relative NFL outsider - and again, I'm not dissing Fitzpatrick - can come in and command the respect and allegiance necessary to succeed at the NFL level in Green Bay? Because he's "Packer People?"

McCarthy seemed to have a pretty firm grasp on things until the last year or two ... pretty much a strong decade of leadership that just eventually ran its course.  

As for Fitzgerald .. I just think he's the kind of guy that Packers organization wants/prefers to be running their program. It would be imperative that he land a strong OC, but having an all-pro talent like Aaron Rodgers on hand lessens the blow a little.  A couple of the national writers seemed to think he'd be able to attract top coaching talent, because he has a great reputation with the scouting community.  There have been plenty of folks who think he's a big time talent.  I don't know what kind of learning curve would be needed for Fitz at the pro level .. I just see him as a guy you want leading your team for the next decade +.

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It sounds like you don't want to believe it, but Josh McDaniels is the top target.

How do you prove this? This is just as much an opinion as mine, zero fact involved. And if you're using their interview with him as fact then you have to state Fitz is their top target because he's actively stated he doesn't want the gig but GB is still actively finding a way to pursue him for the role.

The national media is in love with McD for the GB gig, I'll bet a bottom dollar McD is treading water until he can have NE. He has zero interest in anything else (IE Colts last year) be great if Indy knocked out NE in the playoffs. 

Just now, GWH87 said:

How do you prove this? This is just as much an opinion as mine, zero fact involved. And if you're using their interview with him as fact then you have to state Fitz is their top target because he's actively stated he doesn't want the gig but GB is still actively finding a way to pursue him for the role.

The national media is in love with McD for the GB gig, I'll bet a bottom dollar McD is treading water until he can have NE. He has zero interest in anything else (IE Colts last year) be great if Indy knocked out NE in the playoffs

It would be great because then we could announce McDaniels as the head coach sooner B|

10 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

The national media is in love with McD for the GB gig, I'll bet a bottom dollar McD is treading water until he can have NE. He has zero interest in anything else (IE Colts last year) be great if Indy knocked out NE in the playoffs. 

Ok. But you're wrong.

He's going to be our coach. Just sayin' you should prepare yourself.

Archived